News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Performer RPM

Started by Scottrod1, January 21, 2014, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: Lord Warlock on April 25, 2014, 07:52:06 PM
Anyone tried using the edelbrock triangle air cleaner?  I used one of these in the 70s and 80s and its low profile and keeps bugs out just fine.  
http://www.hunterscustom.com/thumb.php?img=images/ede1002.jpg&w=284

I ran that one originally.  It does clear the hood great.  BUT, I later read it restricts airflow too much.  Also, I had a timing issue and one backfire caused pieces of melted foam in my carb.  

jdscofield

don't know on the 68/69 chargers, but I have one on my 74 and had to cut the hood and install a 6 pack scoop.
MOPAR or no car

Lord Warlock

Hard to believe it restricts air flow, as it is almost totally open on top, it performed as well or better than the stock air cleaner did when i used it.  I tried several and didn't find one that felt like it did a better job than that one did.  I can understand backfires melting the foam though, need to have the timing set right to avoid backfires. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

crj1968

Quote from: myk on April 25, 2014, 05:05:18 PM
Quote from: Lifsgrt on April 25, 2014, 02:11:51 PM
Sorry for the delay...the kickdown linkage is the only tight spot, using a high-rise throttle bracket.  The linkage just rubs the base, so I put a couple of carb to air cleaner gaskets in place to raise it up a bit.  :2thumbs:

So the only other thing you had to buy was this higher throttle bracket?  Got a measurement or a part number?  Also, I'm assuming you had to extend the kickdown linkage quite a bit as well?

I am running a performer RPM with Edelbrock carb,  I was able to use my factory bracket and kickdown (extended near it's limit) The only thing that came up short was my throttle cable, but the was rigged easily enough. 

myk

Quote from: crj1968 on April 30, 2014, 12:32:25 PM
Quote from: myk on April 25, 2014, 05:05:18 PM
Quote from: Lifsgrt on April 25, 2014, 02:11:51 PM
Sorry for the delay...the kickdown linkage is the only tight spot, using a high-rise throttle bracket.  The linkage just rubs the base, so I put a couple of carb to air cleaner gaskets in place to raise it up a bit.  :2thumbs:

So the only other thing you had to buy was this higher throttle bracket?  Got a measurement or a part number?  Also, I'm assuming you had to extend the kickdown linkage quite a bit as well?

I am running a performer RPM with Edelbrock carb,  I was able to use my factory bracket and kickdown (extended near it's limit) The only thing that came up short was my throttle cable, but the was rigged easily enough. 

That's great to hear!  I might have to reconsider the RPM...

crj1968

I can take a picture for you.
I will probably put on that taller bracket just to change the angle of my kickdown. It works but is about 2mm from hitting the bottom of my air cleaner.

myk

Quote from: crj1968 on May 01, 2014, 09:22:39 AM
I can take a picture for you.
I will probably put on that taller bracket just to change the angle of my kickdown. It works but is about 2mm from hitting the bottom of my air cleaner.

I guess I could install that full-manual valve body and eliminate the kickdown stuff...

crj1968

True, I've done that in the past (80's) becasue it used to be "the thing to do" for some reason. 
For a street car, it sucked. I much prefer the kickdown.

myk

Quote from: crj1968 on May 01, 2014, 09:53:16 AM
True, I've done that in the past (80's) becasue it used to be "the thing to do" for some reason. 
For a street car, it sucked. I much prefer the kickdown.

Interesting.  Did it suck in the same manner as some say driving a manual transmission car does?

darkside

I looked at a friend of mines 69 440 general lee yesterday and he has a 440 with a rpm intake on it and fits fine under hood with drop base.

crj1968

Here's those pics MYK.

My drop base didnt fit with a 3" element and edelbrock carb, did fit with a holley. Fine with a 2" on the Eddy. Actually had to use a Mr gasket base as it fit better than the edelbrock one over the choke. Funny edelbrock cant make a base to clear their own electric choke design.   :shruggy: