News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spark plug gap on a 440

Started by MxRacer855, December 31, 2013, 07:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

Just double checking the gap clearance on the new plugs for my '68 440 before I throw them in. I bought 8 new "Autolite 85" plugs and plan on gapping them to .035. Does that sound right to you guys?

Jeff

b5blue

MxRacer855

cudaken

I tried Autolite Plugs once, did not like them. Personally I prefer Champions. .035 is correct gap.
I am back

MxRacer855

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about them?

Jeff

cudaken

Besides the fact they are used by Ford in the day!  :smilielol:

Mine fouled out pretty quickly and the motor was not a oil burner. But that was all so 30 years ago  :scratchchin:, God I am old.  :eek2:

More than likely you will have no problem's Jeff. I am still a Champion guy, mainly because I am 99% sure that is what Maw Mopar used when Dad bought my by 68 Road Runner new.

Old habits die hard Ken

I am back

ws23rt

I too tend to be brand loyal.  When something works fine the new guy on the block has to pitch the latest and greatest pretty hard.

Also the differences in spark plug performances is something that is found in the laboratory.  We the users in the street car world seldom know the diff. :Twocents:

MxRacer855

:lol: I agree guys. I just so happen to match the plugs I pulled and that's what I got. I pretty much assumed a plug was a plug (minus special iridium plugs). Like you said, if it works it works. Don't fix what's NOT broke. Keep on keeping on!  :2thumbs:

Jeff

MxRacer855

I will make mention of this note though... my 440 wouldn't be described as an "oil burner" either... and the plugs I pulled were surprisingly black and rich. Hmmmm.... :scratchchin:

Bossman963

I have had problems running autolite on my 440 and use Champion and gap is .35 :coolgleamA: :brickwall:
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS

WHITE AND RED 69

What ignition setup are you running? Stock is .035 but if you are running an msd box or any other kind of ignition box the gap will be anywhere between .035-.045.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

fy469rtse

NGK 's for me, you running vacuum advance Jeff, don't let her idle too much ,

Pete in NH

Back when our cars were new they left the factory with Champion plugs branded as Mopar. I've always stayed with Champions for that reason. If you go way back into the 50's and earlier Chrysler used Autolights in their flat head 6's and 8's.

mopar0166

.35 is correcet, .50 if u have msd

maxwellwedge

I used to run Autolites a lot in the late 70's early 80's on my street/strip (mostly strip) car. They were 10 times the quality of the Champions at the time.....Champions were crap for the longest time.

MxRacer855

Quote from: fy469rtse on January 03, 2014, 02:57:09 AM
NGK 's for me, you running vacuum advance Jeff, don't let her idle too much ,

It's definitely a vacuum advanced setup. Hopefully MSD in the future.

A383Wing

Champion & Autolite plugs are made by the same people...just a different wrapping on the package

MxRacer855

If that's 100% legitimate... that takes care of that!  :2thumbs: :icon_smile_big:

A383Wing

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 03, 2014, 11:39:20 AM
I used to run Autolites a lot in the late 70's early 80's on my street/strip (mostly strip) car. They were 10 times the quality of the Champions at the time.....Champions were crap for the longest time.

same here....I could chew up a set of Champions in my 383 in under 5,000 miles....Autolites lasted 20,000 at times....

ws23rt

I started using NGK plugs in the early 70s because of this.  It ---I mean they---always gives me the spark I need. :o

MxRacer855

cudaken

Quote from: ws23rt on January 04, 2014, 05:26:49 PM
I started using NGK plugs in the early 70s because of this.  It ---I mean they---always gives me the spark I need. :o

I prefer bigger electrodes my self.  :D  
I am back

A383Wing

Quote from: cudaken on January 04, 2014, 07:10:11 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on January 04, 2014, 05:26:49 PM
I started using NGK plugs in the early 70s because of this.  It ---I mean they---always gives me the spark I need. :o

I prefer bigger electrodes my self.  :D 

"That's what she said at ya"