News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bumblebee stripes for S/E

Started by Bandit360, January 20, 2014, 11:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit360

Hi Guys,
I was looking forward to my next project (the Mustang is not done yet, but getting close).  Always loved the look of 69 Chargers and stumbled on to one for sale locally. I made an offer which was accepted. The car has most everything I wanted.  It's an 383 auto with A/C. (I live in Las Vegas). Wasn't particularly looking for an R/T, or a Hemi.  This car is an S/E.  It's a beautiful Red, not original color - mostly complete.

Butt stripes didn't come on straight S/E cars as far as I know, but I really like the look.  Thinking about adding one.  I can get a plain one with no cut outs, or one with a cut out "S/E" in the same script as the R/T. Any ideas or tips on buying and installing this stripe? In the end, it's my car, and I can do with it as I like, but I'm reaching out for the knowledge on this forum. Already used it to determine that BF Goodrich T/A Radial P295/50R15 would fit on the rear 15x8 magnum 500 wheels I stole off the Boss Mustang.  (Gotta replace those running horses on the center caps though).

Previously a non Mopar guy.   1964 Corvette 327/365 roadster, 1973 Corvette 350 4 sp. coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 4 sp. fastback GT350H clone, 1964 Cadillac Eldorado convertible, and currently 1969 Mustang Boss 429 clone, Jon Kaase Boss 429 (bored, stroked to 520 ci., 735 crank h.p.) with TKO 600 5 sp., ps,pb and air - almost done.

Looking forward to getting to know the Charger Mopar crowd.  You seem like a dedicated, faithful, knowledgeable bunch.

Ray

Ghoste

The 1970 RT stripe is plain.  Barring that it's easy enough to get a local sign shop to make you something out of vinyl these days.

Troy

There's another topic around here recently about R/T badges. Same thing. I like the tail stripes and don't really car if it's an R/T or not. I wouldn't make one that said "SE" though. Of course, mine are all 68s and we didn't have an SE - and our stripes look better. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Thats another option, the 68 stripe was plain as well.  Although you'll likely get a lot of experts who need to point out that you have a 68 stripe.

Dreamcar

Someday, mine (a '69) will be ready enough for a stripe. If I put one one, it'll be a plain '70 stripe since mine's not an RT. General public will not know that the stripe was not available in '69.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

twenty mike mike

Bumblebee stripes on non R/T cars are so common nowadays, they are practically factory stock.  ;)

I like the idea of an S/E stripe, and since the '69 stripes are the best looking (as well as the rest of the car), that's a perfect match for you.

Here's a thread that leads to others.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59238.0.html

NJRBros

If you get a stripe don't put S/E. It's not right to put the "/" because it's not Special/Edition like R/T is Road/Track. It's just SE - Special Edition.  Maybe I'm just nuts for paying attention to that but that's my  :Twocents:

Ghoste

69CoronetRT

Swapping engines and drive trains to upgrade performance was always cool.
Adding stripes or emblems to a car that didn't come with them was never cool. You were branded a fraud and wanna be.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

And still today, just look at how we mock a ricer with Toyota Racing or giant Magnaflow decals.

bill440rt

Stripe installation here:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29293.0.html

Like others have said the '70 stripe is plain.

Oh yeah, Welcome to DC.com!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Troy

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on January 20, 2014, 01:16:20 PM
Adding stripes or emblems to a car that didn't come with them was never cool. You were branded a fraud and wanna be.

Quote from: Ghoste on January 20, 2014, 01:31:47 PM
And still today, just look at how we mock a ricer with Toyota Racing or giant Magnaflow decals.
And why I'm less interested in going to Mopar only shows these days... ;)

Too many people judging me for what I've done to my cars (amazingly enough, I am usually putting them back to stock!). I was just thinking this morning about all the deviations from stock I've found on my cars. That tells me there are at least 12 owners before me who haven't given a damn about how Ma Mopar made them. Both my R/Ts are stripe delete. What to do, what to do... hide the tag! I have a 70 Challenger that's a 440 Six Pack 4-speed clone. It never fails that some guys are crawling under it looking for the Dana at every Mopar show - when it has the fender tag attached that clearly shows it as a Slant Six 3-speed! When I took my R/T out often I'd have people ask me if it had a 383. Don't know why they picked 383 - probably because it's common(?). I put a bulge hood and 'Cuda badges on my 318 Barracuda and the majority of the negative feedback I got about it was about the black painted engine bay (it was like that when I got it). The die hards will know - but they'll find something else to dislike. The other 99% of the world won't care.

Troy

Dreamcar

I would rather see a plain non-RT '70 stripe on a non-RT 69 instead of stickers from every single company that I bought parts from plastered on the windows.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Ghoste

Unless its a race car huntinh for contingency money, I never have cared for scare stickers on a car.

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Troy on January 20, 2014, 02:08:16 PM

Too many people judging me for what I've done to my cars (amazingly enough, I am usually putting them back to stock!). I was just thinking this morning about all the deviations from stock I've found on my cars. That tells me there are at least 12 owners before me who haven't given a damn about how Ma Mopar made them. Both my R/Ts are stripe delete. What to do, what to do... hide the tag! I have a 70 Challenger that's a 440 Six Pack 4-speed clone. It never fails that some guys are crawling under it looking for the Dana at every Mopar show - when it has the fender tag attached that clearly shows it as a Slant Six 3-speed! When I took my R/T out often I'd have people ask me if it had a 383. Don't know why they picked 383 - probably because it's common(?). I put a bulge hood and 'Cuda badges on my 318 Barracuda and the majority of the negative feedback I got about it was about the black painted engine bay (it was like that when I got it). The die hards will know - but they'll find something else to dislike. The other 99% of the world won't care.

Troy

Troy - I would be one of those looking for the fender tag, but wanting to see the /6 information on it.  Remember, I am one of the nutty /6 bunch. :lol:...
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Troy

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on January 20, 2014, 08:04:38 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 20, 2014, 02:08:16 PM

Troy

Troy - I would be one of those looking for the fender tag, but wanting to see the /6 information on it.  Remember, I am one of the nutty /6 bunch. :lol:...
Yeah, I know! You'd like this one. It was converted long ago - at least a couple owners before me.

Troy

BROCK

I feel ya Troy.  I call it the damned contingency - because they wait around to damn whatever
comes along no matter what.  I've only felt the reverse of it once.  I drove up in a 64 F100 in
need of attention together with my bud in a 78 F100 with custom this n that.  He was pissed
when they all passed him to see what I had drug up.  You have the need to encourage the
newbee vs pick at the perfect..............They haven't a clue what perfect is.  To me, they are
Vultures feeding off what Vultures................well, the better your car is:  the pickier these
Vultures become.  Badge of honor, Bro.  Separate yourself from them (if they bother you).  I
guarantee you will make friends with the others that are spot on - just because they too tire
of the Vultures :popcrn:  Yes you can apply this to MoPar only shows as well.  The Troy I know
knows his shtuff :Twocents:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Bandit360

Thanks for all the info and opinions guys.  I went ahead and ordered the plain 1970 stripe.  Didn't know that 70's had plain stripes (thanks Ghoste). Was thinking about the S/E cutout, but as NJRBros pointed out, it really should just be SE (no slash) if I was going to go that route.  I already read the thread Troy pointed to about R/T badges on non-R/T cars; don't have any intention of doing that.  I have two Mustangs that ARE clones, and painted as such, but they were that way when I bought them, and I don't pretend or represent them as anything other than replicas.  They are far from original.  Lastly, thanks to Twenty Mike Mike and Bill440R/T for pointing me to the installation how-to threads. That will help a lot. (Twenty Mike Mike - are you a former fighter pilot?   As in everything you look at is a potential target.  "I sure could make a mess of that with a burst of twenty mike mike")

Ray

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on January 20, 2014, 02:51:16 PM
Unless its a race car huntinh for contingency money, I never have cared for scare stickers on a car.

but they had 5hp for each one, I swear it does  :P

myk

Instead of S/E why don't you put **////S/E/////**? 

'OP, it's YOUR car, do what YOU want to with it.  Then again, if building your car to other people's snotty, baseless standards and acceptance is what you want to do, that's your choice too...

NJRBros

Hey now I wasn't telling him NOT to put SE.  ::)  I just figured if he's going to spend money on a stripe he should know that S/E might not make any sense.  It was just a correction of spelling not of taste. He said it himself that he has the final say so he could've just ignored me and got it anyway.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html