News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

buying used electric water pump....

Started by 1974dodgecharger, December 22, 2013, 02:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

curious if you guys would ever buy a used electric water pump?  if so how much do you think one should buy one for?

myk

Not me.  I'm assuming you're planning on using an e-water pump for your Charger?  Your car is way too precious to be taking chances with a used water pump; especially an electric one.  Just like the discussion we had about electric fuel pumps, I'd prefer mechanical unless there's some compelling reason you have to go with electric, although an electric water pump does sound like a trick part to run...

1974dodgecharger

I always thought the electric water pumps were better thats why since all new cars have them?  I have not seen a mechanical one like ou rs run off the belt off the lot.  I figured they made them reliable enough these days?

ws23rt

I wouldn't be nervous about an electric water pump. If it checks out to work than go for it. (check new price to get a handle on the used price).

There are many things that can go wrong with our cars that could leave us stranded. If that is what moves you to ask about this I would say watch the temp gauge and carry a phone.

Btw you could lose a belt that would stop the alternator and the mechanical water pump but with an electric pump the battery would help you limp along.

randy73

I would not do it, first off new cars have a pump made for the car. You do not know how long that pumps been used or if it was setup correctly, it could last 40 miles or 40,000 you just do not know.

A383Wing

the only issue I see with an electric pump, whether it's new or used, is that it's spinning only one RPM all the time....will it still move the water in the engine good enough going down the freeway at 80+ MPH for all day?

Bob T

Quote from: A383Wing on December 26, 2013, 06:35:35 PM
the only issue I see with an electric pump, whether it's new or used, is that it's spinning only one RPM all the time....will it still move the water in the engine good enough going down the freeway at 80+ MPH for all day?

Some of the newer types have controllers to vary the flow rates, just depends on where the budget is for how many extras with the basic package...search Davies automotive electric water pumps

But, I wouldn't buy a used one, can't guarantee how much duty cycle it has had, and it takes the same amount of time to fit a new one, only a few more bucks for piece of mind.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

ws23rt

Quote from: A383Wing on December 26, 2013, 06:35:35 PM

It's a good question :scratchchin:.  The pumps are not positive displacement pumps. (they can turn when the flow is blocked.)  So as the thermostat allows flow it will happen.

Another thing in the mix is that the air flow through the radiator is of course greater at 80mph vs 30mph.

The pumps are rated at GPM and if that need is met than that's cool :lol:

Cooter

Most newer cars do not run electric water pumps. Most are either driven off tge t-chain (2.7 turd Chrysler), or driven off tge t- belt....
Still mechanical...
Electric water pumps are for drag cars....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ws23rt

myk

What inspired you to start thinking about an electrical water pump?

fy469rtse

Good on you Cooter, electric pumps are for drag cars, less parasitic drag freeing up horsepower, would not buy use one on a street car, ? Why's the guy selling it , probably found out there not as good at cooling as the old mechanic one ,

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: myk on December 27, 2013, 02:14:38 AM

Saw a Craig's ad for one a morose one and i read they were the best.  He wanted 150 bucks saw they ran for 500 plus bucks figure i could give it a try and can convert back if wanted.....

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on December 28, 2013, 10:33:08 PM
Quote from: myk on December 27, 2013, 02:14:38 AM

Saw a Craig's ad for one a morose one and i read they were the best.  He wanted 150 bucks saw they ran for 500 plus bucks figure i could give it a try and can convert back if wanted.....

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, then yeah; might be a fun thing to try out...