News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter restoration : Its finished!

Started by resq302, November 07, 2013, 06:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Has anyone else come across this? I started taking apart this 1968 dated alternator to restore it and thought the plastic / bakalite housing was a repro or after market but once I got it opened up, the Mopar logo was there as well as the part number. I have always known these to be white and never black in all the starters i have worked on over the years or seen at shows.

Do I have something unique?

Armature contact area all cleaned up

Exploeded view of the before and internals before the cleaning up process begins!

This will be a similar thread to the Alternator Restoration thread I had started to coincide with the alternator and starter restoration business I have recently begun.  Any questions, please feel free to PM me, post here, or email me at resq302 at aol.com

Thanks.

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

resq302

got around to finishing up the Starter Restoration project so I now have some pics for reference for those who might be interested in getting their starter or alternator rebuilt / restored.

internal parts all cleaned up

access cover seemed to have a black oxide finish to it once it got degreased

aluminum starter nose all cleaned up (notice it is not bead blasted and still has the original green sand cast finish!)

finished product with correct black over spray as the factory would have done!

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

resq302

thanks!  I still have to remove the rubber covers I put on over the electrical connections just like the factory did and finish waiting for the paint to dry.  Once that is done, it is totally finished with the exception of putting the Inspector decal on it.
Brian

resq302

One thing I should mention that I could not believe I have missed all these years.  I was fortunate enough to locate an alternator housing and starter that had the nose unmolested.  The aluminum pieces on the alternator were originally cast in what was called "green sand" and gave them a fairly smooth finish to it.  (thanks to Dave Walden for pointing that out to me).  A majority of the casings out in the market today have been completely ruined of this original finish due to rebuilders sand blasting the housings to "clean" it up and give it that fresh looking aluminum.  Once this original finish is gone, there is no way to ever get it back.  Luckily, there is a chemical process that can be done to remove the corrosion without having to go the sand blasting route as you can see from the example I posted.  Granted, it is not for the faint of heart, however, no one ever said doing a correct restoration was easy.
Brian

maxwellwedge

Quote from: resq302 on November 07, 2013, 06:16:41 PM
Has anyone else come across this? I started taking apart this 1968 dated alternator to restore it and thought the plastic / bakalite housing was a repro or after market but once I got it opened up, the Mopar logo was there as well as the part number. I have always known these to be white and never black in all the starters i have worked on over the years or seen at shows.

Do I have something unique?

This will be a similar thread to the Alternator Restoration thread I had started to coincide with the alternator and starter restoration business I have recently begun.  Any questions, please feel free to PM me, post here, or email me at resq302 at aol.com

Thanks.

Brian

Yes - As I noted on another forum....under a different handle - lol - Original solenoid housings can be black (and now I have heard brown as well...on that other forum) on original starter housings....I have 2 in black on my A12's. You did a very nice job!  :2thumbs:

resq302

Thanks.  I think I need to retake the picture of the finished product since the picture turned out a little dark though.
Brian

sanders7981