News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there a difference (dimension wise) of a 6 pack air cleaner and air grabber?

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, January 31, 2014, 05:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

Just wondering if there is a difference (besides one being for 3 carbs and the other for 1 or 2 carbs) in dimensions between a 6 pack air cleaner and an air grabber air cleaner assembly? I can see the lids have holes in different spots but is there any other differences?

The base, filter, and lids look to be the same dimension wise but it's hard to tell from photos? Not looking to do the whole air grabber hood assembly, just the lid and base. Thinking about changing up the look of the engine bay so I'm just curious if the air grabber one with single carb base would bolt on with no problems?

Thanks   :cheers:

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

b5blue

Ghoste

I'm pretty sure the oval filter was the same one for Six Pack, Hemi and Air Grabber.

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: b5blue on January 31, 2014, 07:10:53 PM
Looks like it will.  :scratchchin: Got 3 speed wipers?

Nope, still have the 2 speed but a I've been seeing bunch of photos of other cars showing it installed with a 2 speed wiper. I'm alright with trimming a bit off the base but if it is impossible to fit then I will just return it. Maybe worth a shot.   :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Ghoste

I think thats all you need to do is notch that one spot out sufficiently.

b5blue

bill440rt

The lids should be the same dimensionally.
The bases might have small differences but should be about the same. You'll definitely need to notch it to clear a 2-speed wiper motor, and possibly a little for your A/C compressor depending on how it's mounted. Swapping to 3-speed wipers is pretty simple, just need the motor, bellcrank/bushing, and the switch. Your dash harness already has the provision for the switch.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

bill440rt

Quote from: Ghoste on February 03, 2014, 10:25:17 AM
Just out of curiousity Bill, what are the differences in the bases?

I've never really put them side by side as a comparison. I only mentioned that "if" there are any differences then there "might" be slight ones in the bases.
I did a quick search, this guy posted some pretty detailed pics of a 4-bbl base in his auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-72-MOPAR-4BBL-ORIGINAL-AIR-CLEANER-BASE-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-ORIG-PAINT-440-383-/400548254990?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4289550e&vxp=mtr

Other than the obvious carb opening, the outer perimeter and shape of the base does look very much the same.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

WHITE AND RED 69

Thanks guys   :cheers:  I just pulled the trigger and ordered one. If it takes to much modifying I will just forget about it and send it back.

Quote from: bill440rt on February 03, 2014, 09:17:46 AM
The lids should be the same dimensionally.
The bases might have small differences but should be about the same. You'll definitely need to notch it to clear a 2-speed wiper motor, and possibly a little for your A/C compressor depending on how it's mounted. Swapping to 3-speed wipers is pretty simple, just need the motor, bellcrank/bushing, and the switch. Your dash harness already has the provision for the switch.

Thanks Bill  :cheers:  I think I should be good on the clearance for the a/c compressor. The march pulley setup pushed the compressor toward the radiator about an inch so hopefully that will be enough. Not a big deal if I have to trim it though. I'm just hoping it will look good in the end. Spending $400 bucks on an air cleaner just cause I want to change the look of the engine bay...I must be crazy!  :eek2:

Many times I've almost put a three speed wiper on but I just never follow through on it.  I've got the switch and the bellcrank but just can't bring myself to spend $400 on a refurb motor. If my wiper motor was bad it would be easier but since it works great I just can't bring myself to do it.   :shruggy:

Any idea on how much I will need to notch it with the 2 speed motor?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

b5blue

My fiberglass base came with my setup. I'll get ya a pick in a day or two.

Ghoste

Quote from: bill440rt on February 03, 2014, 12:35:50 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on February 03, 2014, 10:25:17 AM
Just out of curiousity Bill, what are the differences in the bases?

I've never really put them side by side as a comparison. I only mentioned that "if" there are any differences then there "might" be slight ones in the bases.
I did a quick search, this guy posted some pretty detailed pics of a 4-bbl base in his auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-72-MOPAR-4BBL-ORIGINAL-AIR-CLEANER-BASE-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-ORIG-PAINT-440-383-/400548254990?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4289550e&vxp=mtr

Other than the obvious carb opening, the outer perimeter and shape of the base does look very much the same.  :yesnod:

Cool, I just wondered if one was a little longer or wider and then it would have been a why.  Thanks. :icon_smile_big:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: b5blue on February 03, 2014, 05:41:57 PM
My fiberglass base came with my setup. I'll get ya a pick in a day or two.

Where did you get a fiberglass one? All I saw were steel ones?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

b5blue

18-19 years ago I bought this six pack all used. I think I still have the fiberglass top somewhere around here.  :scratchchin: