News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Someone in N.Y. State has my broadcast sheet for 69 Charger 500

Started by Highwaystar, January 06, 2014, 02:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

nascarxx29:

I am curious where this info comes from. Is it from the State of NJ records?

Also, I'd like to verify two of them with you.......

XX29L9B21710  is one number short of a full VIN

XX29L9B144173 is correct and not a typo? I have never seen this VIN before.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Highwaystar

I have an original Y4 light Gold metallic picture from the 70's and the repaint of the car in mid to late 80's supposedly of my 500. These pictures were acquired from the previous owner that bought it in 1990. Note: no 500 stripe on both pix, and front NY license plate UJH 266. The search continues for Broadcast sheet XS29L9B146045, It could be XX as well, although this car is one of the few 500's with documented XS on fender tag and Dash Vin as well.
68 GTX Convertible
69.5 Road Runner
69 Charger 500

T.J

69_500

Your sheet will say XS on it. I am 99.99% certain on that. Basing it on all the sheets I have seen.

Highwaystar

Quote from: 69_500 on January 16, 2015, 10:44:15 AM
Your sheet will say XS on it. I am 99.99% certain on that. Basing it on all the sheets I have seen.
Thanks for confirming the XS on the Broadcast sheet. have you by chance checked your Broadcast Data base to see if mine was there. I know that alot of the 500's the Broadcast sheets were mixed up at Custom creations, and owners sometimes will just use others to have some documentation. I would be happy to have a copy of my original.
What's the deal with stripe delete? Did 500's leave custom creations with no stripe, or possibly did someone remove it to be stealthy or create a more sleeper car?
68 GTX Convertible
69.5 Road Runner
69 Charger 500

T.J

Ghoste

No, they left Dodge as RT's (hence the XS on some of them) and in order to be ready for the 500 stripe which was applied at Creative, they were stripe delete at Dodge. (so that Creative wouldn't be hassled with removing the RT stripe)

69_500

I did look for your sheet, but I do not have a copy of it. Nor any great leads as to where it is now. Sorry.

Highwaystar

Quote from: Ghoste on January 16, 2015, 01:50:09 PM
No, they left Dodge as RT's (hence the XS on some of them) and in order to be ready for the 500 stripe which was applied at Creative, they were stripe delete at Dodge. (so that Creative wouldn't be hassled with removing the RT stripe)

Was there many or any 500's without the 500 stripe?
68 GTX Convertible
69.5 Road Runner
69 Charger 500

T.J

Ghoste

I'm not personally aware of any without the 500 stripe but they are all coded for stripe delete to make sure the RT one isn't there.

69_500

I have not seen any period photos that show a 500 without a stripe. I do have photos of several that were missing their stripes by the time the 80's rolled around though. None that I can document as being without a stripe from day one.

Highwaystar

Quote from: 69_500 on January 17, 2015, 08:09:27 AM
I have not seen any period photos that show a 500 without a stripe. I do have photos of several that were missing their stripes by the time the 80's rolled around though. None that I can document as being without a stripe from day one.
Ok. Thanks.
As you see in the early picture it shows no stripe, the Y4 gold. That picture I would say is early 70's. I know my car is very early production both sequence and with the XS badging on VIN and fendertag as very little I am aware of are like that. How would you know what car Custom Creations worked on first? I am sure they were sent over in lots. The very sloppy job around the front air deflectors, (worse than most) and possible stripe delete all leads me to believe this could have been one of the first cars worked on. Any way to find out? How many 500's you have on record with XS on dash VIN and Fendertag?
Thanks,
T.J
68 GTX Convertible
69.5 Road Runner
69 Charger 500

T.J

69_500

7 with XS on dash. None are in the same batch or group. The first 35 cars I have, as in lowest VINs are all Hemi cars and none of them are XS on the dash. All fender tags of 500's built before November 14, 1968 say XS, even though dash says XX. All broadcast sheets before November 20, 1968 say XS. That I have seen.

69_500

Just a guess but to me I would guess the picture you posted of the car still wearing the Y4 gold paint, would be very late 70's to early 80's. Most pictures I have seen from early 70's were smaller 2x3 pictures or rounded corners.

Ghoste

And the first one worked on by Creative still wears its stripe as do the ones (that we know of) that immediately proceeded it.  The prototype one built from a 68 also has a 500 stripe.  Your VIN is a couple dozen (approximately) from the first one (and remember the 500 VINs were assigned in batches so there is some timeline to them) and a week or so later in scheduled build date.  So yes, yours is a very early build but its also several cars and days in.  The potential that they ran into some issue and therefore didn't put the 500 stripe on yours exists but its very very unlikely.  Could it have had some executive order that stated it should be shipped with no 500 stripe?  Well that isn't outside the realm of possibility but it would be a special instruction on the broadcast sheet you're searching.  I would be extremely surprised if yours was sent without the 500 stripe on it.

Highwaystar

"Your VIN is a couple dozen (approximately) from the first one (and remember the 500 VINs were assigned in batches so there is some timeline to them) and a week or so later in scheduled build date.  So yes, yours is a very early build but its also several cars and days in."

Is there anyway to tell how many were assigned in batches? Is the build date when it was actually released from Custom Creations, or when it was finished? If I ever find my Broadcast sheet will it give any further clarity to the above questions, other than the possible order with a 500 stripe delete. Will my fender tag give me any information? I know VIN numbers are sequenced, but they are also sequenced numbers from when the car was finished at Chrysler, not Custom Creations. Is that correct? Oh to be a "Fly on the wall" back then with a paper and pencil would have been cool.
Would it be possible to send me the other cars with the XS on the dash VIN info, or is it up on the Registry?  Highwaystar2@ymail.com
Thanks again,
T.J.
68 GTX Convertible
69.5 Road Runner
69 Charger 500

T.J

Ghoste

No way to tell how many were in each batch until we have all of the numbers.  The build date is when it was scheduled to go down the line at Chrysler.  Your build sheet won't give you any other detail on those two questions.  It was really meant to be a parts list for the guys on the line at Chrysler.  Which is why my speculation about your 500 being a "500" stripe delete and having a handwritten note on a broadcast sheet is just that- speculation.  There really isn't any reason for it to be on the broadcast sheet as it wasn't meant to be seen outside of Dodge, there is no reason to add a note there about deleting the 500 stripe.  I just couldn't think of any other way to get an irregular instruction out there.
Your fender tag won't answer any more than that either.  It will have the scheduled build date on there and it will be coded to delete the RT stripe  (and of course the code to be a 500) but again, its primarily just information for inside the Chrysler assembly plant.
Galens secret mystery list (if it exists) may fill in a lot of blanks but I fear that information may never be shared until he passes.