News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Project 68 R/T

Started by 68killerbee, January 20, 2014, 11:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68killerbee

Post a lot on moparts, but can't forget this site :).
I've been stopping in and talking to this guy for years. While on break at the community college 2007-8ish I came across this.  Every few months I stop and talk about it.  Last year I gave him a car cover for it(little too late).
But its a numbers matching 68 charger r/t automatic on the floor.  Green everything.  And very rusty.  I bought it home last night and still don't know exactly what I'm going to do with it.  I mean, it's one of mopar muscles icons.  But quite rusty (floors, lower parts of the car, rear quarters.  I would love to fix it up and bring it to its original everything.  But doubt I would like an all green charger that much.  I'm going to try and get the motor running and decide in the next few weeks if I will part with it or call up amd...

Ghoste

You can paint it a different color.   :yesnod:

68killerbee

I'd feel bad.  Plus its an automatic...........
I would almost rather see someone restore it back to original, even if it isn't the most appealing color (to me at least). plus they can spend their  :Twocents: on it haha

Ghoste

Thats cool too, at least its been saved.  So do you plan to do any restoration to it or just get it running?  (before deciding I mean of course)

68killerbee

I'll report back in a month.  We all know how these things snowball...... :brickwall:

469 runner

Looks like the left side Torsion mount may have let go.  Really, when these cars were new that was a beautiful color.  They just dull down to an ugly drab when aged.  Also, the green can look very sinister. :Twocents:

Ghoste

I agree, green gets a lot more dislike than it deserves and that shade can be sinister.

Troy

That's the only green I'd have from 68. It looks much better with a black top and interior. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

cavemanno1

I would keep it and just paint it different colour!Who says you can't?If you kept the guy bugging for years then surely you knew how it was and what it was.So finally getting the car and not being sure what you are gonna do with it?Why bugging the guy if you don't wanna keep it,unless you wanna flip it!That is ok as well at least the car gets back into life!

If you have any bodywork skills then fix her up therefor you could get way more money for it!

It's your car,you do as you wish!

Troy

I do have to say though that bringing that car back will take a LOT of money and time. If you're going to spend a lot of money then you might as well get what you want. I'd have a hard time deviating from the tag on a number matching R/T. Some people will whine but it might be best just to "flip it" and find something that suits you better.

Troy

68killerbee

Quote from: Troy on January 20, 2014, 12:37:34 PM
I do have to say though that bringing that car back will take a LOT of money and time. If you're going to spend a lot of money then you might as well get what you want. I'd have a hard time deviating from the tag on a number matching R/T. Some people will whine but it might be best just to "flip it" and find something that suits you better.

Troy

I "bugged" the guy because it was a charger and an r/t at that!  I "bug" anyone that doesn't shoo me away from them about cars. :) It was originally the lighter green(not its current color) I found out as I bought it yesterday.  Along with the extent of the rust, was all new to me.  Big difference in me thinking its a charger, let alone a charger r/t.  Add in a numbers matching block and broadcast sheet etc, that changes things.
If anything I guess it shows you all that they are still out there.  :2thumbs:

MoparManJim

Quote from: 68killerbee on January 20, 2014, 01:10:48 PM

Troy

I "bugged" the guy because it was a charger and an r/t at that!  I "bug" anyone that doesn't shoo me away from them about cars. :) It was originally the lighter green(not its current color) I found out as I bought it yesterday.  Along with the extent of the rust, was all new to me.  Big difference in me thinking its a charger, let alone a charger r/t.  Add in a numbers matching block and broadcast sheet etc, that changes things.
If anything I guess it shows you all that they are still out there.  :2thumbs:

You might not like what I have to say in the next few lines. If you bugged the poor guy over years for the dang car. You even got him a car cover for it. You talked to the guy about the charger all while he had it. I am double dang sure he told you all the info about the car and I'm double dang sure you even looked at the car all the time as well and knew what it had and it's numbers as well. It sounds to me like you hounded the guy to let the car go to you then you get the car and come onto these forums and think of posting it to get people talking and to see who all is interested in the car and what flip price you can get out of it if it's in running shape. " Big difference in me thinking its a charger, let alone a charger r/t.  Add in a numbers matching block and broadcast sheet etc, that changes things" you knew these things right from the start so it didn't change a dang thing. I think some of the others on here would be asking questions to the person while talking to them before buying a car on what the car had what it came with what options it had before going after the car. They would get to know the car in the time frame over the course of time if they was for real interested in the car. When you asked the guy back then about the car, I'm sure he told you then and over time what the car was before you finally got it off of him. You knew then and if you didn't want a number matching and all that you should have went the other way. You also know it takes a lot of money to bring these cars back to life. But in a car flipper life that part also takes away from the profit side as well when a old car needs a lot of work just to be bought back to life. AMD stuff isn't cheap at all and will eat into certain sides of things.. but if the person was really interested in keeping the vehicle (mostly why they bug the person over the years into letting a vehicle go) they wouldn't care about the work or AMD stuff.

Troy

Geez Jim, you must have never dreamed of owning a car only to get hit hard by reality the second you finally pull it into your garage. I have - and I have a garage full of cars that I'm slowly beginning to despise! There are lots of cars that I've asked for "dibs" on over the years. Some of them I wouldn't take at this time even if they were free. (My cousin's orange 69 Mach 1 for instance that has been sitting in a field since I was 16 and first said I wanted to buy it.)

Troy

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Troy on January 20, 2014, 05:53:15 PM
Geez Jim, you must have never dreamed of owning a car only to get hit hard by reality the second you finally pull it into your garage. I have - and I have a garage full of cars that I'm slowly beginning to despise! There are lots of cars that I've asked for "dibs" on over the years. Some of them I wouldn't take at this time even if they were free. (My cousin's orange 69 Mach 1 for instance that has been sitting in a field since I was 16 and first said I wanted to buy it.)

Troy

maybe im missing something here, but even as a rusted hulk, i can't see how anyone can fall in love with a car, and then decide to get rid of it just because its rusty, even when i was 12 and i found my corvette had rotten floor pans, and a swisscheese frame i didn't think "yup, better sell it", i said "... yeah.. im gonna need to learn how to weld aren't i?"  :scratchchin:

cavemanno1

It's his car and he can do whatever he wants with it!If he is unsure of himself about the car after all these years bugging the PO then the car'd better be someone Else's who appreciate what it is!Look at the positeve side of it!If it wasn't for him God knows how long that charger would have seat out there!

We see some amazing build over here and this car can't be worst than them but it took those guys to have unconditional love for the car and skill!

68killerbee

You shoulda seen my super bee when I bought it. It needed extensive body repair and I got it done. Had no fender tag or build sheet, numbers matching etc. so I had nothing to I by and built it MY WAY.
This one had everything.I never opened the door to check out the inside until this past week. I never seen under the hood until this past week. I would usually be talking about my super bee as that's what I would e driving around aimlessly.  Bugging the guy would consist of stopping every 5 or 6 months just to talk and tell him that I was interested in it. If it weren't for the extend of the frame rails, I might be more inclined to keep it. When I pulled home my super bee I wondered what the heck I just bought as I found more and more problems.
Go on a long rant and call me a flipper all you want. 2006 I bought a package deal with a 73 charger without problems, numbers 400 4 speed ralley. That's another car that I think deserves a correct as possible restoration. Luckily it's a good color combo. Plus we has my dad 68 gtx convertible that I would rather get running again ( broke the hemi 4 speed last summer). So we already have a couple cars needing work in the mix.  I said I'll think over it for a month instead of buying all these pieces to fix it just to sell the car and lose money on that also.
Take it all how you want it. I have uncles and cousins with awesome cars that have sat for years waiting to be fixed and I don't wanna be like that. But I don't wanna be the guy at car shows talking about "I used to have one of these things" lol.
-devin

fy469rtse

a lot of us on here have started with cars much worse than this,
if you sell this car instead of restoring it , whens the last time you came across a complete maybe numbers matching rt charger, you may regret it if you sell , my 68 was this green with the two tone boar grain vinyl top, loved the conbination,
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: post a lot more photos of car with the worst areas ,

68killerbee

Quote from: fy469rtse on January 20, 2014, 09:02:35 PM
a lot of us on here have started with cars much worse than this,
if you sell this car instead of restoring it , whens the last time you came across a complete maybe numbers matching rt charger, you may regret it if you sell , my 68 was this green with the two tone boar grain vinyl top, loved the conbination,
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: post a lot more photos of car with the worst areas ,

if it isn't snowing when I get off in the morning,I'll show some of the rust
MoparmanJoe. Read my previous comment after what you said. When I asked about the fender tag or build sheet, he didn't know what I was talking about. I was respectful to him or else he wouldn't have sold it to me. He realized he would never get around to fixin it up. And it's not like I stole it from the guy. The price was more than fair for him and I.  Probably more-so for him.

68killerbee

Here are a bunch of pics from it.  It got pushed inside because of the snow today.  Gonna see if the motor is locked up or anything, drain fluids, and see if it has any life left in it. 
http://s19.photobucket.com/user/hunterbee68/library/1968%20Charger
password is "charger"
all taken on my phone, so they aren't the best.  trunk floor is just a big piece of metal they welded in there that actually has good contours hah. Front floor pans are trashed.  You can see through the front windshield when you lay down and look through the driver side quarter-panel.  Torsion mount is toast as is a part of the transmission mount/rail.  As you see, he never opened the hood because it was weak (passenger side mounting point)...more reason for me to not know whats really in it. The original hood flew up while he was driving he said.  Last inspection date was from 95.  Finding the numbers on the motor/trans wasn't done until yesterday morning.  The guy thought they were original, but didn't really recall.

I'm not trying to drum up business either.  If I sell it, it's going to be on ebay.  Thats the easiest way to go with cars these days.  I sold my cousins 66 coronet on there last year.  You put it up and it doesnt sell, its like $20.  If it does sell they charge $2-300. enjoy the pics
-devin

Baldwinvette77

Dayum  :o ..... as long as it doesn't get parted out im cool with whatever happens  :coolgleamA:

Finn

Yikes...

That paint made it look more solid than it is.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Brock Lee

I wouldn't blame you a bit for bailing on it.

cudaken

Devin, as soon as I saw the front end down in the dirt I knew what you where dealing with. My 69 Charger R/T Rusted / Trash did the same thing!

Here is my rear frame.

http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cudaken/media/1-rustedframe4_zpsaa36b1a4.jpg.html]

If you could, I would do yours the way I did mine. I bought the rear third of a parts car, in my case it was a 69 Charger but any 68 to 70 B Body would work. I grafted the whole frame assemble in as one piece. Takes about 25 hours to do labor time, but with two of my friends helping it took a year.  :smilielol: We spent more time BBQ, drinking Cam 2  :cheers: and floating in the pool than working!  :coolgleamA:

Far as starting the motor after sitting, here is link to what I did to start my 68 Road Runner after sitting out side for 8 years.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,101995.0.html

If by chances you would be interested link to the entire story.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,101965.0.html

I personally think you would kick your self in the butt for selling the Charger. As far as the Charger deserving to staying original color? :scratchchin: What makes you think it wanted to be Green in the First Places?  :shruggy: My Charger is much happier being Viper Red! It told me so!  :D

Cuda Ken

I am back

Daytona R/T SE

68killerbee

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 21, 2014, 11:37:34 PM

That would make a GREAT parts car for my '68.  :scratchchin:
:scratchchin:

This really has become a dilemma for me.  Its just so rusty.  I already have a 68 super bee that my dad and I fixed up when I was in high school (8 yrs ago).  It was a project, but not nearly what this beast could be.  I'm afraid to dig anymore into it for fear of what I find.  But ya, I already have a classic mopar and I have a 2010 challenger.  Dad has a 68 gtx convertible that I would rather spend time working on.  That was his first car and he's never got it to run correctly (rebuilt suspension, trans, motor etc in the past few years) Finally we think we fixed the vibration and he breaks his hemi 4 speed input shaft off!!!  We have a new one ready to go back in, but then we have a 73 charger 400 4 spd #s car that just needs the panels finished up and painted.  Too many projects, not enough time.  You can only drive one at a time anyway...
....But it is a 68 charger, one of the coolest  :brickwall: lol

68killerbee

Doin what the roadkill guys would be cool.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JXDcJQqZrA

too bad the car would break in half lol. :icon_smile_blackeye:

cudaken

If you have the spaces, store it till you are ready. They will wait for you, mine did!

Cuda Ken :Twocents: worth.
I am back

68killerbee

Changed the spark plugs and wires and got the carb unstuck and it runs! :2thumbs:
Took the hood off too since it was so rusty and could see for sure that it is all numbers matching.

JB400

Glad to hear that it runs. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Its amazing isnt it how often you hear that?  The sheet metal might look crappy but more times than not these antiques still run.  :cheers:

68killerbee

Troy

I blame it on the administrator for telling me to.  :icon_smile_cool:
Sold on ebay a few weeks ago.  guess i'm a flipper now  :slap:

surmanajaja

Quote from: 68killerbee on February 24, 2014, 09:01:47 AM

Troy

I blame it on the administrator for telling me to.  :icon_smile_cool:
Sold on ebay a few weeks ago.  guess i'm a flipper now  :slap:

if the buyer paid the rest of it you made a great deal- I have seen much better cars go for a lot less, just week or two ago on the site...