News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question on this 472 Crate Hemi,scam or no scam?

Started by kokxville, January 05, 2014, 08:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kokxville

I was looking around the internet and came across this link:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Mopar-Performance-472-Hemi-Crate-Motor_127482534.html

Now this guy is located in Ukraine europe and i contact him for the pricing on this motor.I'm located in the Netherlands,so shipping is on the Mainland.

This is what he replied:

Hi,

Price is $8500.

Shipping cost $200

Best regards

This sounds almost to good to be true,but something in my mind says what if.... :shruggy:

So,do you guys think he's for real,or is it a scam?
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Mikesmoparperformance

MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

Challenger340

IMO,
You don't want it anyway, nor the 426 Crate Version... NONE of them !
Last few of those things we Dyno'd, the 472 struggled to get to 460hp, and burned OIL !
The 426 Version pooped a whopping 418hp, and burned even more Oil !
and yet another...
would heat it's Oil temp past 240*F on a "sickly" Pull, with the Oil Pressure needle PINNED at idle even with thin OIL !

I been getting PAID to dis-assemble and "FIX" the 426 Versions for years !
They are advertised at 9.2:1 Compression I think ?  More like "8.2:1" with the Wiseco Forged Slug.... substantial Block and Head Milling just to get them to 9:0:1
The Blocks are NOT Honed with a Torque Plate, which one is Bolted on distorts the Cylinders .002-.0025".... How the Fawk do they expect THAT to Seal ?
The V/Guides are CRAP OOTB, and the Seats even WORSE !
And as far as internal clearances... pretty much whatever was there in the parts that the monkey screwed it together... THAT is what you get !
I've seen Rod Bearings with less than .001" Vertical clearance... and mains @.0045"... just TERRIBLE stuff !

IMO,
Mopar Crate Engines = POO !
What they are... is a GREAT building Block/Parts Bin for the money. You get a Block, a Crank & Rods that can be worked with... same goes for the Heads. The makings of a Good Engine to start with, that can be reworked. We regularily get even the 426 versions to 500hp with a smaller cam at 9.0:1
That said...
I HIGHLY RECCOMEND that if you buy one.... take it straight to a Dyno Shop and get it checked BEFORE installing it in your Car.
You might get a "good" one ? who knows ?
One thing is for sure... NO RECOURSE with Mopar... unless it was tested FIRST by a reputable Shop !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

1974dodgecharger

So your saying they all need blowers to get that compression up....

tan top

no offence to any Ukrainaian mopar guys out there  , but  would say that's a scam  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Challenger340

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 05, 2014, 10:00:00 AM
No,
I am saying the Crate Motors are great value for money as a "Building Block" of parts, to then dis-assemble immediately, and check/correct into a decent Engine.
and further,
that IMO, anybody buys one intending to just drop it in "as is" from Mopar, is well advised at the very least.... before they do..... to have it Dyno'd somewhere reputable FIRST, to protect any potential recourse they wish to persue with Mopar if it's a DUD.... which in my experience MANY are !

From what I have seen of the internal Machining quality... putting a Blower on one to raise Compression... even one that actually runs OK from Mopar(rare), would be a recipe for "Exit Stage Bottom" of many otherwise good parts.

six-tee-nine

Come on kox, you of all should know that even a used POS hemi in running condition bring in the 12 up to 14k $ over here.

If I would be in the market for something similar and cant find one in lets say Belgium/TheNetherlands or Germany maybe even in Sweden then I would buy it in the US and see the extra cost for shipping and import taxes as an insurance....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

six-tee-nine

Oh and the Ukraine aint even European Union so you need to pay import tax just like all the stuff you buy in the US
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

cudaken

Is the seller name Peggy?  :scratchchin:

What tells me it is a scam is the $200.00 shipping fee! I sent a medium sizes box to Germany and it cost $30.00.

Someone is trolling for suckers.  :slap:

Cuda Ken 
I am back

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 05, 2014, 10:31:35 AM
No,
I am saying the Crate Motors are great value for money as a "Building Block" of parts, to then dis-assemble immediately, and check/correct into a decent Engine.
and further,
that IMO, anybody buys one intending to just drop it in "as is" from Mopar, is well advised at the very least.... before they do..... to have it Dyno'd somewhere reputable FIRST, to protect any potential recourse they wish to persue with Mopar if it's a DUD.... which in my experience MANY are !

From what I have seen of the internal Machining quality... putting a Blower on one to raise Compression... even one that actually runs OK from Mopar(rare), would be a recipe for "Exit Stage Bottom" of many otherwise good parts.

Now, I've been told that the mopar crate hemi program was  supposed to be much better now. With the engines being built by Stanton Racing and Ray Barton. Are the ones you had to redo the earlier Cummins reman stuff or more recent offerings? I bought a 472 late 2013 and planned that it would need to come apart anD Be redone. I have been told since then that its a Stanton build and that they are good to go. Now I'm hearing this again and I'm getting worried again.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mhinders

I would be very careful dealing with this...  :scratchchin:

The Alibaba website is hosting a lot of strange companies...a Chinese company took my money and never sent anything.

Never use Western Union, MoneyGram or direct bank transfer for advance payment...when your money is withdrawn there is no way getting them back...
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Challenger340

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on January 06, 2014, 07:03:05 PM
Quote from: Challenger340 on January 05, 2014, 10:31:35 AM
No,
and further,

Now, I've been told that the mopar crate hemi program was  supposed to be much better now. With the engines being built by Stanton Racing and Ray Barton. Are the ones you had to redo the earlier Cummins reman stuff or more recent offerings? I bought a 472 late 2013 and planned that it would need to come apart anD Be redone. I have been told since then that its a Stanton build and that they are good to go. Now I'm hearing this again and I'm getting worried again.

Last one was spring of last year(2013), unknown... but purchased sometime in 2012, in & out of the Car twice attempting quick fixes, everything from rebuilding the Heads, to Timing Chain & Cam Re-degree, Intake & Carbs, rear main.... When it was in the Car, it burned Oil constantly, and still had about as much power as a schoolbus.
Then finally out for complete teardown and re-machining / re-assembly here. Dyno'd before it left at right around 500hp(426 version) with a smaller Cam.

Best advice
take yours somewhere reputable, and have it tested prior to putting it in your Car.
Cheapest Money you will ever spend at this point in your process ?? to know for sure ??, not to mention any recourse with Mopar, "whatsoever" for warranty ??
And it would be nice to definitively quash the rumors of poor quality with the Mopar Crate HEMI's once and for ever !
Which incidently.... just where, or "who" do you call if there is a problem ? Were you told Stanton ? Barton ?

I wish you nothing but the best of luck with yours, I mean that. Yours may be just fine, who knows ??
Certainly no mileage for me typing this here... I care not, after all it is your engine, just me personally after seeing what I've seen, I wouldn't trust one farther than I could pick it up and heave it... from ANYWHERE !

472 R/T SE

Supposedly there's batches of part #s' that are junk motors.

When I was kicking around selling my car, the dude buying it ran my part # & the motor checked out.   He said he got the # list from Mopar of all people.

We put my MP 472 in back in '06.  It doesn't blow smoke but burns just a little oil.  It's strong, especially top end.  When the day comes to restore my purple car I'll most likely have it opened up.