News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 B-Body under dash reverse light

Started by dodge604charger, December 30, 2013, 07:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodge604charger

Im just about to put the entire dash assembley into my 68 charger but the only wire i cant figure out is the Black wire that comes from the under dash reverse light that lights up when you put the car into reverse. The car is a 4 speed car with a brand new wiring harness from yearone. On the passenger compartment side of the bulkhead connector are 2 loose wires with spade connectors, one white and one violet. These are supposed to go into the empty 'C' (violet) and 'D' (white) terminals of the bulkhead connector from what i have read but im not sure if thats the same for a 4 speed car also. It doesnt show in any manuals where the Black reverse light wire connects to on the bulkhead connector on the inside of the car. I Have the wire harness that has the 2 violet wires and a plug that come from the transmission switch to the bulkhead on the engine compartment side of the car and plug into the 'C' and 'D' terminals. Do i replace the white wire with the black wire from the light or where does it plug in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

timmycharger

I just went through this with my 68 and even with the factory diagrams its still confusing to me. I think I finally have it figured out. My car was previously an automatic that I converted to a 4 speed so it may be different. I unplugged the harness with white/violet that used to go to the tail light harness, and brought the white wire (which is power from radio) up to the empty spot on the cab side of the bulkhead connector, I pulled the violet wire that used to go to the tail light harness and brought that up next to the empty slot next to the white wire I put on the inside of the bulkhead connector. I then ran the black/white wire to the dash mounted lamp to the back of the bulkhead in an empty slot next to the other 2.   I bought the 4 speed reverse switch harness, which plugs into the switch on the trans, goes up the firewall, and plugs into empty slots on the top of the wiper harness. There are 2 wires and a jumper. One wire plugs into power (white on the other side) another wire is for the reverse lights going to the tail lights (violet on the other side), and the third (jumper wire) plugs into another empty slot on the wiper harness that will plug into the black/white tracer wire going tothe lamp on the inside of the car. 

Like I said, mine was automatic before so some of the colors may be off. But I tested this with a jumper wire and was able to light the lamp, so it should work.. Good luck :cheers:

dodge604charger

Thank you soo much, really appreciate the reply! Gonna take a look at it after work tonight. Just wondering if you have a 2 or 3 speed wiper motor. Do you know if the harnesses are the same?  Thank you so much. Made my day

timmycharger

No problem, I feel your pain, mine was a 2 speed wiper.