News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing upper door trim without screwing it up

Started by bull, January 07, 2014, 03:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

In celebration of a long history of the 68 kicking my a$$ I screwed up the upper door trim trying to install it the other day. Of course this is after I had them professionally straightened and polished. :2thumbs: Everything went well until Igot  to the front two clips by the wing windows where I discovered it did not want to go in the mounting holes. I pushed a little harder, and then a little harder yet, and low and behold there's suddenly a little mound in the stainless above the clip. Tried the other side too and though I didn't screw it up as bad there's still a bit of a dimple there now.

So what's the trick? I did not expect this to be a problem at all, and yet it is.

bill440rt

You have a photo of this, Curtis?  :scope:
This dilemma is new to me.   :popcrn:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

fy469rtse

I know how your feel bull,
The same issue with mine, I think it's the built up of paint,
Factory never put as much on as we do when restoring these cars
one side will have to come back off later to have the same fixed,
Try flexing the clip with a pair pliers and bit of grease to held it slip and compress through hole, yes #%€% ing fragile

jaak

IDK, didn't have any trouble when I installed mine? IIRC, I think the clips are different sizes ( they get narrower toward the front of the door. Could that have caused your problem if they were in the wrong order? I wouldn't think so, but you can never tell when working on cars. Could be as mentioned earlier, paint build up around the mounting holes could have prevented the clips from popping in easily.

Jason

tan top

Quote from: fy469rtse on January 07, 2014, 04:48:40 PM
I know how your feel bull,
The same issue with mine, I think it's the built up of paint,
Factory never put as much on as we do when restoring these cars
one side will have to come back off later to have the same fixed,
Try flexing the clip with a pair pliers and bit of grease to held it slip and compress through hole, yes #%€% ing fragile
:2thumbs:
yep , what I did , flex the clip a few times & grease the hole  :P !  ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bull

Yeah, I thought of paint buildup but too often I ignore my instincts. When I put my antenna base in I had to file a ton of paint off to get it to fit. I knew about the different size clips and had them installed right. Guess I just need to hog the holes out here too.

jaak

Quote from: bull on January 07, 2014, 10:32:47 PM
Yeah, I thought of paint buildup but too often I ignore my instincts. When I put my antenna base in I had to file a ton of paint off to get it to fit. I knew about the different size clips and had them installed right. Guess I just need to hog the holes out here too.

I bet that could be it. I didn't have that problem with the trim, but I did have to file excess paint in the openings for the outer door handles and door lock cylinders.

Jason

fy469rtse

Don't feel bad bull, I've done this dozens of times and get  one that's
Like it started to go in and then #%€>#%€£%# you get the picture, clip right next snapped in making it all the more difficult ,

bull

Well, it will give me the opportunity to learn the task of straightening stainless trim. :2thumbs:

fy469rtse

Post photos bull, what you did and process, because you put them in to get done , ends up being expensive, I have to take one a pillar trim of and redo it as well , stubborn clips with vinyl top  last clip grace me grief and I should have walked away and come back when I had more patience

HeavyFuel

I lubricated all clips and holes for trim, door panels, etc. with a bit of gooey clearish vasaline type lube.   Seemed to help the parts glide past each other.

The dimples got me on the sail panel trim.  Repro clips ended up being the too long, had to use the originals.  Have you double checked the  clip length?  

fy469rtse

Should got you over heavy fuel, your thread you made it look easy, I had more trouble with the front window trim than the rear ?

bull

There's one other factor I didn't think about until the 2nd time I put the trim on (attept two was successful after straightening and repolishing). The clips are directional and they have to be pointed outward when you install because there is a lip just inside the holes that the clips will hit if the tips are pointed inward. I assume these lips are part of the the inner door skin.

bill440rt

Ah, Curtis. Now it is clear which trim you are referring to.
YES, you are correct. The clips for the belt moldings are angled, and the points need to be pointed AWAY from the window in order for them to clip in.
A little lube will help, also I like to put a strip of electrical tape on the car to avoid scratching.
The vinyl trim along the quarter panel is even trickier, that trim will dent even easier. I think the clips are closer to the trim on the inside which will cause a dent easier.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HeavyFuel

Quote from: bull on January 11, 2014, 09:14:14 AM
There's one other factor I didn't think about until the 2nd time I put the trim on (attept two was successful after straightening and repolishing). The clips are directional and they have to be pointed outward when you install because there is a lip just inside the holes that the clips will hit if the tips are pointed inward. I assume these lips are part of the the inner door skin.

Yep.  Here's a shot of mine.

bull

:2thumbs: That's what I have too. But a body shop owner I know told me the rear clips on both sides had a threaded screw held on by a nut. :shruggy: Maybe that's a 69 thing.

bill440rt

Nope, it's a '68 - '70 thing.
The rear clips should have a threaded post with a small nut on the bottom. It is a specially shaped acorn-like nut, too.  :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bill440rt on January 17, 2014, 08:05:58 AM
The rear clips should have a threaded post with a small nut on the bottom. It is a specially shaped acorn-like nut, too.  :2thumbs:

Some of the early 68 s had to spring clips at the rear insted of the stud with nut style clip.  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 17, 2014, 12:03:49 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on January 17, 2014, 08:05:58 AM

Some of the early 68 s had to spring clips at the rear insted of the stud with nut style clip.  :Twocents:

Good to know, Brian.  :cheers:
Man, learn something new everyday about these early-'68 nuances.

bull

I'm still not sure if.my car qualifies as being early 68 or not. It might be early and late. ;)

el dub

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

bull

It seems to.be a matter of opinion but there were several features found on the late summer 67-built 68s that were not found on those built late in 67 and early 68. The cutoff date (if there was such a thing) is a mystery.

fy469rtse

Bull
you didnt post photos, before and after with your process of straightening dents and and re polishing of stainless.
my 68  was an early build, had the wire clips in the ends, didnt know at the time that these were probably put in by factory, changed them to threads clips

bull

Quote from: fy469rtse on January 19, 2014, 04:05:44 PM
Bull
you didnt post photos, before and after with your process of straightening dents and and re polishing of stainless.

I didn't take any pics. Was there something about the process you wanted to know more about?