News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

quarter window problems

Started by thebigmope, February 23, 2014, 06:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigmope

I am trying to install new quarter windows on my 68 charger i have new roof rail weatherstrip installed and it seems that when i roll up the window it will not go into the groove in the weatherstrip so the window will not close completely i do not remember what brand the weatherstrip was and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone can recommend what brand roof rail weatherstrip works properly the regulators were never touched so i know that they are not the problem and the new glass is very close to the size of the original. If i remove the roof rail weatherstrip the window closes very close to normal. I purchased this weatherstrip at least 10 15 years ago and am wondering if the newer ones fit better any help would be greatly appreciated thank you, John

cdr

i got super soft brand & they fit great
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

thebigmope

do your windows roll up into the slot with these or does the window lay on top of the outside of the weatherstrip with these

Charger-Bodie

What happens if you stick you old glass back in? Just to narrow down the problem to the seals.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

thebigmope

I did try that and i have the same problem the only way the windows will close completely is if i take the weatherstrip out , the new window and old one are very close to each other when i stack one on the other i took this car apart about 15 years ago so now i dont know what brand these seals are since i put them on probably 10 years ago i have to look through me receipts and see if i have a record of the but i am pretty sure they are the problem ,and i am wondering how many people ran across this and how they fixed it thanks for your help , John

bill440rt

Have you tried adjusting the window stops? This will allow the window to be raised higher. As the window goes up & reaches the almost closed position, it starts to go forward also. Sometimes adjusting the rear stop will allow the window to go forward more.
The old seals conform & shrink over time, new seals take a while to "seat" in.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

thebigmope

No i can see both the stops and they are not touching when the window will not go any further

bill440rt

Have you tried pulling up on the window as you close it then?  :shruggy:
It might just be the new seals holding it up.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HeavyFuel

I feel your pain and ended up going back to my original rail seals, cause the repos don't have the 'channel' for the qtr glass to slide into.

This thread documents all of the gory details.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,98556.0.html