News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SubFrame Connectors - 2" Square Tubing??

Started by 72Charger-SE, December 12, 2013, 10:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger-SE

OK...  I have some left over 2" square tubing and I was thinking....  hmmm... I could use this for the subframe connectors...

I have the plan to butt weld the front at the height of the current subframe.   The rear would be 'elevated' as it would be welded on top of the existing subframe as I do not want to cut into the floor and have to redo that entire design...

Issues:  Clearance?  Appearance?  Other?

In test fitting it you can't see the subframe connector unless you are kneeling down and looking under the car.   I would cover it in the undercoating I plan to use on the bottom of the car so it would not look 'out of place'. 

What is your opinion?

fy469rtse

Why don't you do like the us car tool ones and shape to your floor, much neater and if you check some recent threads, done properly can look factory , you could still use the tubing you have on hand

garner7555

I used tubing and made my own on my 69.  Worked great, I cut open the rear rail and slid the tubing inside the exsisting rail (little stronger this way).  Anything is better than nothing though.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dino

There are many options to beef up the frame and they all work.  Yes you can weld tubing in there and it will make the car stiffer so all you need to do is decide how you want it to look. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

John_Kunkel

I've always used 2" square tubing, it doesn't look stock but neither do the store bought rails to anybody who knows Mopars.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Brads70

While this is on my E-Body it still applies to B-Body's as well.
I used 1x2, 1/8" wall square tubing as per Neil's suggestion. I then drilled 1" holes ( might have been 3/4" I don't recall exactly) every 6 " or so and weled in tubing. This made a noticeable difference when I clamped in in my Bridgeport vise and tried to twist it with a big adjustable wrench. It REALLY stiffened it up with very little weight. The car now raises up the whole side when jacking the car up at the front or rear. IMO it made a big difference structurally in the car with very little weight and doesn't hang down too low. Just some" food for thought" hope it helps someone? :cheers:

comet_666

Here is what I put in when the floor was out.

comet_666

Here is what it looked like when done.

comet_666

And under the car..