News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gas tank removal

Started by Evolution69, September 03, 2013, 08:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evolution69

Hi guys
Need to remove gas tank from 68 charger, had a quick look today, see two straps, but if someone could please give me a quick low down/steps so i go in prepared..

Thank you very much for you're time.
Matching numbers 1968 Dodge Charger RT

"Because bad guys always drove Chargers" - Richard Hammond

1974dodgecharger

1. empty tank low as possible.
2.undo the two J bolts
3. slowly release tank from filter neck and straps.
4. straps unhook by a side action
5....you could ask for help to do all this...

68 RT

Disconnest the fuel lines and filler neck. You can also use a floor jack is you have no way of removing the fuel. Also depending on how rusty your car is you may just want to cut the straps and buy neew ones.   :cheers:

1974dodgecharger

yup that too...as above said.  I bought new everything since it was down even though it worked fine.

Evolution69

Evolution69

Hi guys I got the 2 j bolts off, disconnected the fuel filler pipe from where it attaches too the rear quarter panel, the pipe is still attached too the tank, will the tank drop down with the fuel filler pipe attached?, Or do I have to discconnect t from the tank? (how)? all so there are some wires attached that go in the middle off where the 2 j bolts where, how do I remove these?

Thank you kindly for you're help.

resq302

Its kind of tricky.  You need to unscrew the trunk floor to filler neck seal also and then try to drop the tank a little, then rotate and twist the filler tube up and out of the tank a little, then go back and drop the tank down again a little.  Try spraying a little lubricant where the donut seal is that the filler tube goes into and that should help ease the pain of getting the tube out of the tank.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Evolution69

MxRacer855

I just used this post to drop my tank, and I'm completely surprised with how easy that was.