News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clem's 68 Black Build

Started by clemfor, January 19, 2014, 02:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clemfor

The roof sub structure turned out very nice, a lot of hours and $$. The mini tubs look very kool too ! ( I think ) Thanks for looking...

VegasCharger

gers1968rt

Did you sandblast the roof structure? Looks good, very nice work.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

clemfor

Quote from: gers1968rt on January 22, 2014, 07:14:09 AM
Did you sandblast the roof structure? Looks good, very nice work.

Thank you.. What I remember the body guy telling me was, he gently blasted, then used some kind of acid? primer of some sort that melds the rust with the good steel ?
I don't know much about it, I sure did learn how to PAY !

clemfor

After grinding the paint off the fenders, they were so mashed I bought new AMD. The doors were very bad as well, found good shells, 1 from a '69.
I bought the skins from a guy out of Michigan, his company was making them, I think in Taiwan, they fit real good. AMD was not stamping them yet.

clemfor

The floors I got locally from an auto body supplier, I think they were Goodmark ? They came in two pieces, kept the upper half of the tunnel and butt welded.
The small rear floor pans I got from AMD. The metal under the back seat and under the package tray to the trunk floor were still like new.

clemfor

The front and back doors jambs or pillars needed attention, cut out the rust and weld new metal in, no one was making them yet.

clemfor

The hood looked like a total piece of crap, once all the many layers of paint was off, it was mint.
The door skins lined up with the other panels not too bad.

XH29N0G

I see these types of threads here and find them impressive.  That almost doesn't even do enough to describe them.  Good on you to do this.

:cheers:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

clemfor

A lot of you Charger people say, more pics ! so I hope this is not boring ? Now the fitting of all the body parts....

clemfor

Then there was some welding.

clemfor

a few more.

clemfor

Going back in time, after the Charger was painted flat black, I had to install the turn key 440 c/w 550hp I bought from the kid in Jacksonville !
The engine bay was still the Richard Petty blue,  it looked horrible, but I didn't care, I wanted the 440 in there, so I could drive it ! And I did for a short time.

fy469rtse

Great photo's clem keep them coming,
Love he progress on your car, great work going on here

clemfor

Thanks...floors ready for primer.

fy469rtse

Looks great , just like new, 
noticed its in the paint booth ? Colour

westcoastdodge

wow that car is lucky to have you,good job  :2thumbs:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

clemfor

Thanks guys.. It is Black on black on black.

gers1968rt

Looking real good, never get tired of pics.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

clemfor

Cool. Here are some pics of the MagnumForce tubular front end with QA1 coil overs, Mustang II Rack and Willwood discs.
Here's an 11 minute video from MagnumForce website installing a front clip, the same one I bought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHpiU9QWmNw&feature=player_embedded

clemfor

A few more.

don duick

nice work you got my respect. Did you have to reinforce the inner fender to support the coil spring?

clemfor

I hired Dream Rides a Custom Hot Rod shop in Yorkton Saskatchewan, a small town 3 hours away. The owners son did all the fab and welding, took out the original front K member, installed the MagnumForce, reinforced the frame, did a triangulated 4 link rear He was I think 21 years old, totally fearless, and an awesome welder, he dove into my Charger, had it all done in a bout a week. He took lots a pics. Unfortunately I heard they closed there shop down about a year ago. Enjoy a lot of pics...

clemfor

More welding

clemfor

The first pic...He welded 1/4" plate to the frame, then all the brackets weld to that.