News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New tool for old alternators

Started by charger1972, December 30, 2013, 08:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger1972

A383Wing

someone here on this forum was making these I think...

charger1972

Yeah, resq302. That article is about him making ,and improving on the factory tool.

ws23rt

I've had from time to time found a need to load the alternator to the belt.
What I do is to pull the alternator back with one hand and tighten the holding bolt with the other.  Am I missing something after all these years?

A383Wing

that's how I do it as well, but there are some vehicles that you gotta have the correct tool

ws23rt

1974dodgecharger

I use my left hand to pull the alternator with belt on and right hand to tighten the bolt down.  I think this puller it helps you pull 'hard' than normal with the hand.  I can see it can be cumbersome to hold the alternator with one hand to pull it.

Its kinda like the gas tank wrench not many people knew about the gas tank wrench until I mentioned one day on the forum it really helped me take off the sending unit and put back on with ease.

71charger_fan

I've got a tool that looks just like that I bought over 30 years ago. I've almost never used it. Most of the time, I've found it quicker and easier to use a pry bar.

resq302

Yup, that is the tool that I have manufactured.   :icon_smile_big:  Allpar took me completely by surprise with the write up they did on it.  Great bunch of guys/gals and they also have a nice, laid back show in the fall.   :2thumbs:

Just ask Moparjohn how we pinched his heater hose on his sunroof charger in the rush to get it back together, using a prybar, during a rain storm when his alternator stud loosened up and made some serious problems with wiring.  Mind you this all happened on a Dodge Charger Registry event where he drove over 3 hrs too!  If we had this tool at that point, I wouldn't have ended up pinching the heater hose.  To make matters worse, his car has a/c so that just added more to the engine compartment. 

To be honest, I wouldn't trust using the arm/hand method to tighten up the belt.  Especially with a new belt, it might not be tight enough and could throw a belt and trust me, I had that happen once and got stranded.  Not a fun thing and not to mention the havoc it could cause with your fan blades, and everything else in the engine compartment!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

RallyeMike

There are tools you need, tools that are nice to have, and tools that you start buying when you already have everything that is practically needed. I put this one in that last category. It would take me longer to remember where the heck I put the tool than to adjust it by hand.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

resq302

See, I just do the opposite. I keep this tool with me at all times in the emergency tool kit inside the trunk.  Actually, any tool that might help an emergency repair I try to keep with me.  Especially stuff that I can't find that easily say at either a Lowes or an auto parts store.  Again, if people want the tool, I have it.  For those that do not want it, no harm done.   :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Pete in NH

I bought one of the original Miller Special Tool alternator tools back when my 71 was brand new. It makes getting the proper tension on the belts a snap when used with a torque wrench and consulting the factory service manual for the proper torque value. Getting the belt tension just right on an AC car keeps things a lot quieter. This tool is indeed a handy one to have.

resq302

Brian

Nacho-RT74

I have been searching this tool for years on ebay... in fact I think posted on WANTED SECTION here looong time ago. My FSM is not with me right now to check the original PN for the original tool.

Count me on one for me pretty soon.

but wondering... why the curved shape doesn't meet the alternator contour ? I never have seen the original tool personally to check if also gets the gap like the one you built

just curiosity :shruggy:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

resq302

The original tool that I had purchased from my friend who was also a mechanic had an even larger gap.  I can try and post a pic of that and do a side by side comparison if you'd like.
Brian

A383Wing

it should not touch the side of alternator because if it did, it might possibly "dent" the side and then cause a rubbing problem inside

resq302

I think it would really take a lot of pressure to dent the casing as the windings are behind it.
Brian

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: resq302 on January 06, 2014, 11:44:20 PM
The original tool that I had purchased from my friend who was also a mechanic had an even larger gap.  I can try and post a pic of that and do a side by side comparison if you'd like.

:thumbs:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

resq302

Nacho, here are some comparison pics of the original tool that I purchased from a mechanic that I used to work with and the brighter one that I am currently making.  Keep in mind, I took a picture of the raw metal piece without the rubber channel and the dipped/finished product to give a better direct comparison.

top piece is the one I am currently making.  Bottom is the original FSM piece.

placed on top of each other to show the difference in the curvature.

original FSM tool showing how it hooks into the alternator.

Brian

Nacho-RT74

1974dodgecharger

It made a better hook.....I think I might ne3ed this to get tye tightest fit I can.

resq302

The old style vs. the one I had made had the tip go in too far and you could end up bending / breaking the windings inside the alternator.  Also, there was a good chance that it would have either bent or twisted the fin of the casing as the tip was very thin which allowed a lot of play.  My version does not allow the tip to go that far into the alternator to make the possible contact/damage that the original version could.
Brian

bill440rt

To avoid marring you could always place a rag in between it at the tip. Or cover the tip with a rubber plug, like the ones you find on the ends of new brake/fuel lines.
Right, Brian?  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Bill, or the tool could come like this......    :lol:

The pics I posted a couple replies ago I wanted to show the bare tool without the rubber channel or the rubber dipping to give a better picture.  The black rubber on the tool would not have showed a good gap between the tool and the alternator.
Brian

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Brian