News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440>512 build

Started by shone190, December 30, 2013, 10:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shone190

Hi guys,

I want to build up my 440 Charger 73', so I would like to see your opinions and suggestions regarding some parts :)

Current list:

- 440>512 stroker kit from 440 Source,
- Edelbrock 60929 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Cylinder Heads,
- Edelbrock 7193 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifolds,
- Holley 0-4781C - 850cfm, Holley Model 4150 Carburetors,
- HOK-5903HKR - Hooker Competition Headers, 1 7/8" Primaries and 3" Collector.

I am not so familiar with cams, rockers and pushrods, so I need some help, what to buy for this combo listed above?

Cam - ?
Pushrods - ?
Rocker Arms - ?

In Edelbrock 60929 Heads installation manual I see this:

- Adjustable rocker arm assembly
- Pushrods compatible with adjustable rocker arm assembly stock length (440 c.i.d.- 9.125" hydraulic flat tappet, 9.250" solid flat tappet).

So, what is your suggestion regarding these parts? :) 

Also, what I can expect whit combo like this (HP, lbft)?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Dodge Charger 440 1973, Audi URquattro 4.2l V8

justcruisin

The 5903 Hookers are not the best choice with eddy's. You will need to clearance the two pipe for both the 2 and 4 plug, the eight pipe needs a ding, if you have power steer it will hit on the 5 pipe and the two pipe will hit on the inner fender when the motor torque's over.

shone190

I just found this on other forum:

I talked to Edelbrock. Here is what the guy told me. Use the Edelbrock 7327 or the Fel-Pro 1009 head gaskets. Only stock exhaust manifolds, Hooker Super Comp 2", or TTI headers will work.

So this one is correct for Edelbrock 60929:  http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/hok-5209hkr/overview/

1974dodgecharger

hookers headers do work with eddy heads, but its cramped in there like previous poster said the 8 is dinged.  Mine is dinged and then you need to buy a see through half socket head to get it out or break the porceline each time to get it o ut. 

justcruisin

With the manifold/carb you are intending to use, I would go for the 1 7/8" TTI's.

shone190

justcruisin

Yes, get them coated if you are planing to keep the car. A bit pricey but worth it.

charger500rt71

Remember all the motor in the world is worthless without the proper trans and rear gearing.

shone190

BSB67

You have a nice start.  The rest of your choices will dictate where you'll end up power wise.  Cam choice, compression ratio and head porting can swing this from 500 hp to 650 hp.

The real question is what do you want.  Get clear on what you want for idle and drive/cruise characteristics and performance.  500 hp will be fast street car irrespective of the tranny and gear and generally have little impact on a street car that is already traction limited, but those will also effect the characteristics of the car.

The more clear you get with what you want, the better someone will be able to help you sort through the rest of the package.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

shone190

I want to build the car with great torque and that I can drive it as "everyday car", if I want to :)