News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2007 dodge ram 1500 club cab hemi with Big Horn trim pkg

Started by twodko, January 04, 2014, 09:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

I'm looking at this truck for possible purchase. Its a 2wd and has 67k miles on it. Any thoughts/opinions/heads-up from the forum posse? What is the Big Horn trim package?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

72Charger-SE

I have a 2006 1500 Club Cab 4x4 (4.7) Big Horn pkg...  It has 20" wheels with chrome trim so the truck sits higher than the non Big Horn edition.  I think there are some other things but that is all I can think of now.

twodko

Have you experienced any problems with the 4.7 mill? Ive read these motors are subject to sludge build up causing over temp conditions unless the oil is changed every 5k miles or less. There also seems to be complaints about the heads cracking if the motor goes over temp.

So far, the only problem with the 2007 hemi trucks are early water pump failures and some tranny issues.

72Charger-SE

No motor issues so far.  I keep the oil changed every 3000 miles.  The only issue I have had is replacing the front struts.  I had to replace both the upper and lower control arms as well as the struts.  About $1000 in parts and I did all the labor.  It was a chore but I LOVE the Truck!!

hatersaurusrex

Why did you have to replace them?  Was there a defect of some sort?
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

War wagon

IIRC the 4.7 is an iron block with aluminum heads. And a stupid long timing chain. Motor has been dropped altogether for the 2014 model year.
My  :Twocents: is buy a 09 or newer truck. Much better trucks. The HEMI received a power increase from 08's 345hp to the 09's 390hp.
The 6 cyl in the 2013-14 is rated the SAME power as that 4.7. 300hp!
You can get great deals on 09-11's ATM IMHO
My 09 CC sport 4x4 had 160,000kms or 100,000 miles when I traded it and it worked like new.
I would steer clear of that motor for another reason here in Canada it's a flex fuel motor meaning you Could run e85 instead of petrol. Just think of the head aches down the road if prior owner chose to use e85 sludge fuel ..... :brickwall:
:Twocents:

ACUDANUT

Old Moparz

If you don't need a 4x4 you'll probably save some money. I had a 2 WD truck & used it mostly for towing & only 2 or 3 times while I owned it could've used 4 WD to get a trailer up an icy, snow covered, hill.  

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 05, 2014, 01:04:28 PM
Save your money and get a Hemi.  Or buy a Ford.  :cheers:

He did say it was a Hemi.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

twodko

Def don't need 4wd in northern PRK. The deal fell through anyway because the buyer of my Tahoe flaked out. Just as well too because the 5.7ltr hemi in the 2007 Rams is not the 375hp Big Nasty hemi Ma Mopar began putting in the 2010 Rams.

If I'm buying a hemi Ram why settle for second best. Looking at 2014's. Buying new doesn't sit well with me due to the "drive off" instant depreciation and having to deal with the canker sore leprosy ridden parasitic butt cream skimming car sales people.

The only upside is a buyer can usually get what they want buying new.

To be continued........

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 05, 2014, 02:55:26 PM
If you don't need a 4x4 you'll probably save some money. I had a 2 WD truck & used it mostly for towing & only 2 or 3 times while I owned it could've used 4 WD to get a trailer up an icy, snow covered, hill.  

true, but then we got onto the 4.7. I also was referring to the  375hp  hemi they came out with in 2010 ?

Old Moparz

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 06, 2014, 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on January 05, 2014, 02:55:26 PM

true, but then we got onto the 4.7. I also was referring to the  375hp  hemi they came out with in 2010 ?

A friend of mine has a 4.7 in a Durango & the MPG is terrible. If I recall he was talking about 10 or so.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

72Charger-SE

QuoteA friend of mine has a 4.7 in a Durango & the MPG is terrible. If I recall he was talking about 10 or so.

I average 14 in town and 17 on the highway.  Not too bad for the 4.7.  I don't tow often however when I do I use the 'tow/haul' button to kill overdrive.  The 4.7 is not a power machine and it does leave a lot to desire when 'passing' compared to the Hemi however it meets my needs for now.  If my needs change I would definitely move to a new Dodge with the Hemi. 

War wagon

Just a heads up guys, the HEMI had 345hp until 2008. In 2009 when the 4th gen came out it had 390hp. The 2013 I currently have is rated at 395hp 407tq
Not sure where that 375hp # came from.
If you want new, don't care for rear doors or 4x4, check out the R/T version :yesnod:

Mine is a 13 QQ HEMI 4x4 sport . With 3:21 gears and 8 spd I AVERAGE 20mpg :cheers: it's a 5700lb truck!
Tows the charger with ease :icon_smile_big:

The 2009 had a 5 spd trans, 2010-2012 had 6 spds, 2013 6spd standard, 8spd optional, 2014 8 spd ONLY

Hope that info helps your search :2thumbs:

twodko

I was shopping vehicles again yesterday. Looking at vehicles that have come up since the last time I searched my tri-county area.

The prospect of my parents-in-law not driving anymore is becoming a primary purchase consideration.
A local family member has and older Nissan pickup they just use for HomeyD and dump runs so I have easy
access to a truck when needed.

I looked at a nice champagne color 2006 Chrysler 300C yesterday priced at $16k+. I'd like a newer 300C if I buy one so the search goes on.

All the 300's around here are either black or white with the occasional silver and much less often other colors.
:shruggy:

FJMG

If your now looking at 300's, I would strongly suggest an SRT8 version, passing is so much more fun!

twodko

Just so happens there's one at a dealer here abouts. Its a 2012 black on black with 6k miles on it listed for $37,800.

The PRK has a $1000 "gas guzzler" tax which is just another reason this car isn't affordable for many. I'm sure it's plush with lots of bling, scary fast and fun to drive but........

Similar to my '69 440, it'll pass just about everything except a gas station and is nowhere near a cool as my R/T.

ACUDANUT

That "gas guzzler" tax is only on New Vehicles.  I don't think they can charge that a 2 year old car.  :shruggy:
That's too much for a used car anyway. :Twocents:

FJMG

Not sure what you drive now but my 06 gets 21-24.5 pretty constantly.  :shruggy:
Course, if you spend every weekend at the dragstrip than YMMV.  :D

The 300 is a VERY nice car.

If you put plenty of miles on than you are absolutely correct on the gasoline cost BUT if you do not put miles on than not a crazy difference. I put 19000 miles on my stock 06 csrt8 in two years and spent $974 more on fuel than my 05 ION over the same amount of miles, $500/yr to have the problem of constantly smiling :D

NOW on the other hand, what is far more expensive than the fuel is the cost of tires! :brickwall:

So yes, the constant state of happiness is expensive!

twodko

Hard Charger

Judge for yourself from my experience with a Ram and Durango.

05 Ram w/hemi, 4X4, oil changed every 6-8k, 262,000 miles. average 14.5 mpg
Service done:  Brakes, 6 sets of tires, EGR (2), Wiper motor (2), Front seal, oil pan, 1-O2 sensor, 2-fan belt, belt tensioner, set of shocks, 1 set of new plugs, 2-Hub bearings,1 battery, 2-tierods (preventive), 2-ball joints (preventive), While I was there a rad hose and a water pump, 1 antifreeze change (all preventive).

05 Durango AWD w/hemi, oil changed every 5-6k, 143,000 miles. average 11 mpg (Crazy stupid gas consumption)
EGR, 1 belt, anti freeze change, (2) crank sensor, 1 set of new plugs, brakes, 3 sets of tires, 2 shocks, 1 battery.

Both vehicles bought new in 05.

The Hemi's are running stronger now than when they were new.  Great motors.

People get disappointed when I tell them i have never had any problems with the transmissions.

i am not saying that they are the best designed vehicles, or the most comfortable or even sophisticated. Dodge trucks always looked like bricks and were behind the competition in sophistication and technology.

Dodge got it right with these trucks.

twodko

Yes sir. Again, roger that! If getting my parents-in-law around these days weren't an issue it would be a hemi Ram pickup no question.

A 300C hemi is the perfect alternative............searching. Vrooom always has it's place.  :D

One of the local dealerships has a very nice 2006 BUT it has some front end issues. Brakes/rotors for sure and a set of tires at first glance. Appears the OO traded it in when it began needing repairs and new shoes.

A 300 hemi looks to be in my future but newer fo sho.

Over.........

ACUDANUT

I can just hear them complaining. "your going too fast, This car is too loud, where did you get your license" . lol

twodko