News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

do you guys even listen to the radio in the car?

Started by 1974dodgecharger, January 01, 2014, 01:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

Just curious?  I want to put a radio in the car, but cant justify it I have all the wiring all setup, but having a hard time debating.  I enjoy the rumble of the sound, but when your cruising on the highway for hours on end the sound gets tiring and sleepy and im on the highway half the time.

Baldwinvette77

the radio in my olds stopped working for about 6 months, i drove for 3 hours in it, and fell asleep at the wheel about 3-4 times from the drone of the engine, i recently fixed it, and did 6 hours with motorhead blasting through the speakers,without sleeping :METAL:

But seriously engine drone does make you drowsy  :sleep:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on January 01, 2014, 01:07:21 AM
  the radio in my olds stopped working for about 6 months, i drove for 3 hours in it, and fell asleep at the wheel about 3-4 times from the drone of the engine, i recently fixed it, and did 6 hours with motorhead blasting through the speakers,without sleeping :METAL:

But seriously engine drone does make you drowsy  :sleep:

Sorry to hear that, well it didnt take much, but after reading your post I went ahead and ordered everything for my car amp, deck, subwoofer, speakers. 

Baldwinvette77

Bob T

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

jaak

In my daily drivers, I got to have tunes. Now in the 69, I don't have a radio, nor do I plan on putting one in the 68..... Don't know what it is, I just can care less about tunes in my cruisers. I love music (in fact I'm a musician), just don't care for it in my chargers. I actually have a CD player stashed away, and trying to talk myself into putting in the 68...but it will probably never make it.

Jason

myk

Depends on the car.  Like Jason, I'll put on the talk-radio in the daily drivers.  As for the Charger, I refuse to install a stereo in it; the only thing I want to hear is my exhaust...

fy469rtse

Cd mp3 radio, 600 watt sub taking up nearly half the back dividing area, 2 amps , 2 x 3 ways, 2 x 2 ways in the back, replaced centre speaker in dash with compact 750 watt 3 way tweeters in the side holes for dash originally premium sound package, 
Most of my trips with my teenage autistic son , favourite cars dodge charger, and he's got to play it loud , likes all music rock pop classic rock , has everyone looking because of the two sources of noise,
The car and the music

Ghoste

In the daily drivers yes, in the old cars very rarely.

Sublime/Sixpack

Depends on how long of a drive I go on. On the short drives I generally just listen to the V8 rumble. Music to my ears!
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

toocheaptosmoke

Very rarely do I shut the radio off in my cars, only when I'm trying to diagnose a new noise or the conditions get sketchy.  Usually the exhaust is loud enough to over power the radio when needed.  :lol: A stereo system is high on the priority list for my car.  :coolgleamA:

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on January 01, 2014, 11:40:56 AM
Very rarely do I shut the radio off in my cars, only when I'm trying to diagnose a new noise or the conditions get sketchy.  Usually the exhaust is loud enough to over power the radio when needed.  :lol: A stereo system is high on the priority list for my car.  :coolgleamA:

Yup, im pretty much the same, im a music junkie as much as i'm a speedfreak  :coolgleamA:

Wookie316

1971 Plum Crazy SupeBee. 400 bored and stroked to 511, 727 spinning a Dana 4.30

XS29L

No tunes just 3" duals on the street and open headers at the strip. Those are the sounds I enjoy the most.
MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

Kern Dog

Yes.
Long trips can be taxing to a man. Having a radio on, even if it gets distorted a bit when mixed with Flowmasters......Not a bad symphony!

XS29L

MOPAR OR NO CAR !!

bull

I haven't had the time to hook my radio up yet in the Charger amd after driving it quite a bit last summer I definitely want it in there. Besides, a black 68 would almost require the playing of some AC/DC once in a while, wouldn't you think? Shoot to Thrill is my car's theme song.

Dino

I need music. I can go a long time without it, especially sitting behind a 440, but when I need it, it better be there.  I kept my stock am radio and dash speaker which is great for listening to a ball game or something and I have a modern radio under the dash hooked to speakers in the rear (and soon in the doors) for music.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

stripedelete

Spent a lot of time in mine with no tunes.   Not anymore!
Had the factory AM converted to am/fm with mp3/iPod jack.  Dual speakers in front dash and two in back. 
Not going to impress any audiophiles, but, I'm REALLy looking forward to music in my Charger.

ODZKing

Mostly on trips like Carlisle or Moparfest.  Around town usually it's too much to hook up the FM and MP3 player.  By the time I do it, we're there.
I purchased one of those $500 radios for the 73 with the MP3 player jack and frankly I don't like it.  It works just fine but it is cumbersome to use and set up and just when you think you have it right, it's not and I fiddle with it some more.  The problem with having TOO many adjustments I guess.  I'm always fiddling with the TV too.  BAck in the day it was color and tint now it takes an hour just to get to the setup menu.
Anyway, I will use it for a bit in the spring but if I feel the same way, some one will get a great deal on it and I'll put my original AM/FM stereo back in that it came with.   :-\

polywideblock

i'v just bought a USA -630 11* 300 watt am/fm   ipod usb aux     http://www.ebay.com/itm/221242757947?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649  along with rear speakers and dash speaker for the charger    :yesnod:

I have the  earlier version of the usa-630  in the roadrunner (works great)   can't drive without music when I want it  :scratchchin:  but still just as likely to just go for a cruise  with the music off digging the exhaust note  

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

bill440rt

I never used to listen to music in the Chargers, & as a musician also I grew up as a music junkie. Music or talk radio is almost constant in the daily drivers.
After deciding to install a modern sound system in my '69, I listen to it quite a bit especially on longer drives. My son also likes listening to music in the car, even a bit loud at times.  :lol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mytur Binsdirti

Ghoste

A383Wing

radios work in all our cars, all the time, and play when driving

some cars got CD players, others have flash drive inputs

Lord Warlock

Listen to the radio all the time, especially on trips.  Only the charger has only a radio with no tape, cd, or other option.  AMFM will have to do in that car, until i feel comfy driving it long distance to a big show, then i'll have to install a radio in it too. 

My new challenger has a hard drive in it with 360 songs from the 70s, 80s, and 90s (mostly 80s) pretty much every album i bought in mp3's loaded to stereo, love it. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

HeavyFuel

stock AM radio......it's only on when I'm sitting still for long period of time for some reason, like picking up my son from school.

ws23rt

In my work I'm on the road a lot and the radio is my friend.  Mostly talk and news.

Back in the day-- :lol:---it was all about tunes and my favorite traveling music was the eagles or CCR :2thumbs:

I was pleased the the old radios in my Dodges still work and they are still my friend when going very far.

Mytur Binsdirti

A383Wing

no console or shifter either...you got ripped off

polywideblock

have you thought about one of those hidden systems

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Bob T

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

don duick

if you have quiet enough exhaust definitely yes. you would need a loud radio to overpower the exhaust and could be annoying. I wish the inside of my charger was as quiet as a standard new car. getting old cant stand exhaust noise anymore give me a radio any day

WHITE AND RED 69

Got to have a radio in all my cars. Exhaust is great but it's nice to have the option for some music. Charger has a receiver with ipod/mp3/cd/aux in the glovebox, usb run under the carpet to the console, 2 polk 6x9s hidden under the package tray, 2 3.5" speakers in the dash, and a polk amp attached to the trunk divider. Original radio is still in the dash so everything looks stock but has all the modern touches of a modern system.  
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Ghoste

Quote from: Bob T on January 02, 2014, 12:07:50 AM
Quote from: Cooter on January 01, 2014, 07:40:17 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on January 01, 2014, 07:37:55 PM
no console or shifter either...you got ripped off
:smilielol:

And the budget steering wheel  :lol:

Clearly the original owner ran out of money after checking off the engine option. ;)

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Ghoste on January 02, 2014, 05:43:57 AM
Clearly the original owner ran out of money after checking off the engine option. ;)

I'm sure that the extra $36.00 would have been a deal breaker.

Ghoste

hemihead

I have one in all my cars but never turn them on . I want to listen to what the car is doing . Besides , all they play on the radio anymore is Rap Crap and lame Pop . Nothing any good .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

RIDELIKEHELL

No radio in mine either...it was cheaper to buy an era correct radio that didn't work to fill the hole than a delete plate  :lol: The music is my 440!
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Mopar440+6

I'm a certified audiophile so I've spent a ton of money on car audio over the years. My daily drivers always have killer audio systems, even my beater old truck has a full system. Even though my Charger isn't done, it will be getting a full system if I ever finish it. My thoughts are that it will have the stereo when I want it and an off switch when I just want to hear the exhaust...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

Ghoste

As an audiophile though, do you not find it more enjoyable to sit still at home and really lose yourself in the music?

Old Moparz

Quote from: Mopar440+6 on January 02, 2014, 10:31:07 PM
I'm a certified audiophile so I've spent a ton of money on car audio over the years. My daily drivers always have killer audio systems, even my beater old truck has a full system. Even though my Charger isn't done, it will be getting a full system if I ever finish it. My thoughts are that it will have the stereo when I want it and an off switch when I just want to hear the exhaust...

That's how it is for me as well.   :2thumbs:

There is absolutely no way I can listen to a stock radio through a tiny paper cone in the dash, I'd rather leave it off. Years ago when my old cars were daily drivers, I had always bought a nice after market system for it. There were a couple of times the system was worth more than the car.  :smilielol:

The last nice system was in my '71 Scamp when that was a daily driver seeing 120 or more, commuter miles every day. I had removed & stored it when I sent it off to be painted & not sure if I'll put it back in yet.  :shruggy:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Mopar440+6

Quote from: Ghoste on January 03, 2014, 11:09:26 AMAs an audiophile though, do you not find it more enjoyable to sit still at home and really lose yourself in the music?

Absolutely, but I relate music to my life so much that I hate being without it. Yes, my vintage rig at home has much better sound quality and I'm usually not doing anything so I can just focus on the music but I HAVE to have music while I'm driving. Especially if its one of the mundane daily drivers. But if I want to go for a joy ride in the hot rod, sometimes I do just wanna hear the pipes ring but more than likely I'll have "La Grange" or "Panama" up as loud as I can stand it. When I had my '04 GTO, I loved throwing the classic rock folder on shuffle and going for a ride over the mountain. For me its almost like having a soundtrack rather than really listening. Make any sense? :shruggy:

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 03, 2014, 12:02:07 PMThere is absolutely no way I can listen to a stock radio through a tiny paper cone in the dash, I'd rather leave it off. Years ago when my old cars were daily drivers, I had always bought a nice after market system for it. There were a couple of times the system was worth more than the car.  :smilielol:

I sold my last Neon for $750. Then turned around and sold the system I had in it for $1800. :D That car was a POS go-kart death-trap but it sounded good. :lol:
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

Ghoste

It makes sense and music is a big thing to me too and I enjoy it in the car but I guess if I have it as any more than a background soundtrack I start to lose myself in it.  The same for the Charger without music I guess, I listen to the road and the machine and I get lost in that.
Two different but related visceral thrills?

Mopar440+6

Quote from: Ghoste on January 03, 2014, 01:11:36 PM
It makes sense and music is a big thing to me too and I enjoy it in the car but I guess if I have it as any more than a background soundtrack I start to lose myself in it.  The same for the Charger without music I guess, I listen to the road and the machine and I get lost in that.
Two different but related visceral thrills?

Very much related IMO...

billssuperbird

Fred

Quote from: Ghoste on January 01, 2014, 10:32:35 AM
In the daily drivers yes, in the old cars very rarely.

x2.  Besides, I have the mrs. sitting next to me. That should tell you something.   :rofl:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

Quote from: bull on January 01, 2014, 01:29:19 PM
I haven't had the time to hook my radio up yet in the Charger amd after driving it quite a bit last summer I definitely want it in there. Besides, a black 68 would almost require the playing of some AC/DC once in a while, wouldn't you think? Shoot to Thrill is my car's theme song.

Or some Steppenwolf........."Born to be Wild"   :yesnod:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

hemihead

Reading this thread , I now understand why there is so many accidents  :rofl:  :smilielol:  :lol:
  Led Zeppelin

FJMG

Nope, not even in my SRT8.
Everywhere I go people think I got lucky last night from my smile.
I respond with; "nope, I just drove here!" :D

Ghoste

GordonGriggs

If Im driving one of my Charger's there are cd 2 option's. I don't like the radio with all its needless talk and commericals.

1. Black Sabbath "Master of Reality"
  2. Boston "Boston" first album.

1974dodgecharger

well I got the system all hooked up, works, did some settings, and off I went!!!

Well it was not as I expected  :rotz:

1. Our cars our loud  :icon_smile_big: Im running hookers, magna 40, 3 inch piping all the way back, 509 cam, so she is loud!!!
2. I cant hear NOTHING even when I turned my volume near max yes now I realixe how loud our cars vs the stereo its fighting with each other.

so after this little experiemnt of spending 330 bucks for a component speakers, amp, and a 12inch sub I realixed a radio does not fit out loud cars.  I took her on the highway and my car is still louder than my radio.  I can hear the music, but its like a mish mash of music and the car going at each other....it did keep me awake better with some music in the background on the highway.

Overall I would still take the music even with my loud car roaring down the road it adds something else to the benefit of car drone on the highway........

polywideblock

think what your radio turned almost all the way up sounded like combined with your exhaust to the people on the street  :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: polywideblock on January 12, 2014, 09:45:54 PM
think what your radio turned almost all the way up sounded like combined with your exhaust to the people on the street  :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:

you know its funny before the radio I did not think my car was that loud at all I swear when I press on that gas she does not seem loud to me.  My X told me while driving on the highway she did not think it was loud at all when I mashed it in 4th gear I was dumb founded I told I swear my car is loud, but with music now to me the car is louder than I expected so I dont know.

Then again the modern cars are better sealed from the environments and she had her windows rolled up and everything cars these days are so better sealed from sound in the cabin.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: ODZKing on January 01, 2014, 01:47:53 PM
 It works just fine but it is cumbersome to use and set up and just when you think you have it right, it's not and I fiddle with it some more.  The problem with having TOO many adjustments I guess.  I'm always fiddling with the TV too.  BAck in the day it was color and tint now it takes an hour just to get to the setup menu.
Anyway, I will use it for a bit in the spring but if I feel the same way, some one will get a great deal on it and I'll put my original AM/FM stereo back in that it came with.   :-\

I see the ricers' tricking out their trunks with TV's, haven't seen one in an old car yet.   ;)

hemihead

I don't know how anyone else feels but I really don't care to hear what anybody is listening to in their car at a traffic light . Are people in that much of
a dire need for attention or to prove how cool they think they are ?
  Led Zeppelin

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: hemihead on January 13, 2014, 05:41:27 AM
I don't know how anyone else feels but I really don't care to hear what anybody is listening to in their car at a traffic light . Are people in that much of
a dire need for attention or to prove how cool they think they are ?

our cars our loud so that everyone hears..im sure yours is just louder than mine with my puny 383...I dont think your in dire need of attention  :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Other than the ones who specifically purchase an exhaust system to be loud, most of our cars are loud by virtue of the performance modifications.
If you add a 500 watt sound system to a tiny compact and turn it up so loud that the windows vibrate or so loud that I can hear it in my house in the winter time, you are causing serious and permanent damage to your ears.  You can't tell me that anyone is doing that because it makes the listening experience better.  Most of it is rap anyway.  Not dissing rap, but it likely is just as much fun to hear a guy rhythmically talk about killing cops, raping ho's and doing drugs at a tolerable volume than it is one where people are forced to hear it inside their house when the windows are closed.  If you can hear my Charger drive by when the windows are closed and you find it a such a level that you think to yourself 'how could anyone even stand to be inside that car?", I'll eat your amplifier.

Dino

You guys need to stick insulation in your cars.   :lol:

I can even hear my old am radio with single dash speaker easily, let alone the aftermarket system.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

jdscofield

I installed one in my current 74 Charger along with dynomat.  I was like a lot of you, just wanting to hear the sound of my exhaust.  However, I believe the last hot rod was a major contributing factor in my hearing loss, lol.  Now that I'm older, I want to be able to hear my tunes.  If I want to hear m exhaust, I just turn off the radio.
MOPAR or no car

Sublime/Sixpack

A car doesn't need to be loud to sound healthy. Mine sound good, plus they're quiet enough for me to enjoy some tunes from the radio when cruising. There is a balance to be found in most things in life.
I know one guy that runs open headers on his muscle Mopar whenever he drives it. I've driven with open exhaust before and after about 5 minutes I'm bored with the noise. :Twocents:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

hotrod05

The stock radio that is in my 68 does not receive radio stations that well. the main reason is because the frequencies put out by todays stations is not recognized by the older radios so I was told, plus I cannot stand listening to commercial's. so what I did was checked out what is called the Big Jawbone Jambox. bought it and I placed it on the rear deck of the charger. It connects via Bluetooth from your Iphone or Ipod. I'll say the sound if unbelievable,no commercials and every song that I want to hear. check it out on you tube. BestBuy has them for $249, amazon $269. hope this helps.

ODZKing

HotRod ... that is not true AT ALL.  I'm not sure who told you that but no way!
AM is still AM and FM is still FM. There is more interfearance on AM these days because of computers but if you are not getting stations, you've got an antenna issue more than likely.

wingcar

The wife asked if I was going to upgrade to an AM/FM stereo in my '67 Charger.  However after she heard the car with its new 3" exhaust from the headers on back...she stopped asking.  It sounds like it should be on the track at Daytona, and it already has a crossover tube.  May have to change out the mufflers (then again....).  Anyway, couldn't hear the radio if I wanted.  However, in my Challenger SRT8 I have satellite radio...so yes I do listen to the radio while in my daily driver.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

xoman60

I just purchased one of classic industries reproduction radios for my 69 charger. Now I just have to figure out what speakers to put in. Based on what you guys are saying and how loud my 440 is I think I will put some soundproofing down also.

lloyd3

I listen to my AM radio occationally, mostly I listen to 8-tracks. Lynyrd Skynyrd seems appropriate on a nice balmy day, or Petty, or Zepplen. Def
Lepperd sounds really good when you're hammering the gears. Fa-fa-fa-fool'en!  Green Grass and High Tides makes for good tooling along tunes.  For a few scant moments, I'm not such a tired old dog and I'm remembering just how much fun I used to have in cars like this.  A cold can of beer would go well with the music to complete the scene, but Homey don't play that anymore.  My exhaust is bone-stock, so unless I'm really pushing things hard, I can hear it just fine.

don duick

I bet not many chargers are quiet enough to hear a radio.

Ghoste

Mine are, in fact I would say that every muscle car I've ever had I could hear the booming 2 watt factory radio.