News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

expansion valve question

Started by fireguyfire, February 26, 2014, 08:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireguyfire

Hey guys; just received a new expansion valve for my 68 383 A/C car and I want to install it.
My new one has 2 small copper tubes coming off it; one that has a threaded connector end on it (I know where that goes) and another tube that is about 18" long and just ends; any idea where this tube terminates or how to terminate it?

'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

A383Wing

gets wrapped around one of the AC lines..look at your car and see where it is

fireguyfire

I didnt take the car apart and the factory shop manual doesnt show it that I can see; any chance of a photo showing where the 2nd tube wraps?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

cdr

the low side should have a hole close to where the threaded tube goes on, it should just push into it.

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

A383Wing

it probably is attached to the side of the high side hose wrapped in that factory gooey stuff....it's a thermocouple capillary tube that senses freezing of the AC line and closes the expansion valve to aid in un-freezing the line

fireguyfire

That makes sense 383 as it did come with a roll of black goopy stuff. One final question (I hate to be a pain) is doI wrap this around the steel part of that hose, the rubber part, or both? Then I assume I tape over the wrapped part with this goopy black tape.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

A383Wing

it goes over the metal part of hose...when metal line freezes, then the tube tells the expansion valve to close blocking freon flow. The rubber line will not freeze