News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

question about coronet dashes

Started by polywideblock, December 26, 2013, 12:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

if I'm looking at a coronet with this sort of dash with the wide sweep speedo and tach off to the right 

how hard is it to switch to the dash with the separate dials like this   

is there a way to tell what is supposed to be in there ? which dash came with which model ?

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Ghoste

The one at the top was standard whereas the Rallye dash was optional and indicated on the broadcast sheet.  The dash frames are different I believe.

JB400

It's my understanding the Rallye dash was only available in the R/T's and the Super Bee's.  The other Coronets only got the first dash.

Here's a nice list to tell what the other Vin codes were between the model lines.    http://www.oldride.com/library/1970_dodge_coronet.html

Coronet R/T's were WS

polywideblock

thanks for the link    :cheers:    I thought the different dashes were from different production periods

Nacho-RT74

actually the R/Ts and SBs got the standard cluster BUT with 150 miles speedos, not with 120 miles speedo like regular Coronets, and rallye clusters were optional on the Performance models... same than GTX on Plymouths

Tach on these were optional too
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Cooter

Hadda 69 SB with 'Charger' dash. ..shoulda kept it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

Quote from: Ghoste on December 26, 2013, 12:43:20 AM
The one at the top was standard whereas the Rallye dash was optional and indicated on the broadcast sheet.  The dash frames are different I believe.

Yes, dash frames are completely different. Not sure about the glove box door but they are different between B-body & Charger. Wiring harnesses, etc are different as well.
If you're looking to swap best thing to do is to find a complete dash assembly, gauges & all.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 26, 2013, 08:15:14 AM
actually the R/Ts and SBs got the standard cluster BUT with 150 miles speedos,

Super Bees got the Rallye cluster as standard.

polywideblock

so are there specific models that had the 150 mph speedo ?

swapping to the 150 mph dash from the 120 mph dash  would only involve actually swapping them wouldn't it ?

car I'm looking at has 120 mph but tacho   

Ghoste

ws23rt

So is it true that a GTX dash unit is the same as the coronet of the same style?---Plymouth vs dodge---

polywideblock

Ghoste

ws23rt

A perfect answer :2thumbs:

If you could be a little more concise with your answers though it would be more helpful :lol:

Ghoste

Breaks down like this:

Super Bee- Rallye dash standard
Road runner- 120 speedo regular Belvedere instrument cluster
GTX and RT- 150 speedo regular cluster standard with Rally cluster optional.

I am talking about 68 and 69 here.

ws23rt

Was a non rally style 150mph speedo.an order option on the RR?  And even the tac. option?
I have never see either one.

Ghoste

The tach was, I don't think the 150 speedo was but I'm not sure about it.

Ghoste

Well, I just took a quick look on the Hamtramck site and the Plymouth data book for 69 shows a 150 speedo as standard for Road Runner.  So now I have to dig deeper.

ws23rt

Hmm---Sounds like a typo conflict--- :popcrn:

Ghoste

Possibly.  It could also be a 69 thing, I didn't look at 68 yet.

polywideblock

just to throw a spanner in the works I'm talking about 70 coronet dashes    :scratchchin:

Ghoste

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ghoste on December 26, 2013, 08:30:47 PM
Breaks down like this:

Super Bee- Rallye dash standard
Road runner- 120 speedo regular Belvedere instrument cluster
GTX and RT- 150 speedo regular cluster standard with Rally cluster optional.

I am talking about 68 and 69 here.

Pretty sure you won't find a Rallye Dash in a Plymouth until 70.
Pretty sure you won't find a 150 MPH speedo in a RR either. :cheers: (hmmm Maybe Superbirds???)
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Ghoste on December 26, 2013, 03:07:20 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 26, 2013, 08:15:14 AM
actually the R/Ts and SBs got the standard cluster BUT with 150 miles speedos,

Super Bees got the Rallye cluster as standard.

true!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

69CoronetRT

Quote from: polywideblock on December 26, 2013, 09:11:40 PM
just to throw a spanner in the works I'm talking about 70 coronet dashes    :scratchchin:

Same thing...

120 dashes for all but the R/T.
Rallye Cluster standard in Super Bee
Horizontal 150 MPH standard with 150 Rallye Optional in the R/T.
Different dash frames
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.