News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2015 Challenger buzz

Started by bull, January 16, 2014, 01:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Whether it really happens remains to be seen but I've read and heard several rumors about the Challenger. It's days are numbered and so this is the last hurrah is one of the things being said. There's talk of 600+ hp from either a 6.1 or a Viper V10.  Pricing will be insane if it's really going this direction, but there will undoubtedly be many other basic models to choose from.

What kind of flap have you guys heard?

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/08/13/spyshots-600hp-2015-dodge-challenger-srt7/

JB400

Power is supposed to come from a supercharged 6.2 Hemi called the Hellcat and priced similar to the GT500 and the z/28 according to Allpar.

Just read the article.  Says the same thing :slap:

68X426

http://wot.motortrend.com/1401_we_hear_2015_dodge_challenger_srt_hellcat_debuting_in_detroit.html

Motor Trend quotes the Hellcat as having a 6.2 supercharged engine. Possibly to be shown at the Detroit Auto Show, which runs right now, 1-13 to 1-26.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

JB400

I've also heard that it may be at the North American Auto Show in New York if it isn't displayed in Detroit.  It'd probably get overlooked by that new mustang thing.

bull

Maybe. That Rustang.looks like a.mix.between a.Saturn.and.a.Supra or something. Not good.

1974dodgecharger

I hea4d the mustang is suppose to push 700hp from a ecoboost 5.6l it will top in its class over supercars for 75k

Ghoste

I wonder if they'll be able to find a way to get the power and still hit CAFE?  Or will they even bother to try?  Not right away but eventually.

Mytur Binsdirti

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on January 16, 2014, 06:52:09 AM
I wonder if they'll be able to find a way to get the power and still hit CAFE?  Or will they even bother to try?  Not right away but eventually.

Obummer might find a way to CAFE all the fun right out of the auto industry. The clown started his first term with a C300 and wound up behind the wheel of a Pious after the puppet masters beat him down. By the tone of some of the articles it sounds as if muscle will be a thing of the past... again. But then Ford has a 45 mpg Focus that should up the average. I don't know how/if Dodge can do the same, or if Fiat will let them.

JB400

I think it's the other way around.  After reading a press release from the head of Fiat, I'm under the impression that he'd rather have the high performance cars.  Alfa Romeo is scheduled to release a car back in the US next year, and the only electric car that they plan on building is the 500e.  The claim is that they're currently losing money on the 500e.  He did mention that they'll be expanding into hybrids shortly.  Maybe, with the combination of the hybrids and the 8 and 9 spd transmissions, they'll be able to meet the regulations and still be able to offer the fun stuff.

Here's his press release:  http://www.allpar.com/history/auto-shows/Detroit/sergio-2014.html

bull

I hope so. Still, it seems we are usually punished with these environmental standards while hundreds if not thousands of other nations go on about their business unconcerned about pollution and conservation.

Mike DC

QuoteObummer might find a way to CAFE all the fun right out of the auto industry. The clown started his first term with a C300 and wound up behind the wheel of a Pious after the puppet masters beat him down. By the tone of some of the articles it sounds as if muscle will be a thing of the past... again. But then Ford has a 45 mpg Focus that should up the average. I don't know how/if Dodge can do the same, or if Fiat will let them.

1.  Higher CAFE regs
2.  Higher fuel prices --> crashed economy
3.  Fuel shortages.  

Pick one.  It's a simple question.

The public revolts at the idea of either one of the latter two.  A decent chunk of the public actually supports the first one.  What do you expect anyone in power to do?  Obummer will do this and so will everyone who follows him.  

We had lower CAFE before Obummer.  Instead, we had higher fuel prices --> crashed economy.  

1974dodgecharger

Mad max time........

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 16, 2014, 02:29:40 PM
QuoteObummer might find a way to CAFE all the fun right out of the auto industry. The clown started his first term with a C300 and wound up behind the wheel of a Pious after the puppet masters beat him down. By the tone of some of the articles it sounds as if muscle will be a thing of the past... again. But then Ford has a 45 mpg Focus that should up the average. I don't know how/if Dodge can do the same, or if Fiat will let them.

1.  Higher CAFE regs
2.  Higher fuel prices --> crashed economy
3.  Fuel shortages.  

Pick one.  It's a simple question.

The public revolts at the idea of either one of the latter two.  A decent chunk of the public actually supports the first one.  What do you expect anyone in power to do?  Obummer will do this and so will everyone who follows him.  

We had lower CAFE before Obummer.  Instead, we had higher fuel prices --> crashed economy.  

Ponch ®

Chrysler / Jeep / Dodge / FIAT has enough gas sippers in its fleet to offset the "halo" cars and the trucks. Hell, a new 300 w/ a V6 will get you 32 mpg on the highway easy.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

JB400

Quote from: Ponch ® on January 16, 2014, 04:51:08 PM

Chrysler / Jeep / Dodge / FIAT has enough gas sippers in its fleet to offset the "halo" cars and the trucks. Hell, a new 300 w/ a V6 will get you 32 mpg on the highway easy.
But, the problem is, they have to get 50 mpg in the next 10 years

NYCMille

The biggest problem with this car is that it still won't be as good as the Camaro, or even the current generation Mustang (to say nothing about the '15). The Challengers Achilles heal has always been size, weight and lack of tire. You could give it 1,000 hp and a 420 hp Mustang will still be better around a track. It's been riding on an outdated chassis for the last 7 years that, even with SUBSTANTIAL suspension and chassis modifications, still can't handle it's own weight, much less more power.

It's a nice car, a nice driver and yes, it will be fast like the good old days, just don't ask it to around a corner in comparison to the competition.

Ghoste

Are many people taking them to the track

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on January 16, 2014, 05:24:51 PM
No, because they are pigs! ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

I mean all three.  Is the average Mustang or Camaro owner track using them either?

Ponch ®

Quote from: Ghoste on January 16, 2014, 05:28:03 PM
I mean all three.  Is the average Mustang or Camaro owner track using them either?

Id tend to agree with this guy. People that are willing to spend $60K+ for a car to use on the track will go for an M class, a Porsche, Vette, etc. 

It's all about bragging rights anyway.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

1974dodgecharger

Pound fortune and price per price the GTR still wins hands down.....at the track and road.

Cooter

So my ole 1970 Challenger with its 550 hp and mediocre handling is right on part with the 2012 Challenger?
HA!
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

QuoteThe biggest problem with this car is that it still won't be as good as the Camaro, or even the current generation Mustang (to say nothing about the '15). The Challengers Achilles heal has always been size, weight and lack of tire. You could give it 1,000 hp and a 420 hp Mustang will still be better around a track. It's been riding on an outdated chassis for the last 7 years that, even with SUBSTANTIAL suspension and chassis modifications, still can't handle it's own weight, much less more power.

It's a nice car, a nice driver and yes, it will be fast like the good old days, just don't ask it to around a corner in comparison to the competition.

I agree.  But it's arguably the same problem the original Chally had.  Is it a problem or the car's identity?   Nobody wanting a real sports car would have spent $4000+ on a Challenger in 1970 either. 

ws23rt

Quote from: Ghoste on January 16, 2014, 05:24:51 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Sure there are those that want the performance and use it but I suspect that most just want some good numbers and will wear the car like an ear ring. --As my daughter says whatever.

1974dodgecharger

No majority will not take them to the track, don't confuse yourself.