News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Inner lip rear wheel scrape..

Started by 1974dodgecharger, January 04, 2014, 10:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

So after roughly 2k plus miles on the charger I took the wheels out and decided to put 1.5inch raising blocks in the rear.  This is what I have come across where im hitting the scrape and bump.  Its not too bad from what I can see and the tires are decent looking no rounding out or anything of the sort. 

Is there way to pound that piece of metal back or suggest?  Someone told me to file it back?

With the raising block it actually didnt raise anything, but made my ride firmer!!!  Now its a light tap over the same bumps on the road I go over just a tap not scrape like.

WHITE AND RED 69

That's not too bad. If it took 2,000 miles to do that just keep running it. Just take it easy on the big bumps. If you hit it with a hammer there is a chance to cause damage to the outside of the quarter or crack the paint. Filing it down will just make the metal weaker and could possibly split which could pop the tire.   

I'd keep running it as is and when it comes time for new tires go down one series. Your running a 295/45 right? In a few years go to a 285/40 or 285/45. That should give a bit more clearance.   :Twocents:

:cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

1974dodgecharger

I put 1.5inch blocks on it now it didnt raise it, but stiffneed the suspenson like I said now its just a 'ting' sound over the bumpers.

This only happens overall when im driving and I hit a bump in the road, but does not happen normally if Im scooting along so no speed bumps it does not hit it.

JB400

Looks like it's on the outer wheel well.  I'd put some primer on it, use a hammer and a wood block to tap it back into place, and seal with either caulking or undercoating.  It shouldn't bother the quarter if your patient and easy enough.

1974dodgecharger

STROKER,
good idea about the block!!!  I was gonna hammer it, but then Paul G said it will create sharp edges and then shed that tire lol.

garner7555

Maybe I'm thinking wrong or misunderstood, but adding blocks to the rear on these cars lowers them due to the axle being on top of the leaf springs.  :shruggy:   Did you put a smaller block than what you originally had in there to raise it?
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

tan top

not sure if this is any help to you !   because I wanted  deepest dish look wheels &  widest tires  at all four corners  , was worried about running a 15 x 8 with a 4 inch back space & a 255 x 60 tire in the rear for that very problem , wernt  hitting but was close on mine at full spring compression , & me over thinking things as I normaly do  :image_294343: ,  changed the rear bump stops for the dana  type  which are maybe 3/4 of a inch taller , just incase type thing.
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: garner7555 on January 05, 2014, 06:55:52 AM
Maybe I'm thinking wrong or misunderstood, but adding blocks to the rear on these cars lowers them due to the axle being on top of the leaf springs.  :shruggy:   Did you put a smaller block than what you originally had in there to raise it?

if you put the block between the leaf spring and axle it will lower it, but if you put the block below the leaf spring it will raise it, but now that I understand you can only raise it so high based on the arch of the leaf spring and shock travel.  Im near max height of shock travel, but still doabl, which means I still need to push 1inch in of shock to get the top mount shock in with the bolt, before I had push like 2inchs or more since I dont dont unbolt the bottom shock when messing around the rear end, but remove the top shock.

Paul G

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 05, 2014, 07:18:17 AM

if you put the block between the leaf spring and axle it will lower it, but if you put the block below the leaf spring it will raise it, but now that I understand you can only raise it so high based on the arch of the leaf spring and shock travel.  Im near max height of shock travel, but still doabl, which means I still need to push 1inch in of shock to get the top mount shock in with the bolt, before I had push like 2inchs or more since I dont dont unbolt the bottom shock when messing around the rear end, but remove the top shock.

Putting a lowering block between the leaf spring and the axle will lower the car. You can not raise the car when the axle is above the spring like ours are, with a block. Not possible.

If you put that block below the spring, it would have to be between the spring and the plate the shock lower end mounts to. Is that where you have it? Doing that will not change the height of the car, but it will make the shock extend out further. Could be the "ting" you are hearing on bumps, the shock fully extending and hitting it's internal end of travel. That is not good. It will break. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Paul G on January 07, 2014, 06:17:59 PM
If you put that block below the spring, it would have to be between the spring and the plate the shock lower end mounts to. Is that where you have it? Doing that will not change the height of the car, but it will make the shock extend out further. Could be the "ting" you are hearing on bumps, the shock fully extending and hitting it's internal end of travel. That is not good. It will break. 

:iagree:  Well said Paul G. The Hotchkis shocks are specifically valved for the lowered suspension(Unless you got the stock height ones?). That extra travel could be putting the shocks in a bind. That would explain why the ride is firmer now. I'd get rid of the blocks before any damage is done.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

1974dodgecharger

Time to get rid of the blocks lol....oh boy always wrenching and driving.  Another 200 mile weekend here she comes with oil change.

Im gonna look for some 35 series instead of 45.

Highbanked Hauler

coil over shocks work ? sounds like you only need a couple hundred pounds of lift :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on January 09, 2014, 05:36:42 PM
coil over shocks work ? sounds like you only need a couple hundred pounds of lift :shruggy:

Too much mods? I'm just gonna go to a thinner profile setup and remove the blocks.