News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New 2015 F-150 - Official photos

Started by TUFCAT, January 13, 2014, 08:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

I could probably get used to that huge new grille, but the Ram is so much sweeter looking! The Ford interior is pretty nice.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/2015-ford-f-150-debuts-aluminum-2-7-ecoboost/

Ghoste

I think I'll need to get used to seeing the headlight and taillight shape too.  I'd take it over the GM or Toyota pickups.

War wagon

Not a fan of the styling at all. The interior looks to cluttered with way too much going on.
A 2.7 is wayyy too small IMO for a half ton pickup truck. They are trying to turn pickups into grocery getters :shruggy:

Hopefully they have at least solved the hydro lock issues with the Eco boost motor LMAO  :smilielol: :smilielol:

It's like Ford and Toyota had a bastard child.....
Going to be so easy to spot the latest trucks from Ford, GMC, Toyota they all share the same boring brick shape with faces only a mother could love  :lol:

Ghoste

They've been grocery getters for a long time now but I think consumer demands are what turned them into that.

TUFCAT

Apparently Ford doesn't like trucks need to be aero friendly either... or maybe they feel the 700 lb reduction by using aluminum helps enough with MPG?

Whatever the case, the front end styling leaves a lot on the table compared to the Ram. Ford calls it "beautiful and strong". I'm not drinking that Kool-Aid quite yet...!  :eek2:

1970Moparmann

I like it!  Ford has come a long way in the last 4 years and think they have one of the best products on the market.  In 2010 I looked at the big three hard to pick out a truck.  I picked a Ford.  I use it like a 3/4 ton at times, and it keeps up.  The 2015 blows the 2010 away.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

bakerhillpins

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 13, 2014, 08:21:21 AM
I could probably get used to that huge new grille, but the Ram is so much sweeter looking! The Ford interior is pretty nice.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/2015-ford-f-150-debuts-aluminum-2-7-ecoboost/

Does the Mrs know your browbeating that rig?  :hah:

Looks like a nice truck. The wife has put a Crew Cab 4x4 truck on the shopping list, looking to buy in the next 1-2 years. We shall see what happens but at present we were looking at the Ford and Dodge units.

Quote from: Ghoste on January 13, 2014, 09:20:55 AM
They've been grocery getters for a long time now but I think consumer demands are what turned them into that.

:yesnod:
As far as the grocery getter mentality is concerned I wouldn't even consider one of these vehicles if I couldn't cover the gamut of needs our household requires. With entry prices where they are it doesn't make any economical sense for our family to do it any other way.  I would love to just buy one of these to have so I can expand my car collection but that aint going to cut it in the long run.  It sounds a bit hypocritical to go out and buy toy cars like the Charger and then argue ROI with these vehicles but that's why I could get a Charger in the first place, I can and do balance a check book.  :Twocents:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ghoste

Oh yeah, I didn't mean for the grocery getter thing to sound bad, I just meant they've been that way for a while and its because its what we as consumers wanted.

bakerhillpins

:cheers:

Wasn't taken that way, just lots of folks wonder why the MFGs keep moving in that direction so I thought I would put that out there. So right back at you with I didn't mean to sound defensive.   :icon_smile_big:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JB400

Looks like Ford is following along with Chevrolet and just going with a tough looking  Tonka truck and dumping the sport truck market. :rotz:  However, Ram still has both markets well covered and hope they continue to do so.

Ghoste

Me too, they make a great truck and a great looking one as well, it'd be a shame to see them go for this blocky style.

Mike DC

Nobody has brought up the most interesting thing about this new Ford - the entire cab shell is made of aluminum. 

They've been doing hoods for years but this is a major step.  The F-series a gigantic market, it's not a small model where you experiment with new engineering risks.  If Ford is comfortable doing it to the F-series then they'll do it on anything.   

ws23rt

Oh Oh --aluminum is is not very green.  Takes mass quantities of electricity and that comes from coal.
So how many trees need to be planted per truck?

Baldwinvette77

i don't think i've actually seen anybody excited for a new car... ever... all the kids i hang out will either talk about japanese cars from the 80's or 90's or musclecars from the 60's or 70's.... supercars don't count cause noone can afford them anyway....

JB400

I don't really consider the all aluminum body such a news story.  They've been doing mass produced bodies since the 50's and Corvette's have been all aluminum since the C5 Z06.  I'll give them credit that they're trying different things to satisfy the new CAFE regulations, but the jury is still out on whether it'll be a good thing, or turn around and nip them in the rear.

Mike DC

AFAIK those new Vettes have had alloy frames, not whole alloy bodies.  Doing a body shell out of alloy is actually a bigger step for the industry than doing a frame IMHO.   

For years I have felt like the switch to alloy bodies will be the sign that they are getting serious about MPG.  Until then, for all the talk and effort and hand-wringing, it has basically just been messing with components on the existing cars.  Engines, gearing, aero styling, more and more plastic, etc.  Going to entire alloy bodies is a concrete change in the industry to improve the MPG.

JB400

The C5 chassis was hydoformed. and then riveted/ bonded together.  The doors I believe, were aluminum with a fiberglass/ carbon fiber skin.  The roofs are aluminum.
All Ford has done is expand this building concept to the whole cab.

fy469rtse

I'm with bill , looks like a transformer, unless you lock it up at night who knows what it will get up to , I'd
Get the number plate prime for this one,
I heard ford added the mister juicer to there engine to cure that hydro lock ,  like back to the future films, now Warner Bros are threatening legal action for copyright

Ghoste

Mike is right about the cab being a big deal.  The Vette is not an all aluminum body and I don't know that I'd put the 60's Shelby Cobra in the same mass produced pickups.  They have been doing it in Class 8 tractors but this is different.  This is a big deal for Ford and with the mileage engine they are obviously looking at CAFE.  It will be worth watching to see what happens.

bakerhillpins

E-ONE has been making their Fire Engine cabins completely from Aluminum for a long time, airplanes are made mostly of AL. Using Aluminum on vehicles for cabs isn't really anything new except for the fact that we are seeing it in US mass production cars. Actually Range Rover has been doing it for years.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120906/carnews/120909922

My big concern would be the fact that its not as flexible as steel and how it might deal with the everyday door dings and thuds.

As far as it's green situation you could argue that it's less prone to rust which means that the vehicle might stay on the road longer. All metals are easily recyclable so cost is offset by reused stock. Lots a beer cans.  :2thumbs:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

TruckDriver

It's a FORD! I would never buy a Ford period!
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Tilar

I have 5 Mopars and 3 GM vehicles and no Fords.  I've always had good luck with Fords and if I were to ever buy another new vehicle it would hands down be a Ford, but not that new truck because I don't like that buck tooth looking grill.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bill440rt

Repairing this all-aluminum truck after a collision should be interesting. Many shops won't have the capacity to do so if it requires special procedures.
If Fords guidelines for this F150 are anything like other manufacturers for aluminum, many pieces won't even be repairable. It'll be "replace everything". The shops will need to know-how and the special equipment to do so.
And this is on a "common" vehicle.  :scratchchin:   
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

stripedelete

Quote from: bill440rt on January 14, 2014, 01:02:55 PM
Repairing this all-aluminum truck after a collision should be interesting. Many shops won't have the capacity to do so if it requires special procedures.
If Fords guidelines for this F150 are anything like other manufacturers for aluminum, many pieces won't even be repairable. It'll be "replace everything". The shops will need to know-how and the special equipment to do so.
And this is on a "common" vehicle.  :scratchchin:   

:yesnod:  Exactly where I went.