News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I think we need a "Beware of scammers thread"

Started by ACUDANUT, January 11, 2014, 09:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Don't you hate it when people come on our site, only to make a greedy buck ?  :brickwall:

1974dodgecharger

I would say no and yes.  Yes in the fact if one found a good deal they have a right to sell it at a profit. No to the fact u got guys like hlpag out there scamming at its best.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 11, 2014, 09:55:44 AM
Don't you hate it when people come on our site, only to make a greedy buck ?  :brickwall:

Yes.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 11, 2014, 10:19:24 AM

Yes.

So we as sellers need to sell at a loss? Do I have to disclose how much I put into my charger and then let buyer deduct x amount to make sure I have lost something?

bill440rt

Sounds like more info is needed from the O.P.   :yesnod:
Are you referring to people with low or zero post counts that only post in the classifieds?
Or people that sell at insane high prices?
If the buyer & seller are both satisfied with the price then no harm no foul.
Were you burned by someone specific?

Or, do you feel a heads up thread is needed just to warn others of shoddy sellers?  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: bill440rt on January 11, 2014, 12:37:26 PM
Sounds like more info is needed from the O.P.

Are you referring to people with low or zero post counts that ONLY post in the classifieds?

This is what I was assuming he meant. :Twocents:

polywideblock

but if someone with a zero post count finds something that would be of use to us(for example a barn find hemi  :icon_smile_big:) shouldn't they come on here and sell to someone that going to appreciate it ?
would rather be looking on here for parts etc. than ebay/craigslist etc.    :Twocents: :shruggy:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

1974dodgecharger

I'm lost now whats the criteria to sell lol....

A383Wing

I belong to a number of Mopar forums....there are guys over there (anfd here) that contribute nothing to the forum and are there just to sell parts....

and lately there have been a few "issues" with those particular members....not all, but a few. Like not shipping parts that were paid for in a timely manner, not keeping in touch with buyers via PM or emails, not packing parts effectively to stop damage in shipping, parts not as "described" in for sale ads.....

it's getting worse & worse every month

I would think a "buyer beware" list might not be a bad idea...kinda like just a list and what issue was...that's all

Sublime/Sixpack

If they're on here only to make a buck and not contribute to helping others, then yes!
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

polywideblock

Quote from: A383Wing on January 11, 2014, 04:04:06 PM
I belong to a number of Mopar forums....there are guys over there (anfd here) that contribute nothing to the forum and are there just to sell parts....

and lately there have been a few "issues" with those particular members....not all, but a few. Like not shipping parts that were paid for in a timely manner, not keeping in touch with buyers via PM or emails, not packing parts effectively to stop damage in shipping, parts not as "described" in for sale ads.....

it's getting worse & worse every month

I would think a "buyer beware" list might not be a bad idea...kinda like just a list and what issue was...that's all

:iagree: a name and shame list of shoddy dealers/sellers   would be a good idea

JB400

It might seem like a good idea, but I think it'd also cause this place to get ugly in a hurry.

Sorry, but I'm a firm believer in buyer beware.  I don't spend any more money than what I'm willing to lose.  Honestly, I waited a year to get to know everyone before I started buying.

kokxville

1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

dyslexic teddybear

Think it's a good idea......but the definition of "scammer" needs to be clear.

If the part/service is accurately described.....then it's between buyer and seller. Not a scam.

If something is misrepresented.....scam and everybody needs to know.

tallhair

I was just getting ready to advertise some parts I'm trying to clear out to raise some $$ for my Coronet R/T but not sure if today is a good day to do that LOL.  

I'm not active here but read a lot of you guys tech and resto threads, which are top notch by the way.  I really like those two silver chargers with Red interior btw and many others.  I'm active on FBBO but not so much here.  But I still check in and do research and have linked over there to some of the tech threads here.
68 Coronet R/T Conv
70 Road Runner A/G, 4 gear, A31
99 Durango 4 X 4

Troy

I think some people just get mad when someone else makes money. What has become of this country?

Post count is a poor indicator of trustworthiness. It's also not very good at defining "active" members.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

Quote from: Troy on January 12, 2014, 12:28:01 PM
I think some people just get mad when someone else makes money. What has become of this country?

Post count is a poor indicator of trustworthiness. It's also not very good at defining "active" members.

Troy

HOLY SH*T!!!!
THERE IT IS FOLKS....THE F'N TRUTH. Troy, preach on it brutha, stand in it like a rock. 'We' ain't the stupid idiot police here.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

I know when I sell a car I try to sell it at a loss but no one made a thread for me giving me prop?  I might be selling my 68 after I dumped 15k into and yet no applause like lady gaga sa8ds.

Cooter

Again, we ain't the stupid idiot police. Whether for good or bad.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

AKcharger

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Cooter on January 12, 2014, 01:16:34 PM
Again, we ain't the stupid idiot police. Whether for good or bad.

but im trying to give away my charger for 'FREE' and no one wants it..... :icon_smile_big:

Lord Warlock

Having a scammer thread is fine, but scammers usually will do all sorts of things regarding setting up multiple accounts to get around posting rules, and it only takes one major scam to make some serious money for those that will scam others.  On one of the other forums i'm on and I was the classified moderator for about 10 years before i got tired of it, we had a buyer/seller ratings thread where users could post experiences with anyone selling parts. It allowed people to post experiences with certain sellers, such as certain sellers that were fast to sell, but slow to respond after the sale, or not ship within a timely manner, it was helpful to anyone researching sellers.  It did have its issues, such as people posting positive experiences with sellers  and finding out later the scammer would get others to post positives, or use alternate accts to give positive ratings.  It tended to mean extra work for the moderation staff, but it also did do a good job saving users from buying from questionable sellers.   The Mods tended to expect a seller to ship with tracking info within 30 days or we'd cut sellers off from repeat sales, I also would have preferred to limit sales from newer members to small sales, no group sales etc, anything where they could collect a large sum within a short amount of time.  We did verify all sellers had a valid address (non business) and phone number (pain to keep up with) but with the large number of  younger owners the scam count kept going up.  Even long term (oldtimers) with years on the board would sometimes try a big group buy and end up scamming 15 to 20 people at a time.  I learned to distrust new people or younger owners selling stuff online.  Just seemed people over the age of 35 didn't rip off folks very often, and anyone under 25 was a high risk.
I still buy stuff from people on car forums, and have never been ripped off, but I also don't make large dollar purchases from individuals, I'll pay extra from established businesses instead.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Old Moparz

Yes, the greedy bastards who sign up to this forum only to sell over priced cars or parts must stop. Someone on here must have a contact at the NSA & be able to cash in on a favor. Have them send Troy the profiles of those on the list of evil doers as far as greedy cars & parts vendors go & the DC.com lynch mob can take it from there. Set a maximum percentage of what profit someone is allowed, if at all, then have a moderator scan the ads as they appear & enforce the profit allowance.

Since the members here are spread out all over the world, physical inspections of every item up for sale should be mandatory. This will insure potential buyers that the car or part is indeed worth the price. The profit should be on a sliding scale. Some of the poorer members looking for a $150 car will only have to pay $125. The seller must certainly be able to eat that $25 difference since he is a seller. (Shipping fees should be waived, too.) The wealthier members, like the ones who can afford to buy a car for $45,000 & then put another $75,000 into it must pay the full asking price, no haggling allowed.

To ensure that a poor member is poor & not a wealthy member, last years tax return & a drug test that passes must be submitted to the site. It would be a good way to make sure that everyone gets their money's worth.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ghoste

polywideblock

stripedelete

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 13, 2014, 07:59:26 AM
Yes, the greedy bastards who sign up to this forum only to sell over priced cars or parts must stop. Someone on here must have a contact at the NSA & be able to cash in on a favor. Have them send Troy the profiles of those on the list of evil doers as far as greedy cars & parts vendors go & the DC.com lynch mob can take it from there. Set a maximum percentage of what profit someone is allowed, if at all, then have a moderator scan the ads as they appear & enforce the profit allowance.

Since the members here are spread out all over the world, physical inspections of every item up for sale should be mandatory. This will insure potential buyers that the car or part is indeed worth the price. The profit should be on a sliding scale. Some of the poorer members looking for a $150 car will only have to pay $125. The seller must certainly be able to eat that $25 difference since he is a seller. (Shipping fees should be waived, too.) The wealthier members, like the ones who can afford to buy a car for $45,000 & then put another $75,000 into it must pay the full asking price, no haggling allowed.

To ensure that a poor member is poor & not a wealthy member, last years tax return & a drug test that passes must be submitted to the site. It would be a good way to make sure that everyone gets their money's worth.

...........  , and to each according his need. 

Ghoste

Our cabin fever threads don't normally begin for a couple of more weeks.

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Baldwinvette77

Im starting to think "old age" is starting to get the better of some of you guys  :rofl:

1974dodgecharger

just a heads up I heard this guys '1974dodgecharger' is a scammer...he is scamming things to give away for free BEE CAREFUL!

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 13, 2014, 09:56:44 PM
just a heads up I heard this guys '1974dodgecharger' is a scammer...he is scamming things to give away for free BEE CAREFUL!

THAT MOTHERF**KER!!  :2guns:

Cooter

Nothing's for free.  Nothing.  I still can't believe after its been stated ov we r and over and over and over and over and over, if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.......
And someone still sends money to that oil Shiek's daughter.....