News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I don't need one but... (why no repro 66-67 headliners)

Started by Ghoste, January 21, 2014, 06:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I can't help but wonder why no one has reproduced the fastback headliners?  It's a unique piece to those cars only and it doesn't look incredibly complicated.  Are they all still in great shape?

jaak

What does the 66/67 Headliner look like. Does it install with bows like the 68-74's do? Is it perforated material?

It could simply be, they don't have a pattern for it (which one would think is unlikely as many as these cars have been restored). But the reason I said that is I know a guy that was fixing up a '66 Chrysler 300, and no one was reproducing a headliner. This guy used to work at Stephens Performance for a few years, so he got to know some different vendors for Mopar Parts. Anyways, I can't remember which company it was, but he called them about a headliner for the 300, and they told him they didn't make them because the simply didn't have a pattern to go by. Well long story short, he wound up carefully removing the original and sent it to them, they had an original to make a pattern off of, and he got the very first '66 300 headliner they made....and on top of that they gave it to him free for supplying them with the original one.

Jason

Ghoste

Neither.  Its a one piece fiberglass unit with a type of flocking material on it.  The headliner holds up great of course but that flocking stuff takes a helluva beating over time.

jaak

Quote from: Ghoste on January 21, 2014, 09:04:30 AM
Neither.  Its a one piece fiberglass unit with a type of flocking material on it.  The headliner holds up great of course but that flocking stuff takes a helluva beating over time.

Ok. just wondering, to be honest I couldn't picture a 66/67 headliner in my head.

It may be the price of making a mold could be what's keeping them from being repopped  :shruggy:

Jason

Ghoste

Maybe.  Even that flocking-carpet looking stuff its covered with though, you'd think someone could duplicate it?

jaak

Quote from: Ghoste on January 21, 2014, 09:11:29 AM
Maybe.  Even that flocking-carpet looking stuff its covered with though, you'd think someone could duplicate it?

Yeah that's true. I just got through googling some pics to see what it looks like. If you had the material, looks like it would be pretty simple to recover yourself. While looking at pics I found a link where a guy recovered his in some felt like material.

http://www.chargersourceguide.com/headliner.html

Jason