News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

voltage limiter

Started by el dub, January 06, 2014, 04:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el dub

Does anyone know where the voltage limiter is located?
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ghoste

It's a rectangular sort of canister screwed to the back of your instrument cluster with a couple of terminals on it.

A383Wing

all depends on what car you are asking about...

66-67 Charger & 67-69 Barracuda's are built into the fuel gauge

68-70 Chargers use a 3-tab limiter that just pushes into the dash cluster

70-74 E-body's use a 2 tab limiter that is attached to the back of the cluster with one screw

Mopar used only these styles back in the day

Ghoste

Bryan, on the three tab ones, are two tabs connectors and the other is peened to the exterior of the can?

el dub

Well I've got a 68. Reason for asking was my oil pressure gauge was not working when I fired it up this morning. So I searched the forum and it led me to the limiter. Or the sender. But my sender, at the back of the motor, has a disappearing wire. It comes off the sender as a gray wire, goes into a bundle coming across the top of the valve cover, and disappears. Or I should say I can't find it yet. So... Where it supposed to go. I should say everthing used to work. I sent my gauge cluster out to be redone in 04 and just put it back a week ago and wired it up.

Ghoste

If it was the limiter you'd have failure in all the guages.

cudaken

El, it goes into the main engine harness. First thing I would do is make sure you have a tight fit on the sending unit.

Cuda Ken
I am back

A383Wing

Quote from: Ghoste on January 06, 2014, 05:33:22 PM
Bryan, on the three tab ones, are two tabs connectors and the other is peened to the exterior of the can?

yes, the 3rd connector is basically the ground for the case of limiter....it's connected to the exterior of "can"

now from reading his other posts...sounds like he's not asking about the "gauge limiter" but the oil gauge sender?

JamieZ

The gauges are held to the printed circuit board with some nuts, these also provide the electrical connection.  In the case of my car, one of the nuts had backed off somewhere in it's life and the gauge became non functional.  Tightening the nut back up, fixed the problem.   
Another issue is the printed circuit board uses a 4 pin connector...but it appears to have been press fit, instead of soldered so those pins often work loose as well.

You really won't find a better thread on cluster restoration than this one:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37999.0.html

el dub

Thanks guys for the replys. One of the gauges, alternator, is working so thanks to Ghoste I now know its not the voltage limiter. Took off the wire loom and as Cuda Ken stated the wire made a u turn and went to the bulkhead connector. Really appreciate the knowledge on this site, it's great. Hope you all don't think I'm a pest cause I feel like one with all the questions I have been asking about. lw

A383Wing

the alternator gauge does not run off the limiter, only the oil, water, & fuel gauge do

polywideblock

Quote from: A383Wing on January 06, 2014, 05:24:33 PM

70-74 E-body's use a 2 tab limiter that is attached to the back of the cluster with one screw

left out again   :'(  so which does the 3rd gen 71 -74 chargers have ?

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Ghoste

Sorry el dub, I should have been clearer in my answer but from your reply can we now assume the ammeter is the only guage you do have functioning?

el dub

I didn't really let it run long enough, only a minute. Was checking for smoke in case I hooked up something wrong. Plus I put a new fuel sending unit in and from reading on here it may not read right. Plus I probably only had a gallon or two at the most in the tank. And tomorrow I'm taking it to have the headliner redone. Another 175 dollars in the car. After that is done taking it next door to have the front and back windows installed. So maybe in 3 days I will get it back and let it run longer. lw

A383Wing

Quote from: polywideblock on January 06, 2014, 09:24:46 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on January 06, 2014, 05:24:33 PM

left out again   :'(  so which does the 3rd gen 71 -74 chargers have ?

I don't know..I never have has one or seen the back of the instrument cluster to tell you, which is why I didn't list it.....sorry...I didn't wanna sound like more of an idiot than I already am

Dino

The grey wire runs from the oil sending unit to the middle bulkhead connector.  Top row, second from the right.

If you have not done so, please consider buying the solid state voltage regulator.  You can build your own but you have to know what you're doing.  This little gizmo will never let more than 5V through.  You want the IVR4  http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php/RTE_limiter

My stock limiter went out a few years ago on my freshly rebuilt gauges and fried all three of them.  Don't let that happen to you.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Pete in NH

HI,

You could go down to Radio Shack and ask them for a 10 ohm 2 watt resistor. Disconnect the gray wire from the oil pressure sender and put it on one end of the resistor and connect the other end of the resistor to the engine block. If you turn the ignition key to the run position the oil gauge should go to full scale. If it does then the sender is likely bad. If it doesn't go to full scale it's the voltage limiter or something in the wiring. You can use this 10 ohm resistor to also check the temperature and fuel gauges. All Mopar gauges of this time period should read full scale when connected to ground through a 10 ohm resistor.

el dub

Thanks Dino and Pete, sounds like good advice. lw