News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trying to locate build sheet

Started by thebigmope, December 31, 2013, 07:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigmope

I was wondering if any one would have any suggestions on this. I bought a 1970 charger rt- se v code car off e bay about 7-8 tears ago, has the original block fender tag no build sheet. I decided that i would try to track down previous owners and question them i was even willing to pay for the fender tag if any one had it. Anyway i call the previous owner and ask him who he bought it from and i do this through about 6 previous owners. The last one i try and contact a woman tells me that the person i am looking for does not live there and would not give me a number where I could reach him. I call again get a voice mail leave a message of what i am calling about and never get a return call. I then figured i would send a letter to everyone in the state with his name explaining again what i am trying to do ,there were about 30 people with this name in mass where this car spent a lot of its life. I get about 20 replies from people stating that they were not the right person and wishing me luck in my search. Then I get a call from the right guy who tells me that he is very upset that i was tracking him down, he owned the car about 20 years ago does not have a build sheet , even after he tells me that he restored many cars he does not know any more about the car so i ask him if he would give me the name of who he bought it from so i could pursue this and he tells me that ha allready spoke to who he bought it from and he does nor want to speak to me and would not give me the name. I feel that if i owned a car and 20 years later someone called me about it i would love to hear about it and would only be to glad to help someone out if i could but this guy was down right arrogant and would not help at all. Any suggestions of where i should go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated thank you and have a happy new year

Ghoste

It does suck but some folks just want to maintain their privacy.  Its also possible no build sheets were left behind in the car.  They were actually just trash by the end of the assembly line and its only luck when the workers left them in.

Challenger340

No accounting for how people are going to react these days, when contacted "out of the blue" by people they don't know ?
Strange times we are living in for sure, especially as you said, after you had explained what you were trying to do ? Seems harmless enough to me, but I am only one opinion.

I assume you have looked in all the "usual" spots in the Car ?
Up above the Glove Box ?
Behind the Rear Seat ?
just checking... that's where I found both of mine
Only wimps wear Bowties !

thebigmope

I did look everywhere in this car but no luck but i bought the car already disassembled i was hoping a previous owner may have found it and possibly had it somewhere which is why i was trying to contact all the previous owners ,all of them that i did talk to had purchased the car disassembled like i did

tan top

have tried looking  behind  the front seat back ?   :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Tilar

There is always the possibility that he's just being a dick, but he may not have wanted to get rid of it. He may have been in a position where he had to get rid of the car to support a family, or an ex-wife may have got it from him in a divorce and it's a sore subject with him.  You never know.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

myk

Quote from: Tilar on January 01, 2014, 08:02:31 PM
There is always the possibility that he's just being a dick, but he may not have wanted to get rid of it. He may have been in a position where he had to get rid of the car to support a family, or an ex-wife may have got it from him in a divorce and it's a sore subject with him.  You never know.

Owning an older car implies that someone cares for history, legacy and all that, so I understand when someone is desperate to find information on their car as the 'OP is.  However, I also understand people's desire for privacy.  Outside of this forum I don't really care for other people to know I own my Charger; I'd certainly be freaked out if a complete stranger tracked me down just to ask about the car.   :Twocents:

Ghoste

I've been on the receiving end too and in my case I was more than happy to talk about the car but it was still a little weird to be tracked down.  I can see some having a strong reaction but still, you have to try right?

Tilar

Absolutely. The only reason I said what I did was for the OP to maybe try to see things from the former owners way of thinking. I have tried to track down the original owner of my car with no luck. I did find a guy by the same name in town that was enjoyable to talk to. He talked about his wife's VW that she bought new around 70.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.