News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tail light chrome surround for 69, anyone making these?

Started by Lord Warlock, January 30, 2014, 09:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

Just wondering if anyone makes the chrome trim that goes around the rear tail lights on a 69,  mine are pitted pretty badly and would need to be rechromed, but at least i have them.  Trying to find replacements now before i actually need them.  Also need to find the chrome pieces on the sides of the extension panels, seen these on ebay for 149-185.00. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

bill440rt

PG Classics/BEA offers the tail light surround trim. I have a set on my '69, purchased from BEA.

Pretty sure Firestone Collectibles is offering the tail panel end trim moldings.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Lord Warlock

thanks bill, I'll take a look at their online site or my catalog, i'm sure they cost more than i want to spend but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet on some pieces. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

FWIW, I can't tell you how it fits but I can tell you that I've seen it at displays and it sure does look good.

bill440rt

Quote from: Lord Warlock on January 31, 2014, 03:37:31 AM
thanks bill, I'll take a look at their online site or my catalog, i'm sure they cost more than i want to spend but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet on some pieces. 

If you think they cost a lot wait until you get an estimate for rechroming. It was higher.  :o
I tried a local guy out who was inexpensive, and he destroyed my originals. They weren't in that great shape to begin with.

The repro quality is on par with orginals. The face of them is nice, the flat parts have some light marks in the chrome. I went thru about a dozen sets of the repros at a swap meet looking for a good one. One side seemingly had some kind of stress crack up top along the flat part. This was found on ALL of them. I picked up the best set I could find, and swiped a thin layer of epoxy along the crack so it wouldn't spread or discolor. You don't see it once they are installed.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

twodko

True that. I bought a pair from BEA, $275! but they fit and look great
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Lord Warlock

May as well ask since you brought up rechroming, whats a bumper usually cost to get rechromed?  front is pretty good, but has spot discoloration in a couple places, polishing made alot of it get better, back has a good shine but has a couple dings that show.  Have to look at BEA.

fy469rtse

if thats an original bumber , rechrome it , repopps thinner show distortions once you line it adjust to fit your car, rear is worse , only way to fix , bought an original and had it repaired and I'm in Australia, $$$,
oh and thanks Bill  :2thumbs:was considering tail light bezels but just wanted to know fit quality etc before i coughed up the doh, anyone used the lenses as well ?

Lord Warlock

Both my bumpers would be considered originals, although rear was swapped out, it came off another of the same year.  Just steeling myself for a perceived expense.  haven't called the local plater to get an estimate yet, figured i'd ask here, its simpler.  The tail light chrome is working itself down the list of items to focus on. 

twenty mike mike

The fit of the taillight trim is all over the map. I got my taillight lenses and trim from Classic Industries, but they get them from P.G. Classic. The lenses were fine, but one of the trim pieces was kinda close and the other wasn't anywhere close. I sent the the trim back and called Mike at B/E&A, who suggested sending my taillights to him and he would find a pair that fit and install them. He gets his trim from P.G. Classic also, but he has enough in stock that he can find the ones that actually fit. They came out great. I don't know if he'll install a trim set on an old pair of lenses, but it's worth a call. He's a great guy to talk to, and it's hard to find customer service like that anywhere.

http://www.beaparts.com/

Ghoste

If PG make the lens and the trim you would think it would be cheap to get one of those Chinese kids to fit them PROPERLY before the parts get on the boat and then sell them as an affordable set?  It's pretty rare to need lenses and not need the trim replaced as well.

twenty mike mike

Quote from: Ghoste on February 05, 2014, 09:54:11 AM
If PG make the lens and the trim you would think it would be cheap to get one of those Chinese kids to fit them PROPERLY before the parts get on the boat and then sell them as an affordable set?  It's pretty rare to need lenses and not need the trim replaced as well.

I don't know how deeply PG is in the management of the factories where this stuff is made, but it's obvious that the trim people and the lens people don't talk to each other. However, if PG can afford multiple rejects from Mike, they're making quite a profit and they probably don't feel the need for process improvement.

twodko

Quote from: Ghoste on February 05, 2014, 09:54:11 AM

That's right, it makes you wonder about the profit margin.
I have three sets of 69 lens, one's on the car, and they all needed new trim. The other two pair will be trimmed out
by their new future owners.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

jaak

Quote from: Lord Warlock on February 04, 2014, 08:47:14 PM
Both my bumpers would be considered originals, although rear was swapped out, it came off another of the same year.  Just steeling myself for a perceived expense.  haven't called the local plater to get an estimate yet, figured i'd ask here, its simpler.  The tail light chrome is working itself down the list of items to focus on.  

I got a quote a few years back, they wanted 475 per bumper, and like 50-60 each for the bumperettes.
Since my car is a nice 'driver', I bought the AMD repops (315 each w/bumperettes), AMD bumpers are good, not great. A lot better than crusty originals, but not as nice as rechromed originals.

Jason

Lord Warlock

I suppose i'll find out what it will cost to do the rear bumper in new chrome, the front just isn't bad enough to replace yet, wouldn't be able to remove the bumper from the supports in front  anyway, they were stuck on pretty good when the bumper was off the car.  the replacements are priced pretty fair considering the cost for redoing an original.  Rear bumperettes are in good shape, front ones need replacing or rechroming.

Tail light trim didn't fall into the high priority buy list today, they're on the list for later though.  Like after i finish the valence work and paint work in the back.  Add another 1k to the build costs, just for new glass, mirrors and dash pad, and a few small items.  Nothing is cheap on these cars anymore.