News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with Ashtray- is this for a '68?

Started by fozz71, December 23, 2013, 08:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fozz71

I bought this '68 Charger and can't figure out the ashtray- I took a pic of the ashtray and one of the hole in my dash. Are these correct or am I just an idiot who can't figure it out? The ash part of the tray is larger than the hole in my dash...so it doesn't appear to fit inside.

Thanks,
Jim

Ghoste

That looks like a 69 ashtray to me.  Your 68 looks like it should have the slide down door.

bill440rt

Ghoste just beat me to it.  :yesnod:

Looks like the ashtray is the more common flip-down style, but the receiver is for the sliding type. The sliding type is very hard to find, early '68 only.
Tried to do a search, here's an old auction I found for one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-CHARGER-ROAD-RUNNER-GTX-DASH-ASH-TRAY-PADDED-SLIDING-DOOR-BLACK-VGC-/350917462266?nma=true&si=nNDX4UsXy8OxVo1pfAUdNWTkAP4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thread on DC.com:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=95137.0

:cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

fozz71

Aww danged, wouldn't ya know it. My Charger is a very late '68 so I wonder why it has the slider version? So, I should sell the '69 version and hunt for a slider, I suppose. Anyone need a pull-down kind or want to trade?

Thanks for the help,
Jim

**Bill440RT- how sure are you? I trust your word if you are certain my carriage in the dash is for the slider-style.

Ghoste

I would, I think the slider ones are cool.

fozz71

To save a few bucks and headaches, can I find a '69 version with the receiver and mount the later style in there- receiver and all? The face plates are still the same, I suspect.

Fred

Quote from: bill440rt on December 23, 2013, 08:14:46 PM
Ghoste just beat me to it.  :yesnod:

Looks like the ashtray is the more common flip-down style, but the receiver is for the sliding type. The sliding type is very hard to find, early '68 only.
Tried to do a search, here's an old auction I found for one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-CHARGER-ROAD-RUNNER-GTX-DASH-ASH-TRAY-PADDED-SLIDING-DOOR-BLACK-VGC-/350917462266?nma=true&si=nNDX4UsXy8OxVo1pfAUdNWTkAP4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thread on DC.com:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=95137.0

:cheers:

Not sure if that's correct Bill, I'm no expert but mine's a late 68 (May 68) and came with the slide down as well.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

charger490

is this what your looking for

bill440rt

I read somewhere that the changeover was mid-year or so, later cars had the flip-down style. But, as you know with Mopar anything is possible.
That is why the sliders are so hard to find. Plus trying to find one with a good pad is even harder.

Quote from: fozz71 on December 23, 2013, 08:47:48 PM
To save a few bucks and headaches, can I find a '69 version with the receiver and mount the later style in there- receiver and all? The face plates are still the same, I suspect.

Yep, it would be much easier to find a complete flip-style & just install the whole works. It's only 4 sheetmetal screws so the whole thing should just fit right in. The rest of the surrounding pads are the same.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

And of course, what is the spread when the different plants are taken into account?

Moparparts

That one is either for a 66-67 B-Body or 68 A-Body can't see enough in the pic to know for sure but it is not a 68 B-Body

Quote from: charger490 on December 24, 2013, 01:04:58 PM
is this what your looking for

Moparparts

I have both types of ash tray assemblies available for the 68 Charger PM or E-Mail me

Quote from: fozz71 on December 23, 2013, 08:02:40 PM
I bought this '68 Charger and can't figure out the ashtray- I took a pic of the ashtray and one of the hole in my dash. Are these correct or am I just an idiot who can't figure it out? The ash part of the tray is larger than the hole in my dash...so it doesn't appear to fit inside.

Thanks,
Jim

Charger-Bodie

All 68 chargers were built at Hamtramk, right?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dans 68

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on December 24, 2013, 11:13:43 PM

No. Starting in early (March or April?) 1968 production commenced at the St. Louis plant. Chrysler had so much demand for the Charger that they had to increase production. As an example the vin on a St. Louis car would read "XP29H8G241618" versus Hamtramck, which reads "XP29H8B241618" (I used my Hamtramck built car vin as an example).

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

fy469rtse

Was going to mention that 68 are padded face to match dash pads as well as being sliders, bill beat me to it , and they are very hard to find as he stated

Ghoste

Dennis K

It should also be pointed out that there were 2 different versions of the 68-only sliding ashtray door, one for the rally dash in the Chargers and Super Bees and the other style for the Coronets and all the Plymouths. I found this out the hard way when I bought a door from a 68 GTX and tried to put it in my Charger. Didn't work.

Bob T

Quote from: Dans 68 on December 25, 2013, 01:06:41 AM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on December 24, 2013, 11:13:43 PM

No. Starting in early (March or April?) 1968 production commenced at the St. Louis plant. Chrysler had so much demand for the Charger that they had to increase production. As an example the vin on a St. Louis car would read "XP29H8G241618" versus Hamtramck, which reads "XP29H8B241618" (I used my Hamtramck built car vin as an example).

Dan

Right on. That explains why my old Charger was F8G and this one is L9B ,thanks Dan. For some reason I had thought they were all built at Hamtramck.
For the record the other one had red guts RR1 and slide down ashtray but I cant remember the build date, this one is blue guts QQ1 with flip out tray, built Sept 11 67
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Ghoste

Never knew there were two versions of it, is there an easy way to tell by looking at them?

fy469rtse

Only by the obvious padded face to match dash pads, cleaner look, 69's with just the metal look recessed compared to the pad , I like the 68's better,
I wonder if
PG Classics when he finally gets the other pads released if he will also include these ?

Ghoste

I mean the two versions of the sliding door.

fy469rtse

Only one type of slider , I think they were saying that some 68 cars got the flip out or lever type of tray late on in the year

Dennis K

Sorry I don't have any measurements, but the non-rally dash version of the sliding ashtray door has much thicker padding at the top with more taper than the Charger/rally dash version. I'm just guessing it's about an inch thick at the top. The non-rally dash pads have a totally different contour to them.

Ghoste

Thanks Dennis, good to know during those swap meet hunts.

Dennis K

In a post above, bill440rt posted a link to an ebay item with some very good pictures of what I am sure is the non-rally dash version of the door. Notice how thick the padding is at the top. Apparently the seller also believes it will fit Chargers too, but it won't. I hope the buyer didn't try to put it in a Charger. Maybe someone here could post a few pics of the Charger one for comparison?

bill440rt

It was really tough finding pics of one, that was the closest I could muster.  :cheers:
They are very hard to find.  :yesnod:

JamieZ

My 68 charger has the slider ash tray (I couldn't figure out how to open it at first!).  I'll try and snap some pictures of it, this weekend.

el dub

Here's one. Fred has a pic of a clean one too.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ghoste

Look at all the burn marks up in the top of the compartment.  :lol:

el dub

Yea, I didn't plate that cause I'm still a smoker. Besides that you have to take your eyes off the road to put the butt out in the normal area. And sparks blow out on the carpet. Good thing was the sparks would not burn a hole in the original carpet, but will in an aftermarket carpet.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

JamieZ

Bob T

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

bill440rt

Moparparts

That is in nice shape for a slide type but i wonder if the pad is for a Charger with rally dash or a Road Runner with standard dash as they have it listed incorrectly as fitting both. The pads on the door are different for standard to rally dash applications. Even the non padded tilt type ash tray doors are different from standard to rally dash on the 68 to 69 and the 70 as well

Quote from: bill440rt on January 04, 2014, 08:28:11 AM
I was browsing on eBay this morning and came across this & remembered this thread.
Maybe this will help?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-68-dodge-charger-gtx-road-runner-ashtray-dash-pad-assembly-oe-exc-super-bee-/181294323691?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a35fbd7eb&vxp=mtr

bill440rt

Exactly.
I couldn't tell from his pics alone. Maybe contact the selling to find out what car specifically it came out of?  :shruggy:

Quote from: Moparparts on January 04, 2014, 01:37:17 PM
That is in nice shape for a slide type but i wonder if the pad is for a Charger with rally dash or a Road Runner with standard dash as they have it listed incorrectly as fitting both. The pads on the door are different for standard to rally dash applications. Even the non padded tilt type ash tray doors are different from standard to rally dash on the 68 to 69 and the 70 as well

Quote from: bill440rt on January 04, 2014, 08:28:11 AM
I was browsing on eBay this morning and came across this & remembered this thread.
Maybe this will help?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-68-dodge-charger-gtx-road-runner-ashtray-dash-pad-assembly-oe-exc-super-bee-/181294323691?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a35fbd7eb&vxp=mtr

fozz71

If any of you guys need a slider receiver- I have a spare available. No sure what car it fits, but if you can figure that out- its available.

Thanks,
Jim