News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Performer RPM

Started by Scottrod1, January 21, 2014, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottrod1

Hi guys, I'm getting close to finishing my 69 RT and need some advice.  Does Edelbrocks performer RPM fit under our stock hoods? I dont want to cut a hole or use a six pack hood to clear the carb so I'm hoping some of you have one on youre ride and point me in the right direction. I know the Holley Street Dominator is a good intake that is a low rise design but I want a dual plane for the street. Thanks guys! ::)

myk

Don't know if the Performer RPM is any different from the regular Performer in dimensions, which is what I run, but I have no clearance issues with it, the 'Eddy 1411 'carb or the 3" K&N filter that sits on top of it all...

don duick

I don't have a performer rpm intake.
It is higher than the performer {or nonperformer} as it  commonly referred to.
to clear the hood you need a dropbase air cleaner.
Bad luck if you want to use your stock  air cleaner

Ghoste

Quite a bit different from the regular Performer and height is one.  As mentioned you'll need a dropbase aircleaner, I think some guys used a Ford Motorcraft one.

XH29N0G

Quote from: Ghoste on January 21, 2014, 07:02:47 AM
Quite a bit different from the regular Performer and height is one.  As mentioned you'll need a dropbase aircleaner, I think some guys used a Ford Motorcraft one.

:yesnod:

I am assuming 440? 

Even with a 383 (in a 70) I have 3.5 inches or less from the carb to the hood.  The stock air cleaner will still fit (on the 383), but it is too close to the hood.  Addition of a drop base to the stock one looks OK, but puts the choke horn too close to the top of the air cleaner.  The design of the 69 air cleaners are different.  I don't know if you can play with the filter height and a drop base.  Otherwise, you may need an aftermarket drop base air cleaner.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Ghoste

Yes, sorry since he said RT I assumed it was a 440.  I never thought about messing with filter height, someone else will likely have a better answer there.
Edelbrock does list the measurements on their website.

Back N Black

I have the Performer RPM on my 440 with a stock unsilenced air cleaner. I used a ford drop base and the kickdown cable from Bouchillion.

Troy

Quote from: Back N Black on January 21, 2014, 08:26:38 AM
I have the Performer RPM on my 440 with a stock unsilenced air cleaner. I used a ford drop base.
:iagree: There are several threads with information on various drop bases. They are cheap and give you the clearance. This is how mine will be set up.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

mopar0166

i just did an engine with one and its a bit tight and that with an air cleaner adapter, i had to make my own to fit the way i wnated

GPULLER

What are all you guys running for a trans?  Wont the drop base hit the kickdown linkage if your running an auto.

BIGBLCK11

I had a problem with the 1.75" drop base hitting the horizontally mounted coil on the Perf. RPM, with a 383.  I went to an msd and vertical mount for the coil on the inner fender.  Although not stock looking enough for some.  I didn't end up running with the drop base and changed to an aluminum air cleaner and milled over a 1/2 off the bottom.

RECHRGD

Quote from: GPULLER on January 21, 2014, 04:57:36 PM
What are all you guys running for a trans?  Wont the drop base hit the kickdown linkage if your running an auto.

Yes.  I had to grind down the linkage quite a bit.
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Quote from: RECHRGD on January 21, 2014, 07:27:46 PM

The other option is to install a cable style kickdown from Bouchillion or Lokar.  ;)

As tall as the RPM intake is....you will have to modify it someway or go aftermarket cable style. This is why I like the Holley Street Dominator....it fits with the stock linkage, is an inch shorter and makes better horsepower than the RPM allthough it will give up a bit of torque down low. Not really give it up but just push the powerband up higher.  ;)

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69wannabe

I have the Performer RPM on my 440 with a stock unsilenced air cleaner. I used a ford drop base.

Same here, I still got my factory breather and I bought a Ford motocraft 13 1/2 inch mustang breather if I remember correctly. It has about a 1'' drop base and I even have a heat insulator spacer under my carb and it still works with the factory hood. It's a fairly thin spacer tho. Bout 1/4 inch think I think but had to have it my carb was flooding due to heat soak!!

2Luke2

We put the performer rpm intake on our 440 and we are using a K&N drop filter. We are definitely going to replace it for a cold air intake if we can find one that looks good and is big enough. The clearance is close on our 70 R/T. Not sure if there is a big difference in 69 to 70.

As far as the tranny we put in a full reverse manual valve body... no more kickdown cap for us. :)

1974dodgecharger

can you tell me where to buy this drop base I need one due to my M1 intake I had to buy a air intake that does really fit, but thin enough for the mopar performance round top.

Ghoste

Jegs or Summit or likely most any other speed shop or your local Ford dealer.

70-500-SE-EXPORT

Won't fit without a drop base. If you have hood insulation it will rub even with a drop base. I actually modified the stock base using a press and two rings.. one to support the center and one to press the outer section down. It only needs to be bent down 1/2 inch or so.
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

myk

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 21, 2014, 09:11:01 PM

The other option is to install a cable style kickdown from Bouchillion or Lokar.  ;)

As tall as the RPM intake is....you will have to modify it someway or go aftermarket cable style. This is why I like the Holley Street Dominator....it fits with the stock linkage, is an inch shorter and makes better horsepower than the RPM allthough it will give up a bit of torque down low. Not really give it up but just push the powerband up higher.  ;)

Ron

Is the Holley a single or dual plane manifold?  Summit lists it as both at the same time... :shruggy:  Either way, I've got to ditch this Performer POS...

69wannabe

Quote from: myk on January 26, 2014, 08:56:32 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 21, 2014, 09:11:01 PM

The holley street dominator is a single plane intake and works well on aggressive built 440's with bigger cams and a good set of worked heads. That's why I went with the RPM intake since it's a high rise dual plane intake. It's kinda the best of both worlds in my opinion!! :yesnod:

Ron

Is the Holley a single or dual plane manifold?  Summit lists it as both at the same time... :shruggy:  Either way, I've got to ditch this Performer POS...

Lifsgrt

Mine fits fine under the stock hood, but I use an old Moroso drop-base air cleaner from the way-back machine...
Best time 11.07@121

myk

Quote from: Lifsgrt on February 19, 2014, 10:15:59 PM
Mine fits fine under the stock hood, but I use an old Moroso drop-base air cleaner from the way-back machine...

What brackets or 'mods did you have to do with your linkages to get it to work?

Lifsgrt

Sorry for the delay...the kickdown linkage is the only tight spot, using a high-rise throttle bracket.  The linkage just rubs the base, so I put a couple of carb to air cleaner gaskets in place to raise it up a bit.  :2thumbs:
Best time 11.07@121

myk

Quote from: Lifsgrt on April 25, 2014, 02:11:51 PM
Sorry for the delay...the kickdown linkage is the only tight spot, using a high-rise throttle bracket.  The linkage just rubs the base, so I put a couple of carb to air cleaner gaskets in place to raise it up a bit.  :2thumbs:

So the only other thing you had to buy was this higher throttle bracket?  Got a measurement or a part number?  Also, I'm assuming you had to extend the kickdown linkage quite a bit as well?

Lord Warlock

Anyone tried using the edelbrock triangle air cleaner?  I used one of these in the 70s and 80s and its low profile and keeps bugs out just fine. 
http://www.hunterscustom.com/thumb.php?img=images/ede1002.jpg&w=284
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: Lord Warlock on April 25, 2014, 07:52:06 PM
Anyone tried using the edelbrock triangle air cleaner?  I used one of these in the 70s and 80s and its low profile and keeps bugs out just fine.  
http://www.hunterscustom.com/thumb.php?img=images/ede1002.jpg&w=284

I ran that one originally.  It does clear the hood great.  BUT, I later read it restricts airflow too much.  Also, I had a timing issue and one backfire caused pieces of melted foam in my carb.  

jdscofield

don't know on the 68/69 chargers, but I have one on my 74 and had to cut the hood and install a 6 pack scoop.
MOPAR or no car

Lord Warlock

Hard to believe it restricts air flow, as it is almost totally open on top, it performed as well or better than the stock air cleaner did when i used it.  I tried several and didn't find one that felt like it did a better job than that one did.  I can understand backfires melting the foam though, need to have the timing set right to avoid backfires. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

crj1968

Quote from: myk on April 25, 2014, 05:05:18 PM

So the only other thing you had to buy was this higher throttle bracket?  Got a measurement or a part number?  Also, I'm assuming you had to extend the kickdown linkage quite a bit as well?

I am running a performer RPM with Edelbrock carb,  I was able to use my factory bracket and kickdown (extended near it's limit) The only thing that came up short was my throttle cable, but the was rigged easily enough. 

myk

Quote from: crj1968 on April 30, 2014, 12:32:25 PM
Quote from: myk on April 25, 2014, 05:05:18 PM

I am running a performer RPM with Edelbrock carb,  I was able to use my factory bracket and kickdown (extended near it's limit) The only thing that came up short was my throttle cable, but the was rigged easily enough. 

That's great to hear!  I might have to reconsider the RPM...

crj1968

I can take a picture for you.
I will probably put on that taller bracket just to change the angle of my kickdown. It works but is about 2mm from hitting the bottom of my air cleaner.

myk

Quote from: crj1968 on May 01, 2014, 09:22:39 AM
I can take a picture for you.
I will probably put on that taller bracket just to change the angle of my kickdown. It works but is about 2mm from hitting the bottom of my air cleaner.

I guess I could install that full-manual valve body and eliminate the kickdown stuff...

crj1968

True, I've done that in the past (80's) becasue it used to be "the thing to do" for some reason. 
For a street car, it sucked. I much prefer the kickdown.

myk

Quote from: crj1968 on May 01, 2014, 09:53:16 AM
True, I've done that in the past (80's) becasue it used to be "the thing to do" for some reason. 
For a street car, it sucked. I much prefer the kickdown.

Interesting.  Did it suck in the same manner as some say driving a manual transmission car does?

darkside

I looked at a friend of mines 69 440 general lee yesterday and he has a 440 with a rpm intake on it and fits fine under hood with drop base.

crj1968

Here's those pics MYK.

My drop base didnt fit with a 3" element and edelbrock carb, did fit with a holley. Fine with a 2" on the Eddy. Actually had to use a Mr gasket base as it fit better than the edelbrock one over the choke. Funny edelbrock cant make a base to clear their own electric choke design.   :shruggy: