News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Really Cool "Aero" 3rd Gen...

Started by Lighthorseman, January 11, 2014, 07:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthorseman

So, if I may throw in some background here - I'm not huge on 3rd Gens.  They're cool, but I knew I'd likely never buy one...until I saw THIS picture...now I wonder.   :scratchchin:

Now, I'm not sure if it's been posted before, and I have no idea who owns it.  All I know is that I think it's just about the coolest 3rd Gen I have ever seen.  Sure - might only qualify as a "half-aero", since it just has the tail - does it qualify if it's nose-less?  One thing for sure is that after seeing the orange abomination that made the rounds earlier, this one (I think) shows that one can put together a really cool Aero-type 3rd Gen.

I suppose it helps that I really like the colour, and the recall wheels...   :drool5:

Ghoste

You need to see some of the work done by our own Dayclona.

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

cudaken

While the wing does not look out of places, does not do anything for me. :shruggy:

Hood and doors?  :2thumbs: Really like the hood, Maw Mopar should have done that! Door looks good, but I wonder how they widen the fenders? Still like the 2nd Gen door better, but good effort.

Over all, with out the wing I give it a 9.5, with the wing a 8. Cool Charger no matter what your taste.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Ghoste

Those recall wheels look like they are a custom piece?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Lighthorseman on January 11, 2014, 07:06:21 PM
So, if I may throw in some background here - I'm not huge on 3rd Gens.  They're cool, but I knew I'd likely never buy one...until I saw THIS picture...now I wonder.   :scratchchin:

Now, I'm not sure if it's been posted before, and I have no idea who owns it.  All I know is that I think it's just about the coolest 3rd Gen I have ever seen.  Sure - might only qualify as a "half-aero", since it just has the tail - does it qualify if it's nose-less?  One thing for sure is that after seeing the orange abomination that made the rounds earlier, this one (I think) shows that one can put together a really cool Aero-type 3rd Gen.

I suppose it helps that I really like the colour, and the recall wheels...   :drool5:

The current " green re-skin" this car is wearing, was a "rework" by the owner from the original concept that I fabricated the parts and assembled back in 2004 for said customer...it was a full Aero at one time :rotz: below in it's former self

Mike

DAY CLONA

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 11, 2014, 08:13:49 PM
So, if I may throw in some background here - I'm not huge on 3rd Gens.  They're cool, but I knew I'd likely never buy one...until I saw THIS picture...now I wonder.   :scratchchin:

Now, I'm not sure if it's been posted before, and I have no idea who owns it.  All I know is that I think it's just about the coolest 3rd Gen I have ever seen.  Sure - might only qualify as a "half-aero", since it just has the tail - does it qualify if it's nose-less?  One thing for sure is that after seeing the orange abomination that made the rounds earlier, this one (I think) shows that one can put together a really cool Aero-type 3rd Gen.

I suppose it helps that I really like the colour, and the recall wheels...   :drool5:

The current " green re-skin" this car is wearing, was a "rework" by the owner from the original concept that I fabricated the parts and assembled back in 2004 for said customer...it was a full Aero at one time :rotz: below in it's former self

Mike

It was also part of a trio of Aero 3rd Gens that I fabricated the parts, components and assembled for a former customer...

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Ghoste on January 11, 2014, 08:00:12 PM
Those recall wheels look like they are a custom piece?

Ghoste...those are actually Specialty Wheels 17X9 Road Warrior repro of the infamous "recall" wheel

Mike

Ghoste

They looked a lot different but maybe its the size is showing more of that chromed area where the originals had the trim ring.  I knew the repops didn't have the ring but I didn't recall it being so noticeable.  They look good on there.

odcics2

Chrysler owned the tooling for the production trim ring.  The "recall" wheels that continued to be made by Kelsey-Hayes AFTER they were recalled by Chrysler had chrome outer rims for that reason.  And, as we know, only 10 rivets hold the cast inner to the chromed steel outer of these "after the fact" wheels.
There were a quite a few sets with chrome rims floating around the Windsor, Ontario area, back in the day.

I saw a few sets at the Nats years ago claiming to be "real" Chrysler recall wheels, when in fact they are really just "Kelsey Hayes" wheels.
One would believe that they don't meet the same Federal Safety standards that Chrysler was attempting to meet.  (and couldn't - hence the recall)

I also saw a set, painted all black and stamped 'P O L I C E " on the back and they had MANY cracks!!   Obviously, test wheels that failed miserably!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 11, 2014, 08:13:49 PM

Mike

Do you know why it was switched out from full Aero? Seems like a shame to me.

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Tri-Poised

For more info, just follow the link on his windshield:

www.71wingcars.com

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: Tri-Poised on January 15, 2014, 11:16:32 AM
For more info, just follow the link on his windshield:

www.71wingcars.com

Thanks I never visited that site before. It doesn't really say if it was switched out anywhere that I could find.

We're the Superbird and the Daytona turned into the racecars?

Dave

1970 Charger R/T

petercharger

I'd take the green one....very very cool.      :drool5:
best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

DAY CLONA

Dave

Dave, I "parted ways" and ended my association shortly with the Bienkes after wrapping up the 71 GTX convertible project, I had over indulged them by producing a new concept/resto every year, 5 yrs in a row, so with nothing in 2007, they were struggling to produce a car for Carlisle, so they elected on their own to "reskin", or "de-skin" the black Aero car, do an engine swap, cut the rear wing down, along with assorted other nonsense to "create" a new show boat, they did pretty much the same thing with the 71 purple concept Charger car the year after, that was already done many years ago as a re-bodied V code...a hood change, add a rear spoiler, some side scoops, presto!, new car for the" pedestal ride"...as far as the "racecars" those were built from parts left over from proposed projects, "wall art" etc, etc

Mike

Stevearino

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 15, 2014, 12:33:05 PM

Dave

Dave, I "parted ways" and ended my association shortly with the Bienkes after wrapping up the 71 GTX convertible project, I had over indulged them by producing a new concept/resto every year, 5 yrs in a row, so with nothing in 2007, they were struggling to produce a car for Carlisle, so they elected on their own to "reskin", or "de-skin" the black Aero car, do an engine swap, cut the rear wing down, along with assorted other nonsense to "create" a new show boat, they did pretty much the same thing with the 71 purple concept Charger car the year after, that was already done many years ago as a re-bodied V code...a hood change, add a rear spoiler, some side scoops, presto!, new car for the" pedestal ride"...as far as the "racecars" those were built from parts left over from proposed projects, "wall art" etc, etc

Mike

Instead of redoing the beautiful black car they should have just done another gen 3 car. There are plenty out there for next to nothing. What a waste of your efforts. The Green car is pretty good looking but I really don't like cars that sport tall wings with no complimentary nose to complete the design. If they had left the wing off it would have been pretty bad ass. :Twocents: :Twocents:

Ghoste

I think that in the original team, part of the group were the promoter and part may have been the fabrication talent.  :icon_smile_wink:
But I could be wrong.

DAY CLONA

Instead of redoing the beautiful black car they should have just done another gen 3 car. There are plenty out there for next to nothing. What a waste of your efforts. The Green car is pretty good looking but I really don't like cars that sport tall wings with no complimentary nose to complete the design. If they had left the wing off it would have been pretty bad ass. :Twocents: :Twocents:
[/quote]

Stevearino, the Bienkes had started with another 71 Charger/Superbee(this eventually became their 71 racecar) body they had, to build the "green machine", but it was just a shell needing major work sheetmetal wise, plus fabrication, and because I had turned my attention to building/fabricating/assembly of the Aero for Mike Musto's 69 Daytona road racer "Angrier", I had no time to devote to their latest project, so this lead to discord, which resulted in a disassociation, and as I stated earlier, this left them without a "ride" in 2007, so it was easier for them to take a done car, modify it, engine swap, scuff/shoot...presto done

mike

Stevearino

Stevearino, the Bienkes had started with another 71 Charger/Superbee(this eventually became their 71 racecar) body they had, to build the "green machine", but it was just a shell needing major work sheetmetal wise, plus fabrication, and because I had turned my attention to building/fabricating/assembly of the Aero for Mike Musto's 69 Daytona road racer "Angrier", I had no time to devote to their latest project, so this lead to discord, which resulted in a disassociation, and as I stated earlier, this left them without a "ride" in 2007, so it was easier for them to take a done car, modify it, engine swap, scuff/shoot...presto done

mike
[/quote]

You made the right choice since the Musto ride has had much more cache . That car is everywhere.

Stevearino

Beep Beep Dave

Thanks for clearing everything up for me Mike. I must have missed the whole story earlier.
You do own the Watermelon car?
Dave

1970 Charger R/T

petercharger

They are cool cars...back in 08.contacted  the company for the kit to do a 3rd generation Daytona.   I really wanted to do one but when I got an email for the cost alone ...decided to do the 69 clone.     Cool stuff

All I am saying is that if an affortsble  3rd generation kit was produced.  I would do one.  Like the lines.  :drool5:
best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on January 17, 2014, 09:18:57 AM
Thanks for clearing everything up for me Mike. I must have missed the whole story earlier.
You do own the Watermelon car?
Dave

Yes Dave, that is my personal car, always has been, always will be...
Mike

DAY CLONA

Quote from: petercharger on January 17, 2014, 10:47:12 AM
They are cool cars...back in 08.contacted  the company for the kit to do a 3rd generation Daytona.   I really wanted to do one but when I got an email for the cost alone ...decided to do the 69 clone.     Cool stuff

All I am saying is that if an affortsble  3rd generation kit was produced.  I would do one.  Like the lines.  :drool5:

well you probably got a "quote" from gary, (I'm sure it was in the 5 fiqs) he wasn't thrilled with anyone else having a 3rd gen ride,... when I was associated with him, I let him price the 71 "kits/parts", although I was the one making the components, there's not a lot of interest in these cars like there is for the 69/70 wingcars, so the 71 components are more custom/one off made than the 69/70 parts that I've tooled over the years for short production runs...if you have some interest/questions, PM me here on DC.com regarding the possibility of building a third gen, I've sold a few 3rd gen wingcar parts over the years to members here building their own versions

Mike

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: DAY CLONA on January 17, 2014, 12:29:48 PM
Quote from: petercharger on January 17, 2014, 10:47:12 AM

well you probably got a "quote" from gary, (I'm sure it was in the 5 fiqs) he wasn't thrilled with anyone else having a 3rd gen ride,... when I was associated with him, I let him price the 71 "kits/parts", although I was the one making the components, there's not a lot of interest in these cars like there is for the 69/70 wingcars, so the 71 components are more custom/one off made than the 69/70 parts that I've tooled over the years for short production runs...if you have some interest/questions, PM me here on DC.com regarding the possibility of building a third gen, I've sold a few 3rd gen wingcar parts over the years to members here building their own versions

Mike

Mike,

Do you make the 71 style rear window louvers ?

DAY CLONA

Mike,

Do you make the 71 style rear window louvers ?

You have mail :icon_smile_big: