News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Extended warranties

Started by twodko, January 14, 2014, 08:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

Recommendations for extended warranty providers in the PRK?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Ghoste

I've always thought of extended warranties as more like repair insurance and like any insurance policy you need to carefully read the fine print and the disclaimers and know that they need to deny your claim as much as possible in order to remain profitable.

A383Wing

yea...waste of money....we had a case where claim was denied because the wrong size tire was on the car..one size larger than stock...all that money paid to them for nothing

myk

That's why I never buy Discount Tire's extended warranty for tires, or whatever it's called.  The few times I've had to make a claim they've always found some excuse to not honor it or something...

Silver R/T

Extended warranties are a scam, whatever you're buying extended warranty for will usually break AFTER the extended warranty expires.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: twodko on January 14, 2014, 08:30:24 PM
Recommendations for extended warranty providers in the PRK?

What is the PRK ?   :scratchchin:

Seriously, I don't know...  :shruggy:

myk

People's Republic of "K"alifornia.  "PRK" is another way for critics of California's draconian laws and political worldview to liken their ways to Communist or dictatorial regimes and lifestyles.  High taxation coupled with a bankrupt economic system, excessive laws and blatant infringement of the 2nd Amendment are the most obvious examples of California's often criticized political atmosphere, the irony being that California and its proponents tout the state as being the most "free-willed" and "progressive" areas of the country...

Ghoste

That would be hilarious if it weren't so sadly true.

Old Moparz

I agree, don't do an extended warranty for anything it's mostly a waste of money. Seems like 9 out of 10 people that I know who have had one, didn't have a good experience with it. I remember getting one ONCE (on an electronic item I think) & when I needed it, they wouldn't honor it fully & had stipulations about how to return it, process the claim, etc., that were ridiculous.

My wife once bought into a lifetime/extended warranty for rust proofing on a new car saying they'd fix any rust that ever appeared. The way it worked was that you had to go back to the dealer once each year & pay to have the rust proofing inspected, touched up & reapplied. This was not cheap & close to $200 each time. ::)

Lots of articles saying the same thing, that these warranties are not worth it.....

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/extended-warranties/buying-guide.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/extended_warranty.html
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

War wagon

I asked about the extended warranty when I purchased my 13 Ram. Figured with all those electronics might be a good investment?!
Well I was quoted 5,800.00 Canadian and the truck hadn't left the lot yet to roll up any miles....
:eek2:
Told them they can keep their warranty!!! :icon_smile_angry: :flame:

twodko

First off....

Damn Myk! Your description of the PRK was outstanding! Clear, concise and very well written.......and dead on.

Back to extended vehicle warranties. I'm looking at aftermarket policies verses manufactures. My main concern is the proliferation of computers vehicles now. Drive train repairs are one thing, computer replacement costs are grossly expensive.

Reading the fine print is a must of course. The shop I've taken my vehicles to for years mentioned one he spoke very highly of and I trust this guy. I'm calling him today for the name of the company.

More to follow.........
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: myk on January 15, 2014, 03:19:03 AM
People's Republic of "K"alifornia.  "PRK" is another way for critics of California's draconian laws and political worldview to liken their ways to Communist or dictatorial regimes and lifestyles.  High taxation coupled with a bankrupt economic system, excessive laws and blatant infringement of the 2nd Amendment are the most obvious examples of California's often criticized political atmosphere, the irony being that California and its proponents tout the state as being the most "free-willed" and "progressive" areas of the country...

Thanks.

Sounds a whole lot like Illinois. :scratchchin:

green69rt

Quote from: twodko on January 15, 2014, 01:02:27 PM
First off....

Damn Myk! Your description of the PRK was outstanding! Clear, concise and very well written.......and dead on.

Back to extended vehicle warranties. I'm looking at aftermarket policies verses manufactures. My main concern is the proliferation of computers vehicles now. Drive train repairs are one thing, computer replacement costs are grossly expensive.

Reading the fine print is a must of course. The shop I've taken my vehicles to for years mentioned one he spoke very highly of and I trust this guy. I'm calling him today for the name of the company.

More to follow.........

All the extended warranties that I have seen are actually third party policies, even the ones sold by dealers.   I bought one for my 2005 truck for about $1400US and never used it.  It extended the warranty period to eight years instead of the normal 3 years.  Waste of money.  Likewise I don't buy warranties on tires, electronics, appliances, etc.  Never was able to get my money out of them.

Forgot to mention that most have a $100 deductible so if you have a $150 repair bill then they pay $50 and you pay $100, not a very good deal.

hatersaurusrex

FYI dealership warranties are almost always marked up like 300% and the deductible is negotiable as well.   If they're asking 1500 for a 150 deductible warranty, you can probably get it for 500 bucks and a 0 or diminishing deductible.

That said, I've bought my last two cars from Carmax.   They bend over backwards on their warranties.   I know I know, they're not the cheapest place to get a car, but their prices are fair and they don't hide fees in the docs you have to go over with a microscope.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70