News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shipping fenders ?

Started by ralley72, January 16, 2014, 05:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralley72

Anybody here ship fenders across the country?  :shruggy: How did you package them? Build a complete box, or just stuck them on a pallet and shrink warp them? Got any pictures on how you prepared them for shipping?

Thanks,

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

Ghoste

A place I used to work for did it a fair bit and it seemed to be equal parts of both.  My opinion would be that the palletized ones faired better.

Troy

I have seen them shipped mostly bare via Greyhound. I shipped some of my own via UPS in giant cardboard boxes. If I were shipping 2 I'd probably use a pallet but then you're at the mercy of finding a trucking company to work with. Trucking companies will charge you by the amount of floor space you're taking up so, if I remember right, it was actually cheaper to ship individually by UPS. Greyhound is much cheaper but you're at the mercy of the baggage handler AND you have to drop off and pick up at a terminal.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bill440rt

I've never had any luck shipping fenders thru UPS or FedEx, due to them being oversize. They always had to go freight.
Check with some of your local bodyshops in the area. They get shipments of auto sheetmetal often, & are sometimes a treasure trove for large sturdy boxes.
Also check out freightquote.com
They are a freight broker. You tell them what you are shipping, the size/weight of the box, and where it has to go (residence/business). They will then quote you shipping from several freight carriers. No pallet is necessary if you are there when the truck comes to pick it up, or if the buyer is present when delivered. Saves a bunch. Most often they will come right to your door to pick it up, or you could take it to the carrier if you have one locally. Around my area Greyhound is a complete ass ache, so I don't use them.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

sanders7981

I went the greyhound method as it was the cheapest option.  I shrink wrapped the fender and used thick cardboard to cover any sharp edges, then taped it up to make sure the wrap was secured.  The tape also doubled as a handle for easy carrying. I sent it from NC to Idaho for about $80 for the one fender.  Buyer contacted me to inform me it arrived safe and sound.   

Ghoste

That's good to know then.  Thanks.

green69rt

I've received shipments (never sent) and had good and bad both ways.   In a box from AMD, the fender was packed loose and it slid around inside the box during handling, dinged up the corners some.  Another time it came thru without a scratch.    I've bought a used fender on ebay that was shipped via greyhound and since the fender was cut from an old car I don't know if the dings were from shipping or because of hits the original car took. :shruggy:  I think you just have to make your best call and go with it.

sanders7981

Quote from: Ghoste on January 17, 2014, 03:37:57 PM
That's good to know then.  Thanks.

:cheers: no worries.  I have also sent complete exhaust the same way.  Just as long as it's less than 80 inches and 72 lbs I believe.  The dimension restrictions are on their shipping website. 

talkiemopar

I sent a 70 charger fender last year from Cincinnati to Portland Oregon by Grayhound. It took a week to get there safe and sound. It cost $92.00. I would use them again. Boxed up, UPS was over $700.00. I bubble wrapped and shrink wrapped and used some cardboard.  Rick.   :2thumbs: :popcrn:

bill440rt

UPS & FedEx freight costs are through the roof.
I just got quoted a price thru Freightquote to ship a complete 66/67 door (with vent window & glass, VERY heavy) from NJ to KY, price was right around $240. That's picked up right from my house, delivered straight to the buyer.
I shipped a PAIR of '70 fenders before, both fenders were in the SAME box. IIRC shipping was around $400.
Greyhound works for some, but not others. All depends on location, I suppose.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

ACUDANUT

I used freightquote.com .  I wrapped them up in cardboard and lots of shipping tape.

Windsor

I have shipped and received body parts across country. I go for Fastenal and have never had an issue. Had a steel plate bumper shipped from OR to AZ. On a pallet with no shrink wrap, not a single scratch in the primer.

Ghoste

troy.70R/T

tell me about fedex freight I wanted to ship an old gas station sign and they wanted $275.00 to ship it. :RantExplode:

ralley72

Thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up stacking them on a pallet, used some 2x4s and plywoood to secure them from moving around and shrink warped the whole works together. The buyer found his own shipper that required they be place on a pallet, so I don't know what the cost was. He used his business and said it was a hole lot cheaper than UPS or Fedex, to big for greyhound. I shipped him 2 fenders, a front valance, header panel and the black rubber headlight rings. Weight about 100 pounds. I never received any comments back from the buyer, so I assumed all parts made it there as shipped.

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

randy73

I received a fender that had cardboard around the fender and shrink wrapped via Greyhound and it looked good when I got the fender.

Windsor

Quote from: Ghoste on February 13, 2014, 07:14:32 AM
Fastenal ship parts?
Yup, only thing I have found that they will not ship is large tool boxes. Tried to get my Matco 3 bay shipped, but they said their insurance advisor said no. Too much risk.

Ghoste

Do they ship to any address or is it a store to store deal?

green69rt

Quote from: Ghoste on February 25, 2014, 06:19:48 AM

If you're talking about Greyhound, they ship bus terminal to terminal.   You have to deliver to the terminal and pickup.

Ghoste

Windsor

Quote from: Ghoste on February 25, 2014, 06:19:48 AM
They ship store to store. They call the recipient when it arrives. Good thing is that they have lifting equipment on hand for heavy/palleted items to be put in a pickup.

Ghoste

Good to know then, thanks Windsor.