News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GL question for Dukes fans

Started by Ghoste, December 25, 2013, 07:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Exterior mirrors on the General Lee, what is correct?

rave_12000

whatever you feel like doing.  there were so many variations of the GL.  if you think it looks good with a dish mirror...do it.  I went with driver chrome remote, no passenger.  it is YOUR general lee.  build it the way YOU want it.  there are the obvious features...vector wheels, 01 on doors, some sort of red/orange paint, flag on top.  push bar on front and a cb antenna on back, tan interior...and doesn't even have to be tan.  WB had cars with non tan interiors...and it was "correct" enough to be in the show.  68/69/70 charger.  doesn't even matter.  good luck!

A383Wing

I have seen 2 styles...standard remote, and dual post style like on the 66 cars

as to which is "correct"??   :shruggy:

Ghoste

I'm not building one, I just happened to be looking at some photos and wondered if it changed or was consistent from episode to episode or movie to movie at all.

MoparManJim

Quote from: rave_12000 on December 25, 2013, 07:17:09 PM
whatever you feel like doing.  there were so many variations of the GL.  if you think it looks good with a dish mirror...do it.  I went with driver chrome remote, no passenger.  it is YOUR general lee.  build it the way YOU want it.  there are the obvious features...vector wheels, 01 on doors, some sort of red/orange paint, flag on top.  push bar on front and a cb antenna on back, tan interior...and doesn't even have to be tan.  WB had cars with non tan interiors...and it was "correct" enough to be in the show.  68/69/70 charger.  doesn't even matter.  good luck!

No '70's used on the show. Just '68 - '69 Chargers used. 

The mirror was a factory style dish one. 

myk

I'm surprised they never used the 70's sport mirror.  I've actually thought about installing those, myself...

Mike DC

TV series/reunions:  

They used both the remote and the non-remote factory '68/69 mirrors.  They always had it on the driver side and never on the passenger side.  The later-series cars with more consistency stuck to the remote style mirror.

A few closeup cars late in the series had the driver's side mirror moved forward several inches, sorta like on a 1st-gen Charger.  In the stock 2nd-gen location the mirror is prone to getting kicked when climbing through the windows.  

There were a couple times some other mirrors showed up but the intended appearance never changed.  It was always a circular-shaped chrome mirror similar to the stock Charger stuff, always just on the driver side.  

Many of the closeup & soundstage cars throughout the show had the mirror housing sprayed with silver paint to kill the chrome reflections.  If you recall the classic image of the actors in the car on the soundstage, with the phony projected backdrops outside the window - the driver side mirror was right where a film crew doesn't want a convex chrome surface!  

2005+ movies:

Consistency won out over quality & originality - all the cars wore parts-store generic chrome round mirrors.  They all had them on both sides this time.    

69wannabe

Quote from: rave_12000 on December 25, 2013, 07:17:09 PM

Very well said!!!!!

TexasGeneral

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 26, 2013, 08:53:05 AM
TV series/reunions:  

They used both the remote and the non-remote factory '68/69 mirrors.  They always had it on the driver side and never on the passenger side.  The later-series cars with more consistency stuck to the remote style mirror.

A few closeup cars late in the series had the driver's side mirror moved forward several inches, sorta like on a 1st-gen Charger.  In the stock 2nd-gen location the mirror is prone to getting kicked when climbing through the windows.  

There were a couple times some other mirrors showed up but the intended appearance never changed.  It was always a circular-shaped chrome mirror similar to the stock Charger stuff, always just on the driver side.  

Many of the closeup & soundstage cars throughout the show had the mirror housing sprayed with silver paint to kill the chrome reflections.  If you recall the classic image of the actors in the car on the soundstage, with the phony projected backdrops outside the window - the driver side mirror was right where a film crew doesn't want a convex chrome surface!  

2005+ movies:

Consistency won out over quality & originality - all the cars wore parts-store generic chrome round mirrors.  They all had them on both sides this time.    

What he said!   :yesnod:

Ghoste

Thanks guys.  My whole reason for asking was watching one of the movies recently and noticed it had the dual mirrors and that seemed odd in an era when they don't anything to interfere with the shot.  Made me wonder if the series cars had them too.