News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

vinyl top

Started by tiki, December 25, 2013, 10:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiki

Do they make a one piece vinyl top on the originals or is the 3 piece?I m looking to put one on, all thats there now is remnents of a vinyl top that once was.(69 charger r/t)any help on where to locate one would be helpfull :cheers:

Ghoste

The Legendary tops are one piece.  It is made up of three but it comes to you as one.

moparnut

Just installed a Legendary top on my 69.It was a one peice .

tiki

did you install it yourself?I think some have a cotton liner can you post a pic i would love to see the finished product,ill be looking for a set of check mark molding  too :cheers:

rave_12000

got my last top from classic industries.  seems on front pillars like factory.  looks great.  20% discount code right now.

Ghoste

I think the Legendary ones have the cotton liner sewn in.  The others likely do too?

Lord Warlock

What is meant by a 1 piece vinyl top?  Usually vinyl tops come with a 1 seam or a two seam vinyl top.  While both use multiple sections that are sewn together, they both are one piece tops.  The two seam tops sold at legendary are 1 piece tops, and look great installed. 

Here it is getting installed, you can see the underside of the top

69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

Yes, I think he was just making sure the seamed look didn't mean you had to apply it in sections.

charge69

Mine is a one-piece and it was installed by my buddy/restorer and went on pretty easy.  He had done a few vinyl tops before and that made it easier. There are two types of white vinyl tops available. White and Pearl white. I was told the Pearl White is correct for my Charger so, that was what I used. I had to "special order" the top in Pearl White and had to wait about 2 to 3 extra weeks for it.

It, also, cost a little more than the regular "white" vinyl top but ...... I have spent so much money, I don't remember how much more it cost !   Ha !

RGA

One piece,  got mine from year one. No liner, came out perfect. I had an upholstery shop do it. They use a steamer to make it fit tight. Have a professional do it, no way I could have gotten it that tight and sharp.

moparnut

Yes we installed it yourself,got a couple tips off another site that worked well.Get 8 ft of trimmer line for a weed wacker and two heavy objects like full paint cans.Find center of your car top and put a line front to back.Tape trimmer line with a narrow strip of masking tape too your line on the roof.Then find center of your new vinyl top and mark a removable line(pencil or anything thats not permanent).Put your new top in place lining up your marks with the trimmer string,make sure you have enough material front and back.Glue top and roof,center to first seem 2 coats each allow to tack up and fold into place.Pull the trimmer string and glue center to first seem,fold into place. The paint cans were to hold into place while your glueing first section.Take your time when folding into roof rails .Trim carefully you can always trim more but can not add. Used 5 cans of adhesive at 21.99 per can.When installing trim make sure you seal around fasteners or water will drip into trunk and quarter area..Took 3 hours and looks real nice,with no wrinkles .