News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ram R/T 6.4L version possibly...

Started by War wagon, January 15, 2014, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

War wagon

:o

So I've been calling some dealers and checking on line for any and all info I can get on the Ram R/T.

They have been making these bad boys for a couple years now (in really low production) and I've been debating trading my 4x4 QQ on one.
The basic package has been this..
Regular cab, short box, 2wd
Sport pkg ( body color bumpers, mirrors )
6 spd trans, 2800 rpm stall, 4:10 gears and ltd slip
Then you add your regular options

Well it seems for the 14 model year it's only available like this...
Regular cab, short box, 2wd
Sport pkg
8spd trans with 3:21 gears :shruggy: and NO OTHER GEAR OPTION also no high stall converter
:slap: why?  :slap:

I just don't get it.... Not like you can just swap the gears to 4:56 like the old days. The transmission computer would have a heart attack.

Grocery getter performance trucks now???

The local performance oriented dealer gave me the down low LOL hang on to my truck for another year as there is a 6.4L R/T in the works.
I was told Chrysler is selling more trucks than they can make and they won't bother with the niche vehicle until their production is caught up.

Pretty funny as a current ram owner I'm pretty well versed on what's available on these trucks, too bad most of the dealers I spoke to today weren't  :brickwall:
In this day and age of information, the customer knows more??? So wrong  :flame: :flame:

Sorry rant over

War wagon

Oh ya..... You can have leather in your QQ or CC but NOT your regular cab?  :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :sorry:

JB400

Hate to burst your bubble, but the 6.4 is only available in the HD trucks, not in the half ton versions.
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/06/chrysler-6-4-hemi-in-2014-rams

They did build a concept truck though with the 6.4 SRT version.

War wagon

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 16, 2014, 12:09:44 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but the 6.4 is only available in the HD trucks, not in the half ton versions.
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/06/chrysler-6-4-hemi-in-2014-rams

They did build a concept truck though with the 6.4 SRT version.

That pic is a regular R/T just like this one im going to test drive today :icon_smile_cool:
http://www.durhamchrysler.com/new/RAM/2014-RAM-1500-70c56ec50a0a00715e48172b521773fc.htm

The dealer in New Hamburg that Sponsors Mopar Fest here in Canada is telling me the 6.4L 1500 Performance truck is in the works. I am aware the 6.4L is available currently in the 2500 models

Still on the fence about letting go of my 4x4 in favour of a 2wd.
Taking the R/T for a test drive today will help cure the winter blaws at least :icon_smile_big:

I will most likely wait a year or two and see if this 6.4L truck accually makes production, unless todays test drive blows my mind LOL
The R/T's run High 13's STOCK :cheers:

War wagon

To correct my earlier post, it seems the 2014 R/T with the 8spd gets 3:92 gears and NOT the 3:21 gears that 6 different dealers told me came standard  :brickwall:

Remember the days when Ma Mopar would let you order a vehicle the way YOU wanted it. Like a Green car with yellow stripe and tan interior. Or whatever the configuration, they offered so many more choices back in the day.
Salesmen accually knew the products they sold.
Now they can't agree on what comes in what package or group of options.

The Orangeville dealer where I bought my current truck accually told me the R/T. Is AVALIABLE as a 4x4 lmao it is NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN A 4x4. Seems my salesman retired, he was with Chrysler 33yrs and the new kid that replaced him would say anything to keep me interested in buying from them.
Apparently they have 2 of these "little" trucks coming in the next month and he is CERTAIN they are 4x4

War wagon

Well it seems my dreams of owing one of those trucks is dashed.. :'(
Unfortunately it's only rated to tow 5000lbs, which is UNACCEPTABLE IMO
I guess the 22" rims and retuned suspension turn this half ton pickup into a car  :-\
Disappointing I thought it would at least be able to handle my 69 on a open car trailer, according to their tow rating not a chance in hell.. At least not legally for someone with a transport lic. :brickwall:

Not sure what a 1970 Ram regular cab short box was rated for towing but it sure as hell wasn't 5,000lbs
Times change and not always for the better :flame:
395hp 407tq and it can't tow another car unless it's a yugo :slap:

Not like I would tow with it regularly my 2013 has 24k now and only 1k is towing. ( it has a trailer tow trip counter LOL)
But I'm not giving up a truck that can for one that can't!

Very disappointing

Moparman01

You might want to consider a Ram Express, you get the same basic sport/R/T body trim with 4x4 and all towing capacity you want! I just bought a 2011 Ram Express reg. cab short box 4x4 last year, rated at around 9500# towing, towed my dads 70 Cuda 440 to Carlisle last year and was super impressed with how it towed!!

As for a 6.4 performance Ram truck, I don't really understand why Ram didn't come out with something like that already!?!?! Would love to see a truck like that, and it would surly blow the doors off that ugly as sin proposed chevy SS truck that might be coming along (I don't follow GM, just seen pics floating around about it.)

JB400

I'm sure SRT would like to build another Ram version, but Chrysler would have to build another eco friendly car to balance out their CAFE regulation requirement :brickwall:

War wagon

Quote from: Moparman01 on January 17, 2014, 02:01:32 AM
You might want to consider a Ram Express, you get the same basic sport/R/T body trim with 4x4 and all towing capacity you want! I just bought a 2011 Ram Express reg. cab short box 4x4 last year, rated at around 9500# towing, towed my dads 70 Cuda 440 to Carlisle last year and was super impressed with how it towed!!

As for a 6.4 performance Ram truck, I don't really understand why Ram didn't come out with something like that already!?!?! Would love to see a truck like that, and it would surly blow the doors off that ugly as sin proposed chevy SS truck that might be coming along (I don't follow GM, just seen pics floating around about it.)

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll just wait and see what comes down the pipe in the future.
The truck I have now is Awesome and I am very happy with it. Really no need or rush for a new one.
The idea of having an R/T sounded better in my head than the facts would support .
My current truck has tons of options which aren't even AVALIABLE on the R/T which is sad since it's based on the Sport model which my truck is....

Maybe they will release a SRT 6.4L version in the future with the options and features the current performance version is missing. Fiat has plenty of small cars to offset the CAFE regulations .

Lord Warlock

Not sure what the problem is, the ram with a v8 should have no problem whatsoever hauling a car hauler and your charger, my dad has an older model ram pickup (2004-6 i believe) that he tows his 30 foot airstream trailer with, up and over mountains across the USA as my dad likes mountains so tends to camp as high up as he can.  He also towed a single enclosed car hauler that he made into a camper all the way to alaska and back to Florida, so the 392 version should have no problem hauling whatever you want.  His isn't an RT model but I'm pretty positive it only has the 5.7L v8 in it.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

War wagon

Quote from: Lord Warlock on January 17, 2014, 01:54:21 PM
Not sure what the problem is, the ram with a v8 should have no problem whatsoever hauling a car hauler and your charger, my dad has an older model ram pickup (2004-6 i believe) that he tows his 30 foot airstream trailer with, up and over mountains across the USA as my dad likes mountains so tends to camp as high up as he can.  He also towed a single enclosed car hauler that he made into a camper all the way to alaska and back to Florida, so the 392 version should have no problem hauling whatever you want.  His isn't an RT model but I'm pretty positive it only has the 5.7L v8 in it.

The problem is Ram keeps giving these trucks RIDICULOUS tow ratings and change them from year to year it seems.
I have a 2013 4x4 QQ HEMI 8 spd 3:21's that is rated to tow 6900lbs
The 2014 EXCACT SAME truck is rated to tow 8700lbs. They changed the parking prawl in the transmission which allowed for the increase.

I was considering flipping my truck on the Performance 2wd regular cab short box R/T since I haven't driven mine in the snow yet anyway, thought it might as well be a 2wd if I'm not going to drive it in the winter.....
But when it came down to it, that truck can only tow 5050lbs which is lame  ::)
A poster in this thread with a regular cab short box 4x4 2011 model year has a tow rating of 9800lbs :slap:

The 5050lb tow rating of the regular cab 2wd is just too low for my needs. Disturbing part is they offer a TOW PACKAGE on that truck with trailer brake controller and tow mirrors????
Just no rime or reason anymore to what is coming out of the showrooms.

I assumed wrongly that because the R/T comes with the revised prawl in transmission and a standard gear ratio of 3:92 that it could tow the same or more than my current truck.
The same truck as mine with 3:92 gears is rated to tow 10,000lbs
So 4x4 doubles towing capacity over 2wd in Rams point of view.