News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rallye charger

Started by 71 aafc, January 08, 2014, 12:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 aafc

I'm  posting for a friend she picked up a '72 Rallye  Charger awhile back .The person had mentioned to her that the car needed a dog bone .I'm pretty certain that it had something to do with the transmission or shifter . It is a factory 4 spd car with a 440 .I never heard of  a dog bone in reference to a charger does anyone have a clue what this guy was talking about

ACUDANUT

1st gear dog leg maybe ? Any pictures of the Rallye and what she paid ?...Not too many women are into these cars (so it seems).

JB400

Maybe talking about a limited slip differential? :shruggy: 

ACUDANUT

71_Charger_R/T

I'm guessing that if they're talking about a "dog bone" in reference to the shifter, it's the mounting bracket that goes from the tail shaft to the shifter mechanism.
Like this............

RallyeMike

On a 3rd gen, the shifter mounts to the forward pad of the tailshaft like an E-body. That bracket is not used.

I've never heard of a "dogbone"before. Maybe you could ask for a clarification? Maybe the dogleg shifter rod?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

71_Charger_R/T

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 08, 2014, 06:24:16 PM
On a 3rd gen, the shifter mounts to the forward pad of the tailshaft like an E-body. That bracket is not used.

I've never heard of a "dogbone"before. Maybe you could ask for a clarification?

With bucket seats, yes,  I believe you are correct.(except, i think it's the rear mount pad) But if the car is a bench seat car, I think the "dog bone" is needed to place the shifter in the proper location.

BROCK

Shifters are in different locations bench vs buckets - sure enough. 

Any pics of the car? :drool5: :popcrn:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

RallyeMike

QuoteWith bucket seats, yes,  I believe you are correct.(except, i think it's the rear mount pad) But if the car is a bench seat car, I think the "dog bone" is needed to place the shifter in the proper location.

:brickwall: Yes rear pad. Thanks.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on January 08, 2014, 06:02:50 PM
I'm guessing that if they're talking about a "dog bone" in reference to the shifter, it's the mounting bracket that goes from the tail shaft to the shifter mechanism.
Like this............

Any pic's of this installed on a car ?  never seen one before.

71_Charger_R/T

Sorry, Nothing in the car but I came up with these that might give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The forward mounting pad is too far forward, and the rear mounting pad puts the pistol grip back between the bucket seats a little. This bracket mounted to the forward pad gets the shifter about mid-way back between the two points which is just forward of the bench seat.

Hope this helps.

ACUDANUT

71 aafc

Thanks again .I forwarded the pics to my friend . Big help

Chargerguy74

Yeah, the bench seat 4 speed will use the front pad.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

myk

Have your friend join up and start posting here; it'd be more efficient and productive that way...