News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dashlights question

Started by tucknroll, December 30, 2013, 12:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

my clock, speedo, gas and temp lights work but it's dark at night in the oil and alt. do they have their own light and mine are just out or should the other lights brighten them?

tucknroll

also, if they get their own bulb, do I just pull it out or is there any turning or a trick to pulling the bulb out?

Pete in NH

Hi,

I think they are #158 bulbs. They are glass wedge based bulbs that mount in little black plastic holders. These holders then mount in the instrument cluster printed circuit board. They twist lock into the board, a quarter turn should remove them. Whether or not you can get at them with the instrument cluster still in the car I'm not sure, might be easier to pull the cluster free. You didn't mention what year car you have.

tucknroll

its a 69 charger. I think I can reach them after pulling my ashtray out.

JamieZ

The printed circuit board has a multi-pin connector that passes power to the twist in lights.   The connections between the pins and the board do not stand the test of time very well so it might be that the bulbs are just not getting power.  Unfortunately to work on the connector you'll have to pull the dash.

I recommend replacing them with LEDs if you do have them out.  They make LEDs that are exact replacements (bayonet fittings like the stock ones), and should last for another 40 years.  Not to mention they take less power, run cooler and produce more light.