News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Air shocks

Started by billssuperbird, December 29, 2013, 10:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billssuperbird

I have good rear springs but the car I think should be higher what do you think about air shocks.

FJ5WING

I prefer my car to sit higher all around, I went with +1" springs for my reassembly (I have them on my R/T and am happy) If you don't want to replace the springs I don't see the problem with air shocks.  :shruggy:
wingless now, but still around.

ACUDANUT

The rear should be in the air...I have a car with them...It's cheaper than adding a leaf or two.  Rides rough, but I like old school.  :2thumbs:

A383Wing

I got them on all 3 of our Chargers....no ride problems

Paul G

I am not a fan of air shocks. They are intended for station wagons and trucks that need extra load capacity once in a while. Cornering and ride will suffer with air shocks. They can be a band aid solution for weak springs.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Paul G on December 29, 2013, 03:47:16 PM
I am not a fan of air shocks. They are intended for station wagons and trucks that need extra load capacity once in a while. Cornering and ride will suffer with air shocks. They can be a band aid solution for weak springs.

your right if thats what you use them for. I am going to use them in sons Challenger to bring the back end up about an inch or so but I DID weld washers into the top shock mounts to add strength to it but I had the same thing happen, put in new springs and the car stayed the same height..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Paul G

Keep in mind that the lower shock mounts are weak. Air shocks, coil overs, etc. will put load on the lower shock mounts they were never designed for, and they will break. Ask me how I know.  :yesnod: :brickwall:
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Hard Charger

its been 30 years since I used air shocks but what I remember is turning. The car would lean hard, all the air would rush to the opposite side (shock). I think there is special valving that will prevent this nowadays.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Paul G on December 29, 2013, 05:51:50 PM
Keep in mind that the lower shock mounts are weak. Air shocks, coil overs, etc. will put load on the lower shock mounts they were never designed for, and they will break. Ask me how I know.  :yesnod: :brickwall:

Never had a failure...I have been using them for 30 years now.  The key issue is the load you put on them:Twocents:

Ghoste

I don't know, I just don't like them either.  I know some have good luck with them but I think I just fall into the camp that sees them as a bandaid.

Cooter

Not a fan, but used years ago.
Today, actually prefer the 'pro street' look with wide tires UNDER the fenders.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Yeah, thats what I always think of with air shocks too.  That 70's look with the rear end waaay up in the air, tires sticking out past the sheet metal and a Gabriel sticker in the back window.

Paul G

Quote from: Ghoste on December 30, 2013, 01:05:01 PM
Yeah, thats what I always think of with air shocks too.  That 70's look with the rear end waaay up in the air, tires sticking out past the sheet metal and a Gabriel sticker in the back window.

Bingo! Get a car load of friends to go cruising. Air the shocks up all the way to keep the fender off of the tire. And  BANG... the lower shock mount snaps off. 

Not a fan of air shocks.