News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 NSS

Started by J-440, December 23, 2013, 09:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

Ok, we've been through this before but I need to know who has a single prong neutral safety switch for a 68 Charger with a 727 auto.  Doesn't need to be NOS as this is not a numbers matching car.  Thanks again. :2thumbs:
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

terrible one

Depending on how much you care about originality, what I did was use the newer (and cheaper) style NSS, just use the center pin only. Then again, looking at the picture in the auction John linked to, you might have to modify the connector; I made my NSS harness from scratch so I just used what fit the pin on the switch I had.

J-440

$47 not a bad deal!!  Yeah I have a 3 prong switch now and tried to use the center pin only, but my lights still were not coming on. Knowing my electrical skills, it's probably a wiring issue and I'm wasting money.  Thanks again and ya'll have a Merry Christmas.

Ghoste

When I first got my 67 someone had put a three prong switch on there and wired the connector into the old harness and it worked well.  I did later get a correct one for it.

J-440

Ghoste...I got with Nacho last week and he told me how to wire it up the 3 prong switch.  Pretty straightforward and my lights still don't work.  I'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy the 1 prong switch.  Don't remember what switch the car came with as this was 13 years ago when I began the teardown.  I also heard that the "rooster" lever inside the tranny had to jive with the correct switch.  I was told that the 68 tranny could accept the 3 prong and the single prong.  That all changed in 69 and up though.  Am I correct, am I gonna waste $47, what are your thoughts?

A383Wing

from what I have heard and read...the switches are not interchangeable..you have to use the correct switch with the correct actuating lever inside the trans

J-440

383...ok bud you just gave me an excuse to buy more crap on Ebay.  When my wife finds out, I'm blaming you!! Hey thanks again. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

The trans in my 67 is from a 71 model.

A383Wing

Quote from: J-440 on December 26, 2013, 07:52:09 PM
  383...ok bud you just gave me an excuse to buy more crap on Ebay.  When my wife finds out, I'm blaming you!! Hey thanks again. :2thumbs:

go ahead..just tell her to get in line...and it's a long one

Bob T

Quote from: J-440 on December 26, 2013, 07:16:17 PM
Ghoste...I got with Nacho last week and he told me how to wire it up the 3 prong switch.  Pretty straightforward and my lights still don't work.  I'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy the 1 prong switch.  Don't remember what switch the car came with as this was 13 years ago when I began the teardown.  I also heard that the "rooster" lever inside the tranny had to jive with the correct switch.  I was told that the 68 tranny could accept the 3 prong and the single prong.  That all changed in 69 and up though.  Am I correct, am I gonna waste $47, what are your thoughts?

John Kunkel had a good thread a while back with all the different rooster combs and what works with what switch, have a look around with the search tab function.
I have a 69 trans in a 68 car and had to mod my wiring loom to suit, but I did it in the console with micro switches not underneath with the correct trans switch as they are impossible to get out here.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Ghoste

ANd as I think about it, my 67 trans is a mutt so who knows what it has internally.

A383Wing

you might try local trans shop...they may have some around

John_Kunkel

Quote from: J-440 on December 26, 2013, 07:16:17 PM
I was told that the 68 tranny could accept the 3 prong and the single prong.  That all changed in 69 and up though. 

Not all 68's will accept the 3-prong switch, May 15 1968 was the introduction date for the 3-prong.

If a 3-prong switch is installed in a trans that's configured for a single-prong switch and it's wired correctly, the BU lights will stay on in all forward gears. If they don't come on at all something else is wrong.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.