News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First burn out today...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, January 14, 2014, 09:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

I did my first burn out today in the 68!!!!  It was pretty insane and I did not mean to do it for some reason it happened.

I came upon on a on ramp light and when she hit green I released the clutch and press the gas mind you that you need to get up to speed to get on the highway here in AZ it was a short on ramp or you will never get on or have alot of issues.  I press the gas pedal roughly haflway and I noticed I was not moving and look over to the guy to my left and saw and old man looking at him and he is passing me in his 90s chevy caprice looking vehicle.  Then I smelled slight smoke and figured out why I was not really moving during those 2 secs upon looking in my rear view smoke was all over the place with the smell of rubber and IM still in first gear and she hits 5500 rpm and switch to 2nd and she is still burning she drops to 4k rpms now, but then I shift to 3rd and she calms down a bit and 4th finally and she is queit. 

I never meant for this to happen either and never thought I had that much power to do such things on the car since I usually granny driver her alot.  The smoke was all over th place at the on ramp light so it was pretty intense.

one thing I noticed was that both tires created smoke does this mean I have a sure grip?  I looked at my fender tag and it was regular 8 3/4 axle setup nothing special to it and I know my buddy did not change it to sure grip because he gave me a sure grip axle to put in if I wanted to, but did not.

man I did not think that a sub 300 HP power vehicle could that with 4000lbs....

Ghoste

Baldwinvette77

Im confused... so youre saying you own a 68 charger.... and you don't Normally do burnouts  :ahum:
huh... more power to you i guess, as for me when i get my charger running, my boss won't have to worry about that mountain of used tires we have out back  :rofl:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on January 14, 2014, 09:23:11 PM
Awesome!  Congratulations!  :2thumbs:

lets say my nerves were slightly shaken just a tad so I had to stop and get some food to relax and I over bought some food by accident 3 roast beef sandwichs, large curly fries, 5 onion rings, and 5 mozzerella sticks at Arbys and I got in my car and realized I had way too much food  ;D

XH29N0G

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

I think 'didn't mean to' stops counting after the first to second to third shift.  :scratchchin:

Did you eat all that food?

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on January 14, 2014, 09:36:10 PM
Im confused... so youre saying you own a 68 charger.... and you don't Normally do burnouts  :ahum:
huh... more power to you i guess, as for me when i get my charger running, my boss won't have to worry about that mountain of used tires we have out back  :rofl:

yeah really believe it or not I dont do burn outs on my car I do hard accelerations though, but never done a burn out.  

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: XH29N0G on January 14, 2014, 09:36:42 PM
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

I think 'didn't mean to' stops counting after the first to second to third shift.  :scratchchin:

well I told myself its too late now...she is in a burning out state so I kept going.

XH29N0G

Your post suddenly made a tough day for me into one where I laughed.  Thanks.  This is one of the many things that are great about these cars.

Or maybe it protects us. 

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 14, 2014, 09:38:32 PM
Quote from: XH29N0G on January 14, 2014, 09:36:42 PM

well I told myself its too late now...she is in a burning out state so I kept going.

I think that might have been adrenaline talking  :lol:

1974dodgecharger

no I carried it into work this huge bag of Arbys and sat down before my shift I ate one roast beef sandwich and felt full!!!  All my co workers asked me if I was 'ok' I said 'yeah, why'

'well its becuase you have a very large bag of food for some odd reason and we know you dont eat that much food'  I laughed and told them what happened....they told me to take a smoke break before shift to relax even further since after I told them the storie I got all hyped up again lol...

I still cant get over the smoke it caused my whole rear view mirror all I saw was smoke and it took maybe 40 yards to finally see the car behind me at the light of pure smoke....INSNAE MY CHARGER BROTHERS VERY INSANE!!!!

Back N Black

That's a funny and cool story. :2thumbs: Every time i take my Charger out for a drive i do at least one smokey burnout. I have 6000 miles on my rear tires and it looks like it has 50,000 miles.

JB400

That's pretty cool :2thumbs:  Could you teach Stu how to do one? :lol:

oldgold69

cavemanno1

Well done,bet it felt good!I have never done a burnout either on my charger!Did plenty with my bikes although not with the Ducati!

Just curious,if you don't have sure grip how come both tires were smoking?Isn't sure grip for driving both wheels not just the one on the right  :scratchchin: ?

1974dodgecharger

Thats what was confusing me when I looked behind me I saw both tires giving off smoke....I thought thats what sure grip did and a NON sure grip would spin only one tire so it was kinda odd it did that, but hey it was fun watching all that smoke and the old man next to me shook his head in disbelief lol.....

Cooter

TORQUE gets wheels spinning. 4-speed keeps em spinning coupled with uber hard rubber street tires and not hard to see why dumping the clutch spun the tires. 300 hp or not.

I have one car with an automatic that does this when loud pedal is mashed, at about a 30 mph roll...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

XH29N0G

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 15, 2014, 06:10:48 AM
and the old man next to me shook his head in disbelief lol.....

Some of us are old men too.  I would also shake my head.  He might have been shaking his head but also thinking back....  (I think my dad still does that with me and I rode in a car seat in my charger.)

Or maybe it protects us. 

Cooter

TORQUE gets wheels spinning. 4-speed keeps em spinning coupled with uber hard rubber street tires and not hsrd to see why dumping the clutch spun the tires. 300 hp or not.

I have one car with an automatic that does this when loud pedal is mashed, at about a 30 mph roll...

Yes, an open rear when suspension is unloaded evenly ( like when someone dumps the clutch) will spin BOTH wheels.
Ps, I have another 8 3/4" chunk when you break that one from doing "burnouts"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Tire smoke is highly addictive by the way.  If you were able to smell even a trace of it you are screwed.  Damn stuff is worse than crack.

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on January 15, 2014, 06:47:59 AM
Tire smoke is highly addictive by the way.  If you were able to smell even a trace of it you are screwed.  Damn stuff is worse than crack.
[/quote

I still think a line of body fragrances aimed towards blue-collar, DIY types of men would be a success.  I don't know about you guys, but after a bit of wrenching or even driving an older machine like a Charger around for a few hours, the smell of gas, oil, steel and vinyls are highly intoxicating; well, to me anyway...

tan top

:coolgleamA: :popcrn:

:2thumbs:  ,  tire smoke , light them up   :drool5: :dance: :drive:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Cooter on January 15, 2014, 06:30:31 AM
TORQUE gets wheels spinning. 4-speed keeps em spinning coupled with uber hard rubber street tires and not hsrd to see why dumping the clutch spun the tires. 300 hp or not.

Yes, an open rear when suspension is unloaded evenly ( like when someone dumps the clutch) will spin BOTH wheels.
Ps, I have another 8 3/4" chunk when you break that one from doing "burnouts"...

told you cooter I dont do this stuff man lol....like I said it was my first burn out in the charger I usually just cruise her.  Just like how I still want a blower for the looks and not actual power gains from it..... :icon_smile_big:

Dino

I think I did a burnout just about every day for the longest time.  Very tempting when you're at a stop out in the country with nobody around.  Now I don't do those anymore really, but I still love to push it in a turn so the tail slides out a bit. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

RallyeMike

If this post is in practice for an excuse to get out of you next "display" ticket, I give you a D   :nana:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Lord Warlock

I find it hard to believe that ANY owner of a muscle car has never done a burnout.  Although I find the story funny or fun to read, I doubt things.   I often hear similar stories from new SRT8 owners that claim to never have gone 100 in the car, they spend 50k on a high performance car and never hit 100? also hard to believe, 100 is way too easy to reach even on an interstate onramp, would believe them if they said 125, alot of people get scared driving over 100.

I did burnouts as soon as I got into a car and was in a position to do so without getting a ticket.  I only stopped doing them after I had to buy my first set of replacement tires myself.  Still do them occasionally when i get a new car.  Just to see how the car handles when back tires are loose. 

I did once get a surprise, tried to do a burnout making a left turn in a car with all wheel drive, front tires spun rear tires gripped car moved to center of road, then as I straightened wheel, rear tires spun and front tires gripped, ended up off the road with front wheels pointed toward a drainage ditch.  the goal initially was to fishtail the stealth like a mustang would, learned not to do that again.  About 8 years later tried it again on a straight road with a 5k clutch dump trying to do a 4 wheel burnout, did get them to spin but managed to spin the clutch on the pressure plate, glazing the clutch, burnt clutch smell overwhelmed the burnt rubber smell ruining the experience for me. 

The charger did one good burnout with both tires spinning through all 3 gears on the automatic, left two stripes about 3 blocks long, and my car does not have posi either I did not brake torque it to start the burn, did shift manually through the auto on column.  It did lots of burnouts in various locations as a teenager owner.  Plan on doing a burnout soon after I get the car drivable again, its part of the reliving the past experience.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.