News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 throttle linkage seal replace, do I need to pull it?

Started by carsnguitars, December 27, 2013, 05:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carsnguitars

So starting getting small drops of transmission fluid and traced the leak back the where the throttle linkage connects and the shaft into the tranny.
Looks like a rubber seal causing the problem.
So can this be done with tranny in or do I need to drop it down and out?
It is tight, very tight but looks somewhat doable.
Anyone with exp know?

Update:
Spent the night pulling the tranny out....looks like pressed in seal that have to get from both sides..means taking some of the guts out...Off to tranny shop...
somethings you just gotta pay to have done ughh

Pete in NH

Hi,

I did mine many years ago in the car by dropping the pan and then the valve body. No need to remove the entire transmission. The valve body drops out as an assembly. The throttle shaft had a small groove in it from dirt and grit that got in there and chewed up the seal. I had a small river of transmission fluid flowing out from under the car. I polished up the throttle shaft and put in the new seal. Its been fine ever since and that's almost 30 years ago.

carsnguitars

Thanks Pete it is  out, now order new seal

trannnies make  me nervous to mess with, but it was easy thanks to your insight!
thanks again

A383Wing

I think there are 2 seals in there...one small & one large.....for selector & kickdown

John_Kunkel

Anybody who pulls a trans to replace an external seal must really love to work on cars.   :icon_smile_wink:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

carsnguitars

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 29, 2013, 05:16:37 PM

Anybody who pulls a trans to replace an external seal must really love to work on cars.   :icon_smile_wink:

Haha it is like in the movie a Christmas story where the old man changes the tire!!
I just do it with trannies!!

2Luke2

Just need to drop the filter and valve body and then knock the seal out. There is only one seal around the selector. It can be done in the car, but it would be a tight fit to tap it into place. If you have it out of the car you can probably replace it in a few minutes.

fy469rtse

While you have gone to all that trouble, assuming your like some of us no hoist up on ramps, you are going to do both seals aren't you, you will kick yourself if it turns out to be the other seal