News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dyno Run results on my car ; Stockish 68 Charger R/T 440

Started by Bob T, December 31, 2013, 06:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

still makes me wonder and im waiting anxiously to see what I get on the 19ths.  I figure a 440 should get 350hp easily and at least 400 plus ft-tq unless he has a 73 year 440 or above in his car.

Bob T

Quote from: Cooter on January 05, 2014, 12:22:07 PM
Well to be fair here, spinning tures doesn't require as much HP as it does TORQUE.
This is why I lol when I see a musclecar posted on FB with 1000 HP and low profile tires.
Low profile tires have soft rubber, but a hard carcass. Neither on the street, require mych torque to blow them away.

Now, wanna see just how much loss you have? Bolt on a set of uber sticky tires and zip it up to tg e track.

True enough Cooter, but sticky tyres is when you see how the diff or drive train handles it when the power comes on. I'd rather haze the BFG's than bust some hardware.

I wonder how it would go on the dyno with alloy wheels and low profile tyres, probably a small increase for sure, but, since its not my usual wheel/tyres package it is pointless to b.s. the numbers with "on the day" changes or race gas..
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Bob T

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 05, 2014, 10:45:10 PM
still makes me wonder and im waiting anxiously to see what I get on the 19ths.  I figure a 440 should get 350hp easily and at least 400 plus ft-tq unless he has a 73 year 440 or above in his car.

Ahh the wait  :angel: Change out your plugs and do all the usual stuff you can ahead of time 74, I also put an inline fuel pressure guage on to check the pump was delivering. Ron suggested 7lb all the way through, I got around 6.5lb steady, was just one more thing to tick off.
A mate of mine made 269rwhp with his 383 68 Charger and did a 13.7 best, I'm hoping to dip into 13's but might be a struggle with the 3.23, what's in yours?
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

1974dodgecharger

fuel pressure guage, check!!!  Thx bob will get new plugs next week and go from there....

Cooter

Numbers at the feet always garner "somethings wrong with your dyno" type responses.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

re-reading the thread again Bob after my dyno and now im surprised your friend got 13 secs IM gonna try the track sometime when I get the chance and see where I stand.  I wonder what I can get I slightly did better than your friends and I think the torque is what made me happy.

My mods on the care:
Keith black pistons
steel crank from 68
RPM heads
hooker headers (3inch back)
M1 intake
750 DP holley thats tired and needs a rebuild.
3.23 gearing
diametere of my rear though is 30inchs and based on that it gives me a 'fake' gearing I think equivalent to 3.70 or something like that.

Quote from: Bob T on January 05, 2014, 11:22:00 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 05, 2014, 10:45:10 PM
still makes me wonder and im waiting anxiously to see what I get on the 19ths.  I figure a 440 should get 350hp easily and at least 400 plus ft-tq unless he has a 73 year 440 or above in his car.

Ahh the wait  :angel: Change out your plugs and do all the usual stuff you can ahead of time 74, I also put an inline fuel pressure guage on to check the pump was delivering. Ron suggested 7lb all the way through, I got around 6.5lb steady, was just one more thing to tick off.
A mate of mine made 269rwhp with his 383 68 Charger and did a 13.7 best, I'm hoping to dip into 13's but might be a struggle with the 3.23, what's in yours?

Cooter

Taller tires cut your effective final drive. More like a 2.76:1....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

oh cooter...damn Im forgetful now I remember why i 400rpms lower cruising on highway at 80 at 2600rpms vs 3k with 14inch magnums.

Bob T

74, the M1 will definitely make a difference.
Yes, keen to give my car another run down the strip after the mods and tune, a mate of mine has booked the local track on a Sunday for his company's work picnic, its in a few weeks time so I'll put some more results up when I have them.

:cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

1974dodgecharger

myk

Quote from: Bob T on January 21, 2014, 04:33:27 PM
Yes, keen to give my car another run down the strip after the mods and tune, a mate of mine has booked the local track on a Sunday for his company's work picnic, its in a few weeks time so I'll put some more results up when I have them.

I've gotta' ditch this Performer manifold and 'carb... ::)
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

BSB67

Quote from: myk on January 22, 2014, 07:57:03 AM

Which M1?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Bob T

Quote from: BSB67 on January 22, 2014, 07:28:58 PM
Quote from: myk on January 22, 2014, 07:57:03 AM

Don't know, thought there was only 1  :scratchchin:

Which M1?
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Ghoste

M1 is a series of manifolds from Chrysler, you can get single and dual plane versions.

Bob T

Well, bit of an update from the drags last weekend, unfortunately no p.b's as the ball end on the throttle cable broke on the motorway on the way down and it just went downhill from there.
I crimped a lug over the end of it and it held enough to get a couple of slowish passes and skids in but broke just as the lights went green for the third pass ( cue trombone wah wah wahhhhhh ) Trans was flaring a bit as I manually shifted into top as well, so the adjustment needs some work as well.

So, I'll have to try again when our club has another day . At least it was drivable home, my buddy popped his clutch in his chally a few weeks earlier and had to get a transporter $$$$$ home.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Bob T

Bit of an update of sorts..hardly really driven it much in the last 9 months...

The trans guy came over the other afternoon and found the pump pressure was low , he wound it up to 96 I think and now its shifting a lot more positively.
We"ll see how that proforms now...
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

1974dodgecharger

OH MAN BOB T it seems so long ago since you and I were talking dynos man....now I been on the dyno a couple times and happy with my 383, but im always looking at more power  :2thumbs:

Bob T

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on May 19, 2015, 01:05:01 AM
OH MAN BOB T it seems so long ago since you and I were talking dynos man....now I been on the dyno a couple times and happy with my 383, but im always looking at more power  :2thumbs:

Yeah, January last year. Feels like ages ago, hardly driven my car much, been away for 8 1/2 months on an overseas job. Just getting back into the car stuff now and finding the things that need doing or maybe planning some upgrades

Drove a mates 620hp Valiant the other week and that got me interested again ha.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.