News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

426 hemi

Started by chrisbinks, January 09, 2014, 04:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisbinks

hi guys .    im pretty new to this site .    im in the process for shopping for parts for a 426 hemi 1970 dodge charger.
im hoping to get as much power and torque as possible out of it.  ill be building the whole thing. but i need some ideas as to where to go for performance engine parts etc. obviously i cant find a 426 hemi engine to rebuild so my idea is to buy all the parts :performance block, performance heads etc.

i was hoping you guys may be able to point me in the right direction as to where to go for parts etc.

any recommendations anyone can give would be much appreciated .

also any recommendations on a 727 transmission and where to go for one?

right now im just doing some research of where to go, im also trying to find a charger to rebuild which is proving difficult but im determined to find one as its been my dream car since been a kid.

many thanks in advance for your help

cheers

chris

Ghoste

Welcome to the site.  If you only want components, there are several sources depending on your wallet.  Indy Cylinder Heads make blocks and heads and sell components.  Mopar Performance have them as well so you can get stuff from a speed shop or a Chrysler dealer.

Troy

Call "For Hemis Only" and buy one of their complete, dyno'd engines with a warranty. Call John Cope at "Cope Racing Transmissions" for the 727. Look Ma! No greasy hands or busted knuckles!
http://www.forhemisonly.com/
http://coperacingtrans.com/

Arruzza High Performance is another Hemi builder/supplier with a good reputation.
http://www.arruzzahighperformance.com/

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

chrisbinks

thanks guys thats much apprieciated ill check them out .     

and troy i love the greasy hands and busted nuckles its all part of the fun haha

thanks though guys

68X426

Great investment - buy THE book on Hemi.  Rich Nedbal's book on Hemi engines is a fundamental necessity.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Max-Performance-Hemi-Engines-Design/dp/1932494952/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/185-7425360-9666445

He names names in his book, makes recommendations on parts, and knows Hemi like no one else.  He's the man for race Hemis and street Hemis.  He just doesn't build the motors anymore in semi-retirement (sold his engine shop).

Thumbs up for FHO and Arruzza. Thumbs up on INDY heads only, but run away from that POS outfit due to their bad service and bad word.

Trans: connect with the 727 pro Rick Allison at A & A Transmissions, Camby, Indiana. Lousy website, so call 317-831-3066.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Mike DC

A bit of advice:

426 Hemis are legendary, no doubt.  But you should realize that you're paying A LOT for the name of that engine.  You could buy a 1970 Charger in medium drivable condition for what that 426 engine/drivetrain will cost by itself. 

Troy

Just to clarify... Top Fuel teams got about 4,000+ horsepower out of theirs. I'm assuming you want as much power as possible for the street? Does it need to look anything like stock? Fit under the hood?

If you want to build it yourself and want a max effort engine then don't even bother with used parts (although most of us go that route specifically to save money). I spent a couple years buying one piece by piece and, if I had to do it all over, I'd just write a check to a single vendor (either for a big box of parts or a complete engine). Nothing like having a big pile of expensive metal that doesn't work with anything else in the pile!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

9500 hp, 2 1/2" fuel line, and burns between 5-8 gallons of fuel per 1/4 mile pass in Top Fuel.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

War wagon

Quote from: Cooter on January 09, 2014, 07:13:05 PM
9500 hp, 2 1/2" fuel line, and burns between 5-8 gallons of fuel per 1/4 mile pass in Top Fuel.

:lolexplode:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Cooter on January 09, 2014, 07:13:05 PM

Wow, that's most impressive.

chrisbinks

ok i wasnt expecting that much to be honest i was expecting more 900bhp from it.

Ghoste

You're going to want it bigger than 426.

TNT

If you really want a 900 horse hemi, I have a blown  8-72 dual quad hemi available from carburators to TTI Headers.  The engine was build by Larry Shepard, run and broken in on an engine stand, but I have never gotten around to installing it in the car and at this stage of life its unlikely to happen.  I even have a powerglide transmission built for such a motor.   

chrisbinks

Haha sounds awsome but ideally im after building it myself. Thanks for the offer bud.

1974dodgecharger

I need a payment plan....