News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Restoreing my dash and have questions

Started by lexxman, January 15, 2014, 06:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexxman

Hi,all. I'm to the point the that dash is getting done. I have it repainted with the wrinkle paint,so that's done. Now is the ash tray painted with wrinkle paint as well or flat black? Mine looked it be just flat black,but I don't know if that's original. And should I use semi gloss or flat black on the plastic bezels? And does anyone have any good ideas as how to get the moldy, mustie smell out of the small pads. I just got a new upper dash pad from PG classic.

fy469rtse

look at some of the retoration threads on here,
you will get your answers from looking at some the guys threads who have done great examples of what should be , etc
heavy fuel's resto. also bulls, keep going through build threads and you see different ways of doing things

Dino

There's a few tricks to get the smell out of the pads.  Google it and see what works best for you.

The ash tray should be as close a match as possible to the adjoining pads so it blends in.  A flat/satin paint would probably be your best bet.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

lexxman

Quote from: Dino on January 16, 2014, 08:24:26 AM
There's a few tricks to get the smell out of the pads.  Google it and see what works best for you.

The ash tray should be as close a match as possible to the adjoining pads so it blends in.  A flat/satin paint would probably be your best bet.

Ya I will have to check to net,I've tried a few things ,but my wife can still smell it. I can a bit,but on a hot summers day I'm guessing it would drive you out of the car. And that's what I figured about the ash tray.I  checked a few thread I had bookmarked and no wrinkle paint.

stripedelete

lexxman

I will check that out. Lemon juice,  so Meany uses.lol

Ghoste

No kidding?  Huh, my lesson for the day.  :cheers:

bull

Are we talking 2nd gen.? SEM Landau black needs to become your best friend.

lexxman

yes bull it is a gen 2,69. I'm just now trying to locate hardware to put it all back together.

bull

By the way, what is this "wrinkle paint" you mentioned?

Put SEM Landau black on the vinyl parts and SEM Trim Black on the metal parts.

lexxman

I had some mopar stuff before,but its a textured finish paint to give you a factory look. the new can I just got is from eastwood"black wrinkle finish " part#10014z I painted the ash tray semi gloss block to match the dash pads. Can some one tell me what kind of screws or bolts are used to fasten the instrument cluster in place? I can't find it in the shop manual and my main computer is down ,so I can't get at my parts catalog.

lexxman

Ok I'm cleaning up my gauges,what the best way to clean the number on the speedo. I have tried a few things without luck,I know I could buy the sticker for them . But if I can just brighten them up with a wash thats all the better.