News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will a motorhome 727 bolt onto a 383?

Started by cpthowdy1369, January 02, 2014, 10:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpthowdy1369

Hey guys, sorry if this is a stupid question but I have a chance to buy a 727 out of a motorhome and was wondering if it will bolt into my 383 69 charger without any problems.  Thanks for your help.
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!

A383Wing

if it's a big block engine in the motor home, it will bolt up to engine, but the tail shaft housing is different if I remember...motor home trans has mount above the housing?

what engine is in the motor home?

cpthowdy1369

A383Wing

make sure it's a big block..otherwise it won't fit...also, some had balance weights on the motor home tongue converters which your 383 will not reguire

JB400

You'll want to check how the shifter is hooked up.  Some of the RV's use a cable

cpthowdy1369

Ha ha, Thanks guys,  it's already sounding like it's not gonna be a "just bolt it on and go" job so I think I'll just get mine rebuilt.  Thanks again.

Bob

I used a 727 from a 440 motor home and it bolted right up. As written, measure the tail shaft.

Troy

Also make sure it doesn't have one of those weird flanges on the back. If it has a standard slip yoke like the cars you can use it but not the other.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

cpthowdy1369

I have asked for more info and pics.  I hope it turns out to be one I can use.  This guy only wants $125 and he says it was working when he pulled it out last week.  This would be alot cheaper and get my Charger driving again alot sooner.

cudaken

Quote from: cpthowdy1369 on January 03, 2014, 03:15:25 PM
I have asked for more info and pics.  I hope it turns out to be one I can use.  This guy only wants $125 and he says it was working when he pulled it out last week.  This would be a lot cheaper and get my Charger driving again a lot sooner.

Make sure you check the trans fluid first. If it looks brown or smells burnt pass it along. How many miles on the RV?

Cuda Ken
I am back

bull

It must depend on the specific configuration because those Hot Rod Roadkill guys couldn't get their motorhome trans to work in that 68.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106899.0.html

Troy

You're a bit too far south but I know where at least 6 big block 727s are for around $75 each. You'd probably have about that much on top of it to ship one. With any used transmission, expect a rebuild. The motor home transmissions - if you find the correct ones - could possibly have some beefier parts but it won't matter if they were burned up trying to lug the thing through the mountains.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.