News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for a 68-70 charger for 200 dollars..

Started by 1974dodgecharger, January 13, 2014, 03:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

Who are these people?  They come on the board and almost 'demanding' they get a charger for X amount of dollars with zero post count? I just went in the wanted section and some of those posts make me laugh at some of the things they say.  Its almost like a drive by of some sorts (while driving in a car 50mph) 'Hi Im looking for a 68-70 charger for 500 dollars, thanks email me or call me'

myk

TPR

1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Mike DC

People also post ads on Ebay selling a car for literally 5 or 10 times its value.  

Lots of ads aren't being realistic.  Its always been that way.

Ghoste

Exactly.  You don't play poker with your cards facing up.

Vector

Quote from: TPR on January 13, 2014, 05:25:59 AM
FOUND ONE!

Did you mean the car or the NEW TOOL ?  :icon_smile_big:

From what I have been seeing recently anyone looking to spend much less than $10,000 on a second gen Charger isn't really looking for something good enough to rebuild.

Vector

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 13, 2014, 05:58:40 AM

People also post ads on Ebay selling a car for literally 5 or 10 times its value.  

Lots of ads aren't being realistic.  Its always been that way.

I wonder sometimes people jump online when they're thinking of selling their car, see all these adds with big numbers and think, hey look how much I can get, without realising they're looking at a group of cars that are massively overpriced and have been for sale for a loooong time.

There is the other type of seller who not actually a seller at all, but place an add with a ridiculously high price to placate their spouse who wants the car gone, knowing they'll never get a call.  I knew a guy in a car club many years ago that did this with his 68 SSRS Camaro for years just to keep the peace at home.

Ghoste

Cooter knows where there is half a Charger with no title for 300.  You just have to have the balls to take it on.

Vector

Quote from: Ghoste on January 13, 2014, 06:46:42 AM
Cooter knows where there is half a Charger with no title for 300.  You just have to have the balls to take it on.

If its already in half it sounds like someone already took it on and failed.   ;D

Ghoste

areibel

I think most of these ads are from kids, 15-16 yrs old and want a Charger but don't have a clue as to what they're worth.  Just Dreaming!  I know my oldest was 13 when I dragged my latest POS home for $2k, when I asked him what he thought it was worth he said $100 (but I think my wife put him up to it). 

myk

Quote from: areibel on January 13, 2014, 07:50:12 AM
I think most of these ads are from kids, 15-16 yrs old and want a Charger but don't have a clue as to what they're worth.  Just Dreaming!  I know my oldest was 13 when I dragged my latest POS home for $2k, when I asked him what he thought it was worth he said $100 (but I think my wife put him up to it). 

True.  I remember before I was old enough to drive, calling local dealerships and asking if they had '68-70 Chargers for sale...

Ghoste

I did that too.  :lol:  Like I could have bought one if they did have it.

areibel

I did find a 69 at a dealership for $500 once- but it was in 1980  :nana:
Sad thing is the front frame rail went bad (rust), and back then it wasn't worth fixing.  The car had been hit in the rear end and had new quarters on it (still had the part # tags on them inside the trunk) and a new tail light panel.  I went over to the parts department and bought a new "I" piece for it ($21 and change), and drove the heck out of it for a couple years.

Homerr

I'm looking for one for $150.  Cooter said I could find one today!   :icon_smile_big:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Homerr on January 13, 2014, 10:18:22 AM
I'm looking for one for $150.  Cooter said I could find one today!   :icon_smile_big:

there out there, just saying (cooter quote and unquote)  :icon_smile_big:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 13, 2014, 08:44:43 PM
Quote from: Homerr on January 13, 2014, 10:18:22 AM

there out there, just saying (cooter quote and unquote)  :icon_smile_big:

You can get really good deals if you aren't looking, the olds i have i got for 500$ running and driving, all i did was basic repairs, nothing major, and i wasn't even looking for a car, i just saw it in a yard and felt like asking about it....  :shruggy:

ws23rt

When ever I was at a wrecking yard years ago I would always ask if they had and 426 Hemis laying around.  Even as early as 1975 it was just a joke on my part. But on the other hand it could have turned something up :shruggy:

At that same time there was a yard that had 392 Hemis for a standard price of $125. They always had several.

NHCharger

I just saw one ad where they were looking to spend $2,000. for a 69 Charger on the east coast. I gave him a link to this 68 http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4223512535.html
Owner wanted 4.5 k for it last summer.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

toocheaptosmoke

Within the last couple years I saw a few shells, some with title, for $1000 to $1500 range.  Actually looked in person at one fairly complete but crusty '69 for like $3500 I think, nice grille too.  Not too bad a deal, but would have been a longer project than I wanted at the time, although usually the type of projects I end up in. :lol: 

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: NHCharger on January 13, 2014, 09:50:07 PM
I just saw one ad where they were looking to spend $2,000. for a 69 Charger on the east coast. I gave him a link to this 68 http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4223512535.html

not bad but thats still kinda pricey for a car with no suspension and rusty rear rails... but i'm no appraiser  :scratchchin:

1974dodgecharger

great start to a resto?

Homerr

Still $2000 overpriced.

cudaken

I wonder if because you can now buy all most every part need to repair these cars driving up the clapped out rust bucket parts Charger prices up? :scratchchin:

Heck, all most all of them can be repaired. All it takes is cubic money. :2thumbs:

Cuda Ken
I am back

JB400

lloyd3

I'm speechless after looking at that $2,800 hulk. Even at $1,500 it would exceed the capacity of 98% of the car-loving world to do anything with it.  Having just gone through a fairly simple repair and repaint of an accident damaged car (that took far-longer and cost me way-more than I would have ever dreamed),  it staggers me to think of all the parts and talent it would take to do anything with it.  If a clapped-out POS is worth $1,500, how do you extrapolate that to the value of a solid No. 2/No. 3 car?  The adage of "buy them already done" takes on a whole new meaning.

Mike DC

That $2800 hulk is simply not a car.  It's a very big car part which happens to carry the vehicle's numbers.  If you want a whole car then you need to start with that and also another car(s) to complete the supply of raw materials.  

Think of an engine block.  You wouldn't buy an engine block calling it a whole car.  You wouldn't start with that and then begin buying every single piece of the rest of the car out of catalogs.  

When they started making new body shells for Camaros & Mustangs, they didn't advertise "new Camaros and Mustangs".  They advertised a very large new part for restoring the existing cars.

Cooter

Just because most of these junk cars are priced on crack, doesn't change the fact they are $150.00 Chargers, someone's overpriced...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

spoolinhard

Quote from: Cooter on January 14, 2014, 06:47:29 AM
Just because most of these junk cars are priced on crack, doesn't change the fact they are $150.00 Chargers, someone's overpriced...

When you can't buy them for 1500, it absolutely changes the fact!!!!

Mike DC

Yeah but the sellers have to actually get those selling prices for the car to be worth that much.  Many of them never get a buyer at those figures.  They just aren't very serious about selling the car. 

bill440rt

There doesn't seem to be many takers of the $150 Charger variety, either.  :lol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemihead

I agree wholeheartily that these prices are insane but on the flip side , if YOU are the one who's selling it's worth every dollar . I've seen cars on this site that I would never give what someone is asking . I have actually seen guys fighting mad over an offer that the seller thought was an insult .
The there is the " it's an old car and I saw one on Barrett Jackson just like it " crowd . I guess it all comes down to which side of the fence you sit on , buyer or seller .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

dual fours

Quote from: TPR on January 13, 2014, 05:25:59 AM
FOUND ONE!
Man you found a whole Charger, you lucky dog.
I found a parts Charger, very good body! :smilielol:
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG