News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68. Charger with 3 speed

Started by moparsal, January 20, 2014, 03:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Ghoste on January 21, 2014, 11:29:41 AM
So if you weren't planning to sell and they were both offered to you at the same price, maybe even free, which one would you pick?

You realize that sounds like a Nigerian scam don't you?  :icon_smile_big:

Seriously......if you put it in a better, maybe more......"realistic"......scenario, and I can't imagine this is very realistic to begin with.....

Say you win a raffle.......and the prize is your choice= A hemi clone needing a lotta work and 318/3 speed needing little work......

I'm one of the few that would take the 318/3.

I can slide a hemi into nearly any Mopar and be extremely happy. I would also be extremely happy to have a 318/3 Charger. I know it would be a blast to drive.

I take your point.......and certainly agree the hemi clone would be VERY desirable. But again, I wouldn't sacrifice a unique Charger to do it.

Ghoste

Hahaha, it does but no my question means all things being equal but the engine.  Thats it, everything else about the two cars are the same, the only condition is you can't make the choice based on future resale.  Your only deciding factor between the two is the engine.
Hemi or 318?

dyslexic teddybear

Hemi, of course.

Major HP junkie here.....did anyone really expect anything else? :D

But......as soon as I found out the hemi clone Charger was a 318/3 speed.....I'd be looking for parts to put it back.....and I'd slide the hemi into something else and enjoy both. :angel:

Ghoste

But of course the reverse if you found out the 318 car was a factory Hemi? :lol:

ACUDANUT

SAL, do you even own a Charger.  One your not trying to flip ?

dyslexic teddybear

Quote from: Ghoste on January 21, 2014, 01:54:59 PM
But of course the reverse if you found out the 318 car was a factory Hemi? :lol:

Now that's an interesting thought....... :scratchchin:

I admit I have a strange sense of humor.....but.....I don't think I could resist showing it for a while.....just to see the look on peoples face when they realize I had a 318 in a hemicar.

And when I tell them I'm leaving it there for the fuel mileage. :D

And that I wouldn't sell it. :icon_smile_big:

Especially to a flipper. :rotz:

A383Wing

nobody would probably think to look twice at a 318 car with a manual on the column unless it was pointed out somewhere in the cars info either on the hood or windshield.

Now on the other hand...if it was a slant six car with column manual trans...I would not even post anything about the car and just watch how many would notice the unusual combination.

Call me weird I guess.....I would take the column shift Charger over the Hemi car any day....Hemi cars are all over up here and basically look the same....and every year we see the same ones at shows

Hemi's may be the mother-load engine...but it really does nothing for me

Chad L. Magee

The interesting part is that if you look at the literature posted above, it lists only the 318 as the available engine for that transmission (three on the tree manual).  However, /6 Chargers with the three on the tree manual were made that year.  Remember, a 318 was the standard engine for Chargers in 1968.  The people who ordered them requested a engine demotion that did not force a required change in the transmission.  Most of the Charger literature at that time was about the V8 engines with not much on the /6 stuff (that was for the 4-door granny cars of other models).  How strange the salesperson must have thought as a buyer dropped the engine down from a V8 to /6, with no financial gain in the process, other than future gas milage....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

moparsal

Nice job on the info guys, thank you.
Shawn , your charger registry inbox is full, tried to p.m. You & failed,
I'm not going to restore any more cars, if someone want to make me an offer,
Sal

Ghoste

That literature is printed before production and doesn't always reflect what actually happened.  99% of the time its accurate but the little discrepancies do pop up from time to time.

moparsal

O.k. Does anybody know how many where made? :shruggy:
Ghoste, your inbox is full , can't send P.M.
Sal

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: moparsal on January 23, 2014, 12:40:22 PM
O.k. Does anybody know how many where made? :shruggy:
Ghoste, your inbox is full , can't send P.M.
Sal

Sal - That specific information is lost to time (most likely in the great fire) if it was tracked at all.  The best guess estimate is between 50 to 150 of them were made that year.  Reguardless, it is a rare oddball Charger.  Please submit the information that you do have on it to TDC as Wayne would love to keep track of the ones that are left.  It does not cost anything to do so....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Ghoste

As stated, for that year the information just doesn't seem to exist.  GG has three that he knows of for that year but admits he has no production records.  For 69 there are just over 700 that the factory records indicate as built.

Tilar

I can assure you that Galen is wrong. Hell I have known of 7 myself over the years including mine. With the one that MoparSal has makes 8 unless it happens to be one of the previous 7. If mine had the original engine I would probably restore it but both engine and tranny are long gone. I do have a 1968 318 engine that runs good, but I want an R/T or maybe a clone with a 440. So unless I run across someone that wants to do some horse trading with an R/T in the same condition as my Texas car, my 318 3speed is being upgraded.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

ACUDANUT

Who is Galen G.  (what a dumb name)  Was he the head bookkeeper of stats and numbers for  Chrysler and "knows it all" ..I doubt it.

Ghoste

All he is saying about the 68 ones is that there are three that he knows about personally.  He wasn't implying or inferring or alluding to anything else but that.  I am very much on record as not being one of his biggest fans but in this particualr case he didn't do anything that should get us riled up.  All he said was that he knows of three.

A383Wing

which is what I think I said back on page one here..at least that's what I tried to imply

like anyone listens to me anyway   :brickwall: 

Ghoste

I understood you but it seemed to need a repeat. :shruggy:

1974dodgecharger

Ghostes box is always full....I was gonna send him 1 million dollars but it was full.

Ghoste

There's space now, send whatever you have left.  :D

moparsal

Chad, don't know what T.D.C.means, need info,
Thanks all

Ghoste

It's a nickname for Wayne Wootens Charger Registry.  The Dodge Charger Registry, or TDC Registry, or just TDC. ;)

Tilar

Quote from: moparsal on January 23, 2014, 07:29:28 PM
Chad, don't know what T.D.C.means, need info,
Thanks all

Quote from: Ghoste on January 23, 2014, 07:31:27 PM
It's a nickname for Wayne Wootens Charger Registry.  The Dodge Charger Registry, or TDC Registry, or just TDC. ;)

I'm glad you cleared that up. The mechanic part of me wanted to say " Gee whiz, it means Top Dead Center... who doesn't know that??"  :-[
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

A383Wing

QuoteI'm glad you cleared that up. The mechanic part of me wanted to say " Gee whiz, it means Top Dead Center... who doesn't know that??"

you would be surprised