News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know whatever happened to this 69 Daytona in Northern California?

Started by hemi71x, December 29, 2013, 06:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi71x

I would be curious to find out if any "oldtimers" in Northern California, ever remember seeing this Daytona in Grass Valley, California during the early, mid, seventy's time frame.
Wonder whatever happened to this car.
I took these pictures in 1976 or 1977, when i was stationed at Mather Air Force Base in the Sacramento, CA area.
Had the opportunity to buy it, but there was no way that an E-4 pay grade at the time, could have enough money to buy something like that.
Plus, didn't have a place to work on it, other than the base auto hobby shop, and living in the barracks, put a stop to those thoughts.
It was converted to 6 pack induction, as somebody did that early in it's life.
A shot in the dark, but i thought that i'd throw it out there.
Jim V.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

ws23rt

I have no information to help with this but I do like seeing the pics and would encourage others to do the same.

Knitting together pieces from the past are a big part of the hobby. :2thumbs: :popcrn:

billfury

Go to the C-body forum too.That's a 69 Polara under the covers next to it. Long shot but you never know.

tan top

seem to remember couple of those pictures  being mentioned in a thread on here a few years back , sure someone knew about the car  ,  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Don't know the answer, but cool to hear the Mopar stories around Air Force bases. I have plenty of my own from the 80's... Would be cool to find and now buy. Like you Jim, I couldn't afford a high dollar rare Mopar on E-3/4 pay. Like you, I lived in the dorms.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi71x

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 30, 2013, 09:59:17 AM
Don't know the answer, but cool to hear the Mopar stories around Air Force bases. I have plenty of my own from the 80's... Would be cool to find and now buy. Like you Jim, I couldn't afford a high dollar rare Mopar on E-3/4 pay. Like you, I lived in the dorms.

Didn't get this Daytona, at the time, but maybe a year after i looked at this car, a 71 Hemi GTX 4 speed car was on the "Lemon Lot" at Mather, and i bought that car.
That was a running, driving car from the git go.
A B-52 navigator student was finishing up his training and couldn't take that car with him.
So it was put up for sale, and i wound up getting it.

Kept it for 27 years.
That's where my user id originates from.
Was my California personalized licence plate on the car.
As far as i know, it's still with the car, as it went down to the Long Beach area of California.

Don't know if i ever tried to find out about this 69 Daytona on this site before, or not.
Probably over at Moparts, as i didn't find out about this site until about two years ago, or so.

hemigeno

It took me a while to find the post with your photos in it from before (knew they looked familiar), and finally hit pay dirt:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,88168.0.html

djcarguy

DAYTONA has some of info that matches up to a black daytona that was report wrecked in veneta ,oregon late 70es..  story is guy bought a black daytona  multi carb 2 4 barrel or 6 pack fronm cal or nevada.wood too big burn off down the street by his house then put it away. story  goes one day he lost control went in the ditch an fence an hit a tree before he got stopped..   wasted the nose an pas side ,both roof post an roof badly damaged.

i saw a ramcharger running around with bare polished wing on the roof several time west side of euegene or,wasnt able to get turned around an keep up withit on its way out of town.  tona said to have gone to rainbow auto salvage. saw ram in 79--82..    dj

DaytonaJim

I'm 90% sure I was parked next to this Daytona at a mopar show in Sacramento around 2005 or 2006.  The car looked the same as in the pics (unrestored) and was driven to the show.  The driver was a junkyard owner or worker and said he had recently found the car in a field, bought it, dragged it to his yard and got it running.  That's the story I remember.  The show was put on by Capital City Mopars, maybe they have more info on the car/owner.  It has to be the same car, its just to much of a coincidence!  Good hunting.  Jim
1969 Charger Daytona
1971 Challenger Convertible
1957 Chrysler New Yorker 2 dr ht
1957 Chrysler Windsor 2 dr ht
1941 Plymouth Business Coupe

hemi71x

You guys that own Daytons'a and 500's are in a unique click of individuals.
There probably is, and always will be someone, somewhere, that knows past history on their cars.
This one may certainly have been off the radar screen since the later 70's.
Does someone keep track of the 500's, and Daytona's that are still known to exist?
Jim V.

69_500

Yeah there are a few odd ball people who keep track of the 500's and plenty of people who track the a Daytona's.

ws23rt

Quote from: 69_500 on January 01, 2014, 06:36:46 PM
Yeah there are a few odd ball people who keep track of the 500's and plenty of people who track the a Daytona's.

:smilielol: :cheers:

daytonalo

Tell us more about your relation to that old heavy warbird , F4

Larry

hemi71x

Quote from: daytonalo on January 01, 2014, 07:57:37 PM

Larry

I was the crew chief on that Phantom, when i was stationed in Germany 1974-76.
When that base was closed down in the early 90's, 69-370 was transfered to a base in Texas.
When the USAF deactivated all the Phantom's from flying status, it went to the aircraft boneyard in Arizona.
Stayed there for years and years, until they brought it back to life, as a pilot-less drone.
Then it was used for missle practice, off the coast of Florida.
It got shot down, and now is in a bazillion pieces on the ocean floor.
Went out in a blaze of glory, instead of meeting it's fate with the gilotine, or wrecking ball, to be sold as scrap metal.
Since i don't have any more Mopar cars in my life, i use that as my signature picture, all over the internet forums.
Jim V.

ws23rt

Thanks for the bit of history. :2thumbs:  Being a gear head it reminds me of missed opportunity's to be involved with some of the coolest machines.

daytonalo

What was the last engines used , top speed non afterburner level flight and full afterburner level flight ?

I'm an aviation nut , had a hand restoring a T-6 and P-51

Larry

hemi71x

Quote from: daytonalo on January 01, 2014, 09:16:32 PM
What was the last engines used , top speed non afterburner level flight and full afterburner level flight ?

I'm an aviation nut , had a hand restoring a T-6 and P-51

Larry

Oh, boy.
I can't answer any of those type of questions.
Don't have a clue.
Back in the day the RF-4C's used J79-GE-15 engines. That i do remember.

hemi71x

Quote from: DaytonaJim on December 31, 2013, 11:40:20 AM
I'm 90% sure I was parked next to this Daytona at a mopar show in Sacramento around 2005 or 2006.  The car looked the same as in the pics (unrestored) and was driven to the show.  The driver was a junkyard owner or worker and said he had recently found the car in a field, bought it, dragged it to his yard and got it running.  That's the story I remember.  The show was put on by Capital City Mopars, maybe they have more info on the car/owner.  It has to be the same car, its just to much of a coincidence!  Good hunting.  Jim

DaytonaJim
I have been asking around about this Daytona.
The car that you posted about is a different one.
Yes, it was owned by a guy and his brother, that had American River Auto Wreckers, back in the day.
A friend of mine knows, (knew) of that car, so your right in remembering a Daytona at the local Mopar car show.
But this black one is still a mystery.
Thank's for your reply.
Jim V.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemi71x on January 01, 2014, 08:39:37 PM

Larry

When that base was closed down in the early 90's, 69-370 was transfered to a base in Texas.

Wonder if it went to Ellington Field. Right as I transferred from the Active Duty B-52 Base at Carswell AFB, I ended up at Ellington Field, Houston, Texas just as they were phasing out all F-4's and going to the F-16... I am/was a weapons loader and heard many horror stories of loading munitions on F-4's.... A weapons loader was almost guarantied disability due to knees getting wore out from loading missiles to foreheads getting whacked since the wings were so low........  I'll take a B-52 any day of the week......... hahaha..... No hitting your head on the wing pylons on that warbird....... If not Ellington, maybe Bergstrom AFB, Austin or Carswell AFB, Ft.Worth since there were Fighter Reserve Wings there.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi71x

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 02, 2014, 12:31:18 PM
Quote from: hemi71x on January 01, 2014, 08:39:37 PM

Larry

Wonder if it went to Ellington Field. Right as I transferred from the Active Duty B-52 Base at Carswell AFB, I ended up at Ellington Field, Houston, Texas just as they were phasing out all F-4's and going to the F-16... I am/was a weapons loader and heard many horror stories of loading munitions on F-4's.... A weapons loader was almost guarantied disability due to knees getting wore out from loading missiles to foreheads getting whacked since the wings were so low........  I'll take a B-52 any day of the week......... hahaha..... No hitting your head on the wing pylons on that warbird....... If not Ellington, maybe Bergstrom AFB, Austin or Carswell AFB, Ft.Worth since there were Fighter Reserve Wings there.....

We used to call them "Phantom Bites" when we drew blood, or got wached on the head, bending down, and under those planes.

It went to Bergstrom AFB Texas, after it left Zweibrucken, Germany.

We always had knee pads to wear, part of the equipment in the tool box, constantly bending down under them all the time, launching them out, inspecting them, and doing maintenance on them.